XP SP 2 installs new version of Windows Messenger and unin..

I noticed that the update to XP SP 2 installs a new version of Windows
Messenger and uninstalls the MSN add-in. When trying to reinstall the MSN
add-in I get the message: "You don't have the latest version of Windows
Messenger, please download from messenger.microsoft.com". So I think the MSN
add-in isn't supported for the new version of Windows Messenger. Can someone
confirm this and maybe suggest an alternative?
1 answer Last reply
More about installs version windows messenger unin

    Greetings Erwin,

    Yes this is correct, the new Windows Messenger version within SP2 does not support Add-Ins.
    In order to get this functionality back, you'll either need to downgrade to the previous
    version of Windows Messenger (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/messenger/download.asp) or use
    MSN Messenger instead
    (http://messenger.msn.com/Download).
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    "Erwin Michiels" <anonymous@anonymous.com> wrote in message
    >I noticed that the update to XP SP 2 installs a new version of Windows Messenger and
    >uninstalls the MSN add-in. When trying to reinstall the MSN add-in I get the message: "You
    >don't have the latest version of Windows Messenger, please download from
    >messenger.microsoft.com". So I think the MSN add-in isn't supported for the new version of
    >Windows Messenger. Can someone confirm this and maybe suggest an alternative?

MSN Messenger Microsoft Windows XP