XP SP2 and messenger

Installed service pack 2 and all seems OK.
Except windows messenger 4.7 has lost the direct hotmail
email access. Any ideas or solutions anyone. Thanks
7 answers Last reply
More about messenger

    Greetings,

    The Windows Messenger version within SP2 does not have support for Add-ins which is required
    for Hotmail support within Windows Messenger. As such, in order to get this functionality
    back, you'll either need to downgrade to the previous version of Windows Messenger
    (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/messenger/download.asp) or use MSN Messenger instead
    (http://messenger.msn.com/Download).
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    "freetalk" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Installed service pack 2 and all seems OK.
    > Except windows messenger 4.7 has lost the direct hotmail
    > email access. Any ideas or solutions anyone. Thanks

    Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately it does not work.
    Eventually I downloaded msnaddins.exe, but this file
    would not run as "i did not have the latest version of
    messenger'. Seems strange as 4.7 is the version that the
    file msnaddins.exe applies to. Any other thoughts?
    Thank you

    Jonathan Kay.

    >"freetalk" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
    in message
    >> Installed service pack 2 and all seems OK.
    >> Except windows messenger 4.7 has lost the direct
    hotmail
    >> email access. Any ideas or solutions anyone. Thanks
    >

    >.

    If one decides to go the MSN Messenger route, can you
    have it automatically startup and sign-in at Windows
    startup like you can with the Windows Messenger?

    Hi,

    You're using SP2 Messenger which is 4.7.3000 which is well, "too new"; you'll need to use
    4.7.2009 instead (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/messenger/download.asp) as described
    below.

    > Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately it does not work.
    > Eventually I downloaded msnaddins.exe, but this file
    > would not run as "i did not have the latest version of
    > messenger'. Seems strange as 4.7 is the version that the
    > file msnaddins.exe applies to. Any other thoughts?
    > Thank you

    Hi,

    You sure can, in fact it sets itself up like this by default.
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    > If one decides to go the MSN Messenger route, can you
    > have it automatically startup and sign-in at Windows
    > startup like you can with the Windows Messenger?

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

    I downgraded versions and installed WM (4.7.2009) and the add-on and am a
    happy bunny once again. I dread to think what other "improvements" the
    dubious SP2 has made to other programs.
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

    No wonder MS delayed releasing SP2 so that its best and largest
    customers can take steps to protect themselves and block/stop SP2
    upgrades within their company. :)

    "me@home" wrote:

    > I dread to think what other "improvements" the
    > dubious SP2 has made to other programs.

Messenger Microsoft Windows XP