Its all in the timing

I lucked out ant the reset happened during my vacation, so what happens?
This morning while playing I get a grinding noise from one of my hard drives
and a can't write to drive D error where LOD just happens to be installed.

I will be not playing this afternoon while I replace the boot drive with a
larger one and then copy what I can of drive D over to a second partition. I
expect to have to reload LOD as well. That pretty well takes me off the
ranked list, losing that many hours this early.

At least my slow machine that is burning in mules is still working.

At least I got my moneys worth out of the drive, it has been going nearly
24/7 for better than 6 years.

"john graesser" <graesser@tca.net> wrote in message
> I lucked out ant the reset happened during my vacation, so what happens?
> This morning while playing I get a grinding noise from one of my hard
drives
> and a can't write to drive D error where LOD just happens to be installed.
>
> I will be not playing this afternoon while I replace the boot drive with a
> larger one and then copy what I can of drive D over to a second partition.
> expect to have to reload LOD as well. That pretty well takes me off the
> ranked list, losing that many hours this early.
>
> At least my slow machine that is burning in mules is still working.
>
> At least I got my moneys worth out of the drive, it has been going nearly
> 24/7 for better than 6 years.

Well it only took me about 19 hours to install, format, copy files, find out
the new drive wouldn't boot, dig out recovery cd, reformat, install factory
files, swap master slave, copy files from old boot drive, swap new drive to
master, hook up the dying d drive, copy files from old D drive (was able to
save about 20 gigs of the 40). Notice that the cable was out of order both
for tv and data, wait till it comes back up and now 19 hours later I can
play LOD again.

If this wasn't so much fun it would seem like work.

"john graesser" wrote...

>> I lucked out ant the reset happened during my vacation, so what happens?
>> This morning while playing I get a grinding noise from one of my hard
> drives
>> and a can't write to drive D error where LOD just happens to be
>> installed.
>>
>> I will be not playing this afternoon while I replace the boot drive with
>> larger one and then copy what I can of drive D over to a second
>> partition.
>> expect to have to reload LOD as well. That pretty well takes me off the
>> ranked list, losing that many hours this early.
>>
>> At least my slow machine that is burning in mules is still working.
>>
>> At least I got my moneys worth out of the drive, it has been going nearly
>> 24/7 for better than 6 years.
>
> Well it only took me about 19 hours to install, format, copy files, find
> out
> the new drive wouldn't boot, dig out recovery cd, reformat, install
> factory
> files, swap master slave, copy files from old boot drive, swap new drive
> master, hook up the dying d drive, copy files from old D drive (was able
> save about 20 gigs of the 40). Notice that the cable was out of order both
> for tv and data, wait till it comes back up and now 19 hours later I can
> play LOD again.
>
> If this wasn't so much fun it would seem like work.

I feel your pain. My HD crashed around the first of this year. I lost A
LOT of unrecoverable data. Having to reinstall and reconfigure a working
system is a pain in itself. I learned to make backups, though, right?
RIGHT???

HAHAHAHAHAHA....

"Brian Kastel" <be-ar-eye-ay-en-kay-ay-ess-tee-ee-ell@tampabay.rr.com> wrote
in message news:K3yKe.4935$Oy2.4577@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...

> I feel your pain. My HD crashed around the first of this year. I lost A
> LOT of unrecoverable data. Having to reinstall and reconfigure a working
> system is a pain in itself. I learned to make backups, though, right?
> RIGHT???

Backups of just about everything spread out over about 500 cdrs. Except of
course the odd drivers I am using for my voodoo 3 that are no longer
available that I installed and never backed up since they date prior to
installing the cdrw. I managed to get just about everything back from the
dying drive, though I have no confidence that some bits didn't get flipped
in the process. LOD locked up today playing, I haven't determined if it is
because something that I copied got scrambled or it is something else going
wrong with this 8 year old comp. It could be time to do a directory compare
between this machine and the other two I have running LOD here. Back up to 3
machines though one only gets 2 fps in town, so it is useless for anything
but muling, burning in chars and perhaps rushing if I can stand several
minutes for the char to change acts.

Nothing on the drive is irreplaceable, If I had to, I could just buy a new
comp and reinstall the few games I am playing on it. It just happened that
for $75 I picked up a new 80 gig drive to replace the 10 and 40 that were in
there. The 10 gig still works so in event of another crash I can go back and
reinstall from it. At least I didn't have to go back and reinstall all my
news software, getting all that back saved many hours of downloading,
configuring and catching up on the messages again.

"~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahoot.co.nz> wrote in message

> You have an 8 year old comp that is capable of running an 80 gig drive ok?
> That's lucky, there must have been a BIOS update for it, I thought most
> machines of that era were limited to 32 gig. Is that a Pentium II?

One of the early Celeron466. It is limited in that it has an AGP 1 slot, the
only agp video card I ever found that worked is my voodoo 3.

Back then HP (this was a 4550z) actually put good parts in, my riptide sound
card runs rings around most cards of the era. Well worth the $800 or so that
I paid for the comp, as well as the $600 or so I have put into it since, on
my third power supply, now third hard drive, ram was bought when prices were
insane, over $200 for a 128 meg stick.

I still get 60-100 fps playing D2/LOD on this antique comp.

Windows 98SE fixes a lot of problems with larger drives, the last time i had
a problem with big drives I put a 30 gig into a P1-133 running win95 that
had to install it as 15 2 gig partitions.