Garbage graphics in 3D games, bad card?

bastardman

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2002
I've been having severe gfx problems in my 3d games. I first noticed it in Warcraft III. The main menu is nothing but garbage (strange white grids, flashing multicolored screens, and sometimes I can see the original graphics, only currupted). Blizzard has a video test for warcraft III that I ran, it worked fine. So I figured that it was just wc3 until I tried running other games. Battlefield 1942, counter-strike, both have the same problem once you get into the 3d gfx. I tried updated my video drivers, than reverting to older ones, no luck. I uninstalled and reinstalled the games, then formated my hard drive, no luck. I'm thinking that it must be my video card. Is this the sign of a bad card? Is there something I can try? I'd rather not buy a new gfx card. Thanks!

My system;

VIDEO - Gainward Leadtek Geforce 3 64MB (not TI)
MOBO - ASUS A7M266 (no onboard gfx)
CPU - 1.4 Athlon 266
RAM - 768 MB PC2100
SOUND - Hercules Game Theater XP
HD - IBM 60GB 7200

bastardman

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2002
Power Supply - 350 from Enermax
Cooling - I think the Heatsink is from Thermosonic and a Delta Black Fan. It was what was recommended by SharkyExtreme way back when I bought the cpu.
And I have a lian-li aluminum case, and our house has next to no heating.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by bastardman on 11/04/02 00:52 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

bastardman

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2002
I'm not sure what drivers I was using when the problems began, but I've switched to (and had the same problem with) version 30.82 of the geforce + tnt drivers, version 40.72 of the detonator drivers, and then back to version 29.42 of detonator. All for winxp/2000 (I have winxp pro, which I forgot to mention). All driver versions I've tried have had the same problems. Also I forgot to mention that this card worked for over a year, and no drivers had been recently changed before the problems began.