HL/CS won't accept OGL/D3D...only software mode!

hartski

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2002
My HL/CS ran fine on my last monitor which was a 17" KDS monitor. Now I have a Sony CPD-410R and I installed WinXp Home fresh. After installing HL it doesn't wanna run on OpenGL or D3D, only in Software which sucks as we all know.

Any of you encountered this? I re-installed HL and still doesn't work. It is also patched to the latest one. I do not believe it's caused by the SOny monitor, more likely when I insatlled Xp fresh. XP is also updated but not Sp1 patched.

zilla

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2002
hartski,,same problem i am having with my P3 700 128mb corsair pc133 S3 32mb-savage4 (engineering bit-flip)Sparkle 300w power supply and DELL d1025tm trinitron monitor. Everything worked fine(almost 200 fps),, until i installed a new 60gb maxtor hard drive, i had a 10gb from western digital. Now i can only use the software mode to play hl. Everytime i go to use open GL it kicks me to windows(98se)and freezes my comp for awhile. I don't know whats happening,,if u hear something let me know PLEASE!!

hartski

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2002
I found a solution. Uninstall CS and HL and any other mods. Re-install HL (do not update!), re-install CS and other mods (latest versions!) then update HL to new version. Follow this install procedure. Worked for me!

Before, I updated HL first then I installed CS and other mods, that caused the problem.

And yes I have the latest drivers.

Crazy Windows world!

hartski

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2002
Or if you have installed HL, patched it and installed CS and other mods try just re-installing the patch for HL. Overwrite it!

zilla

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2002
hartski,,,thank you very much,,i did exactly what u prescribed and it worked.fresh install original half-life,,,then install new version of mods,,, then update half-life,,thanks again.

zilla