8400 - Choppy Sound, Erratic Mouse

Any help would be appreciated.

Dell 8400, running XP, current on updates, using Soundblaster Live-24.
Intellimouse wireless. Nvidia GeForce. All drivers current. bSATA
drives, Raptor 74 as main drive.

The machine runs great most of the time but a few times a week the
mouse will become erratic, the sound becomes very choppy and the XP
performance monitor shows about 98% System Idle in the left window but
the right window shows about 35-50% busy at the same time.

The higher the percentage, the choppier the sound gets.

The machine has been scanned with Spybot, MSFT-beta, HiJackthis,
Pestpatrol and Spysweeper. It appears clean. Cookies are set to
prompt.

It sounds like a device conflict but I don't see it. Here are my
interupts:

0 - System timer (ISA)
1 - Standard keyboard (ISA)
4 - Communications Port (Com1) (ISA)
8 - System CMOS (realtime clock) (ISA)
9 - Microsoft ACPI (ISA)
13 - Numeric data processor (ISA)
14 - Primary IDE channel (ISA)
10 - Intel 82801FBm SMBus Controller 266A (PCI)
16 - Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller (PCI)
16 - Intel 82801FB/FBM PCI Express Root Port - 2660 (PCI)
16 - Intel 925X PCI Express Root Port - 2585 (PCI)
16 - NVIDIA GeForce 6800 (PCI)
17 - Intel 82801FB/FBM PCI Express Root Port - 2662 (PCI)
17 - SoundBlaster Live-24 (PCI)
18 - Intel 82801 FB/FBM USB Universal Host Controller - 265A (PCI)
20 - Intel 82801 FB/FBM Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 2652 (PCI)
21 - Intel 82801 FB/FBM USB Universal Host Controller - 2658 (PCI)
21 - Intel 82801 FB/FBM USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 265C (PCI)
22 - Intel 82801 FB/FBM USBUniversal Host Controller - 2659 (PCI)
23 - Intel 82801 FB/FBM USBUniversal Host Controller - 265B (PCI)

Rebooting will clear it and I've tried stopping services & tasks till
there's virtually nothing running and it still shows up.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
John
7 answers Last reply
More about 8400 choppy sound erratic mouse

    Any hard drive or CD/DVD activity at the time? Do you have any tasks
    scheduled? Internet activity?

    Have you ever watched the processes to see if anything is active? What
    firewall are us using?

    Clark

    nospam wrote:

    > Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Dell 8400, running XP, current on updates, using Soundblaster Live-24.
    > Intellimouse wireless. Nvidia GeForce. All drivers current. bSATA
    > drives, Raptor 74 as main drive.
    >
    > The machine runs great most of the time but a few times a week the
    > mouse will become erratic, the sound becomes very choppy and the XP
    > performance monitor shows about 98% System Idle in the left window but
    > the right window shows about 35-50% busy at the same time.

    Why not try using Task Manager and customize the "Processes display to
    include CPU Time? When you get the condition display the Processes tab
    and left click on CPU Time twice (don't double click though) to sort it
    into descending sequence. Should be obvious who's gobbling your CPU
    cycles. "System Idle Process" should be at the top of the list - see
    who's next.

    Just a hunch from my limited gaming experience. Check DXdiagnostics (dxdiag)
    and back down hardware acceleration under sound 1 and 2, or at least try
    different settings. Also check all other tabs for any conflicts or problems.

    You did not mention these but adaware may find stuff and cccleaner from
    www.ccleaner.com can also find unwanted stuff.

    good luck
    Bill

    "nospam mindspring.com" <jrcat7@> wrote in message
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Dell 8400, running XP, current on updates, using Soundblaster Live-24.
    > Intellimouse wireless. Nvidia GeForce. All drivers current. bSATA
    > drives, Raptor 74 as main drive.
    >
    > The machine runs great most of the time but a few times a week the
    > mouse will become erratic, the sound becomes very choppy and the XP
    > performance monitor shows about 98% System Idle in the left window but
    > the right window shows about 35-50% busy at the same time.
    >
    > The higher the percentage, the choppier the sound gets.
    >
    > The machine has been scanned with Spybot, MSFT-beta, HiJackthis,
    > Pestpatrol and Spysweeper. It appears clean. Cookies are set to
    > prompt.
    >
    > It sounds like a device conflict but I don't see it. Here are my
    > interupts:
    >
    > 0 - System timer (ISA)
    > 1 - Standard keyboard (ISA)
    > 4 - Communications Port (Com1) (ISA)
    > 8 - System CMOS (realtime clock) (ISA)
    > 9 - Microsoft ACPI (ISA)
    > 13 - Numeric data processor (ISA)
    > 14 - Primary IDE channel (ISA)
    > 10 - Intel 82801FBm SMBus Controller 266A (PCI)
    > 16 - Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller (PCI)
    > 16 - Intel 82801FB/FBM PCI Express Root Port - 2660 (PCI)
    > 16 - Intel 925X PCI Express Root Port - 2585 (PCI)
    > 16 - NVIDIA GeForce 6800 (PCI)
    > 17 - Intel 82801FB/FBM PCI Express Root Port - 2662 (PCI)
    > 17 - SoundBlaster Live-24 (PCI)
    > 18 - Intel 82801 FB/FBM USB Universal Host Controller - 265A (PCI)
    > 20 - Intel 82801 FB/FBM Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 2652 (PCI)
    > 21 - Intel 82801 FB/FBM USB Universal Host Controller - 2658 (PCI)
    > 21 - Intel 82801 FB/FBM USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 265C (PCI)
    > 22 - Intel 82801 FB/FBM USBUniversal Host Controller - 2659 (PCI)
    > 23 - Intel 82801 FB/FBM USBUniversal Host Controller - 265B (PCI)
    >
    > Rebooting will clear it and I've tried stopping services & tasks till
    > there's virtually nothing running and it still shows up.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > John

    You might also check your update speed to make sure what you are seeing is
    recent data. But it seems what you say should be correct and they both
    should show the same. Unless, of course, something is hidden.

    If you get really tired of it, a program was suggested by someone in another
    forum. Go to the below website and check out Process Explorer. It is about
    the same as Task Manager, but makes it more clear what you see. If you do
    have something running hidden, I don't know whether this product will see it
    or not. Hopefully you don't have some type of rootkit running on your
    system.

    http://www.systeminternals.com

    Clark

    "Sparky Spartacus" <Sparky@universalexports.org> wrote in message
    > nospam wrote:
    >
    >> Any help would be appreciated.
    >>
    >> Dell 8400, running XP, current on updates, using Soundblaster Live-24.
    >> Intellimouse wireless. Nvidia GeForce. All drivers current. bSATA
    >> drives, Raptor 74 as main drive.
    >>
    >> The machine runs great most of the time but a few times a week the
    >> mouse will become erratic, the sound becomes very choppy and the XP
    >> performance monitor shows about 98% System Idle in the left window but
    >> the right window shows about 35-50% busy at the same time.
    >
    > Why not try using Task Manager and customize the "Processes display to
    > include CPU Time? When you get the condition display the Processes tab and
    > left click on CPU Time twice (don't double click though) to sort it into
    > descending sequence. Should be obvious who's gobbling your CPU cycles.
    > "System Idle Process" should be at the top of the list - see who's next.

    Yes..actually I have been looking at the tasks...

    That's the strange part. Idle showing 98-99% while the other graph is
    showing 40-50% busy..

    John

    On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 02:32:13 -0400, Sparky Spartacus
    <Sparky@universalexports.org> wrote:

    >nospam wrote:
    >
    >> Any help would be appreciated.
    >>
    >> Dell 8400, running XP, current on updates, using Soundblaster Live-24.
    >> Intellimouse wireless. Nvidia GeForce. All drivers current. bSATA
    >> drives, Raptor 74 as main drive.
    >>
    >> The machine runs great most of the time but a few times a week the
    >> mouse will become erratic, the sound becomes very choppy and the XP
    >> performance monitor shows about 98% System Idle in the left window but
    >> the right window shows about 35-50% busy at the same time.
    >
    >Why not try using Task Manager and customize the "Processes display to
    >include CPU Time? When you get the condition display the Processes tab
    >and left click on CPU Time twice (don't double click though) to sort it
    >into descending sequence. Should be obvious who's gobbling your CPU
    >cycles. "System Idle Process" should be at the top of the list - see
    >who's next.

    Yes..it's current data.

    On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 14:02:39 GMT, "Clark" <who@whoknows.com> wrote:

    >You might also check your update speed to make sure what you are seeing is
    >recent data. But it seems what you say should be correct and they both
    >should show the same. Unless, of course, something is hidden.
    >
    >If you get really tired of it, a program was suggested by someone in another
    >forum. Go to the below website and check out Process Explorer. It is about
    >the same as Task Manager, but makes it more clear what you see. If you do
    >have something running hidden, I don't know whether this product will see it
    >or not. Hopefully you don't have some type of rootkit running on your
    >system.
    >
    >http://www.systeminternals.com
    >
    >Clark
    >
    >"Sparky Spartacus" <Sparky@universalexports.org> wrote in message
    >> nospam wrote:
    >>
    >>> Any help would be appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> Dell 8400, running XP, current on updates, using Soundblaster Live-24.
    >>> Intellimouse wireless. Nvidia GeForce. All drivers current. bSATA
    >>> drives, Raptor 74 as main drive.
    >>>
    >>> The machine runs great most of the time but a few times a week the
    >>> mouse will become erratic, the sound becomes very choppy and the XP
    >>> performance monitor shows about 98% System Idle in the left window but
    >>> the right window shows about 35-50% busy at the same time.
    >>
    >> Why not try using Task Manager and customize the "Processes display to
    >> include CPU Time? When you get the condition display the Processes tab and
    >> left click on CPU Time twice (don't double click though) to sort it into
    >> descending sequence. Should be obvious who's gobbling your CPU cycles.
    >> "System Idle Process" should be at the top of the list - see who's next.

    I'll try that. I don't do any gaming but you never know what may've
    snuck onto the machine.

    Thanks,
    John

Dell Computers