Cold Mastery questions

With a level 20 cold mastery and +7 to skills, Cold Mastery says it
pierces 150% resistance. Does than mean the Uber boss who is immune to
cold with 150% resistance will be reduced to 0% resistance?

Also would that push other monsters resists negative meaning they would
take more dmg from cold, only from you of course, the resist reduction
is only for you I know that.

"The Shadow" <a@b.com> wrote in message
> With a level 20 cold mastery and +7 to skills, Cold Mastery says it
> pierces 150% resistance. Does than mean the Uber boss who is immune to
> cold with 150% resistance will be reduced to 0% resistance?
>
> Also would that push other monsters resists negative meaning they would
> take more dmg from cold, only from you of course, the resist reduction
> is only for you I know that.

Cold mastery doesn't break immunity. If you have another source of lower
resist or conviction to break the immunity then cold mastery works on top of
that.

So an infinity poleweapon on the merc would totally do it. Conviction
from the Infinity to break the immunity and cold mastery would kill the
rest of the resistance.

The Shadow wrote:
> So an infinity poleweapon on the merc would totally do it. Conviction
> from the Infinity to break the immunity and cold mastery would kill the
> rest of the resistance.

Probably not. COnviction works at 1/5 effectiveness against immunities.
So, you would need Conviciton at 251% (or something) to get a Cold
Immune down to 99. Then Cold Mastery would kick in.

Something at 150 Cold Resist would be pretty much unbreakable. Sorry,
should have made that clearer.

Both Conviction and LR work at 1/5 effectiveness against immunes.

A nec with level 20 LR would get -65 resists (less actually but
unimportant), which means an effective -13.
A Conviction Pally with lvl 25 convcition is capped at -150, which
means an effective -30.

That means a max of -43. So the monster would still be immune at CR
107. Your Cold Mastery would still have no effect. Cold mastery and all
other -resists mods only take effect once the immunity is broken. So,
your 150 CI would remain CI.

According to the skill planner I use, lvl 100 LR would get you -71
resists which is an effective -14.

HTH

So how good would it be? Guess I would need a wand with lower resist
charges on switch plus the conviction from merc's infinity plus cold
resists. I guess I could shop a wand with cold resist charges

chaliban wrote:
> The Shadow wrote:
>
>>So an infinity poleweapon on the merc would totally do it. Conviction
>>from the Infinity to break the immunity and cold mastery would kill the
>>rest of the resistance.
>>

> Probably not. COnviction works at 1/5 effectiveness against immunities.
> So, you would need Conviciton at 251% (or something) to get a Cold
> Immune down to 99. Then Cold Mastery would kick in.

ouch. Thanks

The Shadow wrote:
> ouch. Thanks
>
> chaliban wrote:
<snip>

np.

Of the Uber3, I think only baal is CI and that is at 110. So, the merc
with Infinity (-85) should break it. Your Sorc's CM would then take
effect.

Not sure about ULil, UDur, UIz. I'm sure yuo can do the math but just
to make it simple... if they are CI and their cold resistance is 117 or
above, then the Merc's Conviction wouldn't break it.

With Infinity and a LR wand, the CI would need 125 or above resists to
be unbreakable, assuming level 3 LR: -41%/5 = -8 (which is the highest
level I have seen/found).

Happy Hunting. Apparently those minions (quintuple immunes) are 145
resist all. So, unbreakable.

~misfit~ schrieb:
> Pit Lords from The Furnace of Pain and Uber Tristram have 145 resist all
> elemental and magic and 50% resist physical. Stormlash on a zealot takes 'em
> out pretty quickly though, especially with Drac's for the life tap.
> --
> ~misfit~

Pardon the interruption, but I am a little new to this...I am a cold
sorc at level 30 and my question is, what happens once you get to this
point. All I have are sorc skills, so with monster's resitances being
unbreakable what would one do?

I hope this isn't too silly of a question. :)

Christian Winter wrote:
> ~misfit~ schrieb:
> > Pit Lords from The Furnace of Pain and Uber Tristram have 145 resist all
> > elemental and magic and 50% resist physical. Stormlash on a zealot takes 'em
> > out pretty quickly though, especially with Drac's for the life tap.
> > --
> > ~misfit~
>
> Pardon the interruption, but I am a little new to this...I am a cold
> sorc at level 30 and my question is, what happens once you get to this
> point. All I have are sorc skills, so with monster's resitances being
> unbreakable what would one do?

There are a couple of options. The first is to actually play in a
party, that's what I believe they designed the area for. The second is
to have a REALLY tough merc. (S)He has to stay alive (can't see many
rogues staying alive) and kill the Pit Lords and will probably be
getting swarmed.

Hmmm, Rattlecage might be helpful for the flee. Any ideas on this?

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003

chaliban wrote:
> Christian Winter wrote:
> > ~misfit~ schrieb:
> > > Pit Lords from The Furnace of Pain and Uber Tristram have 145 resist all
> > > elemental and magic and 50% resist physical. Stormlash on a zealot takes 'em
> > > out pretty quickly though, especially with Drac's for the life tap.
> > > --
> > > ~misfit~
> >
> > Pardon the interruption, but I am a little new to this...I am a cold
> > sorc at level 30 and my question is, what happens once you get to this
> > point. All I have are sorc skills, so with monster's resitances being
> > unbreakable what would one do?
> >
> There are a couple of options. The first is to actually play in a
> party, that's what I believe they designed the area for. The second is
> to have a REALLY tough merc. (S)He has to stay alive (can't see many
> rogues staying alive) and kill the Pit Lords and will probably be
> getting swarmed.
>
> Hmmm, Rattlecage might be helpful for the flee. Any ideas on this?

Get an holy freeze merc and load him with every possible "slows target
by %" item you can get. Or, give him a 6 socketd eth war pike with 6
Amn runes, a Crown of Thieves and a skin of the flayed one.

Either way, his job is merely to act as meat shield, and not really to
kill.

~misfit~ wrote:

> Yeah, if you're doing it solo then the tough merc is the only option I see
> for a sorc. My zealot's merc's set-up would probably be good. He has an
> ethereal Obedience thresher (Gives him +75 res all), crushing blow and very
> good damage. He also has an upgraded Shaftstop and a Vamp Gaze. Althogether
> he has 49% damage reduction and does respectable physical damage (which
> makes up for his measely 6% LL as leech is a function of physical damage)
>
> > Hmmm, Rattlecage might be helpful for the flee. Any ideas on this?
>
> No idea. :) I have this aversion to monsters fleeing so never use items
> which have it.

My sorc's merc likes it. When he gets surrounded (esp by Lister's
gang), a couple of hits and off a couple of them go. Gives him more
time to recover, etc. That's why it may help here, I guess. It has low
defence but I can't imagine that a hgih def merc survives as well as a
low def merc in UTrist.