AGP 4X vs AGP 8X

dwomac0

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2002
Hi, I'm considering buying a Shuttle SS-51G with a P4 2.4ghz, 2x512mb ddr 333mhz ram, 80GB Seagate Baracuda IV and a Plextor PX-320A Plexcombo cd-rw/dvd and I don't really know what graphics card I'm going to buy to it, I'm considering a GF4 Ti 4200(half the price with good performance) or a ATi Radeon 9700 PRO(performance). I'm not considering a Ti 4600 cause then I think I might just as well put in a $100 more for the new ATi card, which is performing considerably better in the tests.

If I where to buy a ATi Radeon 9700 Pro would AGP 4x decrease the performance seen on the tests alot?

Is there any heat issues with the Shuttle SS-51G and a new graphics card (GF4 or Radeon 9700 Pro)?

Any opinion regarding the Shuttle SS-51G is greatly appreciated.

icy_oblivion

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
Some one correct me in I am wrong.

I do believe that all the benchmarks seen on THG are with a 4x AGP setting. They do that so that there is no unfair advantage on bus bandwidth.

<font color=green>My other personality is schitzofrenic.</font color=green>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
There is no difference between AGP8x and AGP4x performance on current cards.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Ghostdog

Distinguished
May 28, 2002
Well, there is a difference, it´s just so marginal that you will never notice the difference. I don´t see why heat should be a problem. Do you have any reason to suspect a problem?

<font color=red>I´m starting to feel like a real computer consultant.</font color=red>

NurseMSIC

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2001
Also, as has been mentioned a few times before, many of the benchmarks in articles are testing the older GF4 4200 (AGP4x) against the new one (AGP8x), the newer one looking a little bit faster, approx 5% or so. What they often dont highlight is that the newer one (the 8x) has, in the 128MB version at least, slightly overclocked memory that accounts for this. You can also simply overclock an older AGP4x board anyway, and compare like for like.
So the AGP 8x is not a consideration AT ALL. If a card has it and you want the card anyway, fine, buy it. But dont buy a card because of it.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=19557" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=19557</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Actually I wouldn't worry too much about heat, the card should cool BETTER in the horizontal position because heat rises, which would be parallel to the card instead of into the card. Anyway, if you didn't plan on using the PCI slot, the design would be excellent for OVERCOOLING the card via a side fan, requiring a slight modification to the case. Overcooling freaking thrills us overclockers.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Col_Kiwi

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002
No, there is literally no difference, because current GPUs use slightly less bandwidth then AGP4x provides, hence the AGP8x bandwidth is simply not needed or used.

-Col.Kiwi

Ghostdog

Distinguished
May 28, 2002
Marginal, but it´s there.
<A HREF="http://www17.tomshardware.com/graphic/02q4/0210041/nv18_nv28-03.html#benchmarks" target="_new">http://www17.tomshardware.com/graphic/02q4/0210041/nv18_nv28-03.html#benchmarks</A>

<font color=red>I´m starting to feel like a real computer consultant.</font color=red>

Col_Kiwi

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002
The nVidia AGP 8x enabled geforce 4's have higher clocked RAM. This has nothing at all to do with them being AGP 8x, they just increased the RAM clock to make people <b>think</b> their AGP 8x card was faster then their friend's AGP 4x because of the AGP 8x, when it's really unrelated.

-Col.Kiwi

Ghostdog

Distinguished
May 28, 2002
Damn, I didn´t notice that in the article. That´s sort of tricking the customer.

Col_Kiwi

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002
Yeah, it <b>is</b> tricking the customer :frown:

Though, in my opinion, ATI is not much better the way they're hyping Radeon 9700's AGP 8x so much when it does nothing practical.... some people are going out of their way to get AGP8x mainboards, looking for a performance boost that won't be there.

-Col.Kiwi

demoh

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2002
but when you're considering what mobo you want to buy, wouldn't you want to get one that features x8 agp. Regarding future upgrades I mean..?

neoro

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2002
Nah....
i don't think so....
AGP3 is going to be the last of its kind...
After this its all PCI Express.....
Better look out for Dual Channel DDR,SATA,100/1000,..... in which if you see all this.....
AGP8x would be there already....