Hmm... Thunderstorm?

Well then, it must be time to play some HC!
That's right, lag is not enough, got to get the stomach all tied in knots
with worry about losing power too!
Heh, SC is for wussies. (ok, ok, so sometimes that includes me, so sue
me)
;)
--
Not 1337.

Brian Kastel wrote:

> There is no way I would even attempt to play HC on the realms with the lag I
> routinely experience. Yesterday, I was running my sorc though the Stony
> Field when the map did its "edge of the earth" thing (lag), and then the
> next thing I heard was her death cry as she instantly lost all life and mana
> and there were monsters surrounding her which were not there before. Had
> that been a HC character at level 35 (16+ hours of playing), I would have
> screamed a death cry myself.

I used to play on dial-up. With my old laptop. Lag deaths are just part
of the game in HC. Last ladder I lost a level ~87 character. I went
into the throne room and started moving towards Baal. My Shadow and
Merc were stuck where we had come in. Game dropped. No deeds screen,
and when I logged back in, no robes. Actually, no character, she was
invisble. That's just one of those things you accept playing HC.
Invisible usually means death by disconnect. I lost count of the number
of times I was killed going down stairs. I don't think _all_ of them
were stair traps.

And I wouldn't play any other way. :-D My comp/connection just needed a
little thinking time to decide whether or not to let me go places. :)

Brian Kastel wrote:
<snip>

> Now that is truly Hard Core.
>
> Hats off to you, Chaliban.

meh... It's because when I first started playing, I met a few people in
channel (u, ru and jaz) who all played hardcore and they convinced me
that there was no other way to play.

I ended up not knowing anyone on SC, and having much donated loot in HC
(i thought it was a lot anyway).

"ArtDent" wrote...
> Well then, it must be time to play some HC!
> That's right, lag is not enough, got to get the stomach all tied in knots
> with worry about losing power too!
> Heh, SC is for wussies. (ok, ok, so sometimes that includes me, so sue
> me)
> ;)

There is no way I would even attempt to play HC on the realms with the lag I
routinely experience. Yesterday, I was running my sorc though the Stony
Field when the map did its "edge of the earth" thing (lag), and then the
next thing I heard was her death cry as she instantly lost all life and mana
and there were monsters surrounding her which were not there before. Had
that been a HC character at level 35 (16+ hours of playing), I would have
screamed a death cry myself.

"chaliban" wrote...

> Brian Kastel wrote:
>
>> There is no way I would even attempt to play HC on the realms with the
>> lag I
>> routinely experience. Yesterday, I was running my sorc though the Stony
>> Field when the map did its "edge of the earth" thing (lag), and then the
>> next thing I heard was her death cry as she instantly lost all life and
>> mana
>> and there were monsters surrounding her which were not there before. Had
>> that been a HC character at level 35 (16+ hours of playing), I would have
>> screamed a death cry myself.
>
> I used to play on dial-up. With my old laptop. Lag deaths are just part
> of the game in HC. Last ladder I lost a level ~87 character. I went
> into the throne room and started moving towards Baal. My Shadow and
> Merc were stuck where we had come in. Game dropped. No deeds screen,
> and when I logged back in, no robes. Actually, no character, she was
> invisble. That's just one of those things you accept playing HC.
> Invisible usually means death by disconnect. I lost count of the number
> of times I was killed going down stairs. I don't think _all_ of them
> were stair traps.
>
> And I wouldn't play any other way. :-D My comp/connection just needed a
> little thinking time to decide whether or not to let me go places. :)

Now that is truly Hard Core.

Hats off to you, Chaliban.

:)

Aha! An admission! You'll hear from my lawyer tomorrow!

I played SC and later played HC in the 5 years I played online. HC
definitely kept me awake, and I was extremely fortunate never to suffer a
lag death. All mine were due to overeagerness (stupidity) so I didn't feel
too bad about them. However, I did get tired of the repitition of building
the same character back up, especially since it was most likely one that I
hadn't been able to fully develop before their death.

IMHO, HC is for folks who have a LOT more free time than me. Either that or
have a LOT of very rich friends!

Dave S.

"ArtDent" <par@noyd.invalidname> wrote in message
> Well then, it must be time to play some HC!
> That's right, lag is not enough, got to get the stomach all tied in knots
> with worry about losing power too!
> Heh, SC is for wussies. (ok, ok, so sometimes that includes me, so sue
> me)
> ;)
> --
> Not 1337.

"David Simmons" wrote...
> Aha! An admission! You'll hear from my lawyer tomorrow!
>
> I played SC and later played HC in the 5 years I played online. HC
> definitely kept me awake, and I was extremely fortunate never to suffer a
> lag death. All mine were due to overeagerness (stupidity) so I didn't
> feel too bad about them. However, I did get tired of the repitition of
> building the same character back up, especially since it was most likely
> one that I hadn't been able to fully develop before their death.
>
> IMHO, HC is for folks who have a LOT more free time than me. Either that
> or have a LOT of very rich friends!

That is the key, I think. HC is not really for people who play solo. It's
challenging enough to play SC on the closed realms, because you are
prevented from the temptation to cheat. (Ignoring those who flagrantly
abuse the terms of service and risk bans on their account, which amounts to
the loss of real money if the software was actually purchased, which may not
have been the case for the aforementioned abusers, anyway.)