Sign in with
Your question

Geforce4 TI 4200 or ATI 9000 PRO

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 1, 2002 5:22:43 PM

I'm wanting to upgrade the family computer from it's 1.4Ghz (P4), 128MB RAMBUS, 32MB TNT2 form to a 1.4Ghz, 384MB, 128MB Video (ATI 9000 Pro or Geforce4 TI 4200).

I have to get a new case, the current PS is only 240Watts and Gateway has the case designed so it will only take PS's that are very small (it's a midtower case).

Any recommendations? (sorry for the lousy spelling).
I want to do it for $340< on parts, I figure a good case with a 350W PS would run my $40-$60, and 256MB 800Mhz Rambus will run me around $100, and a new heatsink/fan combo with a rear fan should total around $40, so I'd have $100-$140 for a graphics card.

I have a 17' EV700 CRT if that helps.

thanks
November 1, 2002 5:59:29 PM

There´s no question about it, the GeForce.

Oh, and you don´t have to upgrade the whole case if you don´t feel like it, just get a new power-suply.

<font color=red>I´m starting to feel like a real computer consultant.</font color=red>
November 1, 2002 7:21:15 PM

I agree with Ghostdog. You will get much better performance out of a Ti4200 and you can get it for under $130.00. Go to pricewatch.com
Related resources
November 1, 2002 7:33:17 PM

Another vote for the Geforce4 TI 4200.

I'll sell you a 9000PRO.
I have it posted in the classified section.

<font color=red><i>Doctor Hooter</i></font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.page3.com/" target="_new"><b>(·Y·)</b></A>
November 1, 2002 8:18:15 PM

The GeForce is the only option in your situation.

In a world without <font color=red>walls </font color=red>or <font color=green>fences </font color=green>, what use have we for <font color=red>Windows </font color=red>or <font color=green>Gates.</font color=green>
November 2, 2002 11:59:45 AM

You can't go wrong with a Ti4200.

From your post it looks like you are keeping your processor, adding ram, and changing the video card and that's it. That will add a few watts to your system but not a lot so if you are stable now there is always a chance that the new config will run on the existing power supply. No reason not to get the memory and video card and see if it runs. At the first lock up I would assume you need a bigger psu, but why not try it out.

John A
November 2, 2002 4:29:29 PM

I agree,id go for a ti4200

<font color=blue><b>British and proud of it</b></font color=blue> :wink:
November 2, 2002 6:40:57 PM

If you live in Canada... (they may ship to the US as well)

Future Shop has Retail ATI 8500LE 128mb cards for CDN$170 (US$100) 'til Nov 5th.

I picked one up yesterday - default clock is 250/250 ("full" 8500 is 275/275) - mine looped 3Dmark2001 all night @ 315/305!

- JW
November 2, 2002 8:25:39 PM

That's strange considering the Future Crap Shop down the street from me sells the BBA Radeon 8500LE for 149.95 CDN. But that may be because the Best Crap Buy next to the Future Crap Shop is selling it for $149.95 too.

<font color=red><i>Doctor Hooter</i></font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.page3.com/" target="_new"><b>(·Y·)</b></A>
November 2, 2002 8:28:21 PM

Ah the amount of Crap Canada has!

Hmm I didn't even know we had Best Buy in Canada, thought that was a US place.

--
The worst of enemies shall be prone to later be the best of friends. -Eden
November 2, 2002 8:50:24 PM

They just opened seven stores in Toronto.
They suck. All low end to low mainstream crap. But they do sell nice mice and keyboards. And they incorrectly price full versions of Office XP at upgrade version price.

November 2, 2002 11:05:56 PM

IIRC didn't Best Buy take over FutureShop? I just have a somewhat comical thing to share.

I was recently at Futureshop, and they had a few special HP comps. They were marked for people who are very into graphics.... And yes, the video card was a GF4 MX420....

And it's annoying to see this:

Quite a nice system with a 2.53GHz, 512MB DDR, 80GB HDD and such, and then the video is the <i>awesome</i> INTEL EXTREME GRAPHICS!!!! w00t!

...And all the King's horses and all the King's men couldn't put my computer back together again...
November 2, 2002 11:55:20 PM

Best Crap Buy built all brand new stores. Usually on property within a few hundred yards of a Future Crap Shop.
Considering Future Crap Shop is well established mail in rebate superstore I would think Best Crap will have a tough time competing against them. They essentially sell the same product lines in all departments. Low end cheap garbage. They're good places to go when you need a cheap appliance, TV, stereo, computer accessory, etc.

November 3, 2002 12:39:39 AM

As I said, didn' Best *crap* buy out FS?

...And all the King's horses and all the King's men couldn't put my computer back together again...
November 3, 2002 12:43:46 AM

Yup right <A HREF="http://www.engsoc.org/~sammy/theworldmirror/m1v17/news/..." target="_new">here</A>. It's odd that Best Buy would open up stores right near FS though. Isn't that kinda competing against themself?

November 3, 2002 1:24:01 AM

ROFLOL

I found more info on it.

===========================================================
About Future Shop Ltd.
Future Shop, a wholly owned subsidiary of Best Buy Co., Inc. (NYSE: BBY), is Canada’s largest, fastest-growing national retailer and e-tailer of consumer electronic products for the digital age, with 95 stores and the nation’s premier web store, at futureshop.ca. Future Shop and its more than 8,000 associates are committed to providing Canadians with expert service; the latest digital products such as DVD movies and wireless Internet devices; and a wide selection of televisions, computers, music and appliances. For more information about Future Shop, visit the company’s Web site at http://www.futureshop.ca/.

About Best Buy Co., Inc.
Minneapolis-based Best Buy Co., Inc. (NYSE: BBY) is North America's number one specialty retailer of consumer electronics, personal computers, entertainment software and appliances. The Company operates retail stores and commercial web sites under the names: Best Buy (BestBuy.com), Future Shop (FutureShop.ca); Magnolia Hi-Fi (MagnoliaHiFi.com), Media Play (MediaPlay.com), On Cue (OnCue.com), Sam Goody (SamGoody.com), and Suncoast (Suncoast.com). The Company reaches consumers through more than 1,900 retail stores in the U.S., Canada, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

===========================================================

Its really ironic how this wasn't in the news where I live.

It makes really good business sense to own two identical businesses with the same overhead.
Bye bye future shop you're going on the chopping block.

November 3, 2002 12:42:17 PM

LOL... yeah, well if Best Buy had of came into the Canadian market to compete, you can be pretty sure who would've lost...

November 4, 2002 12:26:44 AM

I was told 240Watts was to little.

Here's my current items I'm considering.

Albatron Geforce4 TI 4200 128MB DDR
256MB (2-128MB) Corsair Rambus 800mhz (I'm not sure if I need ECC or Non-ecc. when I boot into the BIOS it says the RAM Configuration is NON-ECC. Is this accurate usually?)
Rear slot fan

I figure for a new case I'll add in a Just for PC Midtower w-350W PS, and a front fan.

I also need a new heatsink, the current one makes tons of noise anymore.

Do you think I need a new PS? I know it's up to me, but if I can avoid swapping out the motherboard I'll be one happy camper.

Oh, I know my motherboard has an AGP 2X slot. The Geforce4 TI 4200 is compatible with 2X though, right.

who uses Best Buy or Radio Shack for anything but seeing how much the prices have been inflated?
November 4, 2002 1:03:25 AM

Yes 240w IS too little. No one would recommend 240W for your system. But if you knew how many user have replaced their 450W brand x with a 300w brand y and it solved their problems, (where x and y are interchangeably antex and enermax or any other brand!) you would realize that you just might have a honey on your hands right now.

You never know. Based on the amount of wattage you are adding, I say give it a try. Might save you a mobo and a psu. Just be patient because as in building any system you may encounter unforseen problems, one of which is always power.

<font color=green>A ship in the harbor is safe, but that's not what ships are made for</font color=green>

John A
November 4, 2002 1:44:36 PM

you mean get the new case w-PS or just use the current one and see if it runs OK?

I've heard some bad things about some PS makers, I think I read on this site about some 550Watter actually being about 446Watts. I definately don't need that much power, but I figured I needed a minimum of 300Watts.
November 4, 2002 2:06:44 PM

I'm suggesting that you see if the current case+psu will do the job. When you've got a stable system and you do nothing but add some ram and switch video cards there is a decent chance that your current psu will do the job. But if the new ram + videocard shows any instability, the odds are good that it is the fault of that old psu.

John A
a b U Graphics card
November 4, 2002 6:43:24 PM

I'd just get the card and some extra memory. BTW, a lot of Gateway cases had extra holes for mounting the full sized power supply, but the power plug would end up covered...you can always cut a notch in the case there.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
November 5, 2002 12:56:47 AM

Geforce4 TI4200 has AGP 4x, and ATI 9000PRO has AGP 8x, to your experiments the TI 4200 is still better than?
Thanks
November 5, 2002 8:21:45 PM

Yes, it is. AGP8x makes no difference in performance on modern cards.

By the way, another vote for Ti 4200 in general, they own, I have one, they outperform Radeon9000 by a lot for similar prices.

-Col.Kiwi
November 6, 2002 4:26:04 AM

Similar price? I picked up a raedon9000pro for 9800yen, cheapest geforceti4200 i've seen is 18000 yen. Guess it depends where you live.

EDIT: Thats 80 us dollar versus 147 us dollar. I'll take the raedon thanks ;) <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by bjon045 on 11/06/02 01:27 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
November 6, 2002 2:57:56 PM

But price isn´t everything, not if you play a lot of games.

<font color=red>I´m starting to feel like a real computer consultant.</font color=red>
November 6, 2002 7:37:21 PM

On pricewatch.com the 128MB models are $34 apart.

Not cheap change, but not alot either.
If I had a faster CPU I would opt for the Geforce4 TI 4400.

oh, 8X AGP doesn't matter since my motherboard has a 2X slot, and no games use the 2.1GB ps bandwith anyway. Maybe in the future, right now it's nothing more than a technology appeal.
!