XP SP 2 installs new version of Windows Messenger and unin..

August 26, 2004 6:11:04 AM

I noticed that the update to XP SP 2 installs a new version of Windows
Messenger and uninstalls the MSN add-in. When trying to reinstall the MSN
add-in I get the message: "You don't have the latest version of Windows
Messenger, please download from messenger.microsoft.com". So I think the MSN
add-in isn't supported for the new version of Windows Messenger. Can someone
confirm this and maybe suggest an alternative?
Anonymous
August 26, 2004 6:11:05 AM

Greetings Erwin,

Yes this is correct, the new Windows Messenger version within SP2 does not support Add-Ins.
In order to get this functionality back, you'll either need to downgrade to the previous
version of Windows Messenger (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/messenger/download.asp) or use
MSN Messenger instead
(http://messenger.msn.com/Download).
Jonathan Kay