Graphic chip cooling control

thaloc

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2002
Do modern cards (I'm planning on buying Radeon 9500Pro as soon as it gets available) have any kind of controling their fans, so they would not work if all they do is for example showing windows desktop? My comp works 24h/day, 7d/week, but I really use 3D card only on weekends, so fan rotating all the time would be waste of resources (energy ;), fan itself) and my nerves (noise, especially during night!). I've put great effort to quiet down my computer, and I wouldn't want to waste that with noisy graphics card cooler...

mrwhipper

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2002
I havent seen a card with adjustable fan speed. There might be some out there, but I know of none. What you might want to do is buy a rheostat. That way you can adjust the speed manually. Radio Shack or most computer shows sell them. Take care.

Hang in there. It can only get better!

Ghostdog

Distinguished
May 28, 2002
Why do you run the PC on a constant spree? Work? What kind of work? Just curious.

<font color=red>I´m starting to feel like a real computer consultant.</font color=red>

thaloc

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2002
During day, I simply do everything on computer - working, playing, TV, movies, music, surfing net, reading (well, sometimes I read real books, printed on paper...), so turning it off would be waste of my time, becouse too often I would have to turn it on again and wait until it reboots :D. In nights, my comp does mainly Seti@home, also shares many GBs of files in local network for others to not download them from net (we have 115kbps connection shared between 5 houses :), downloads stuff form I-net (very slow), does video re-compressions (sometimes), occasionally it acts as VCR and records some TV shows which are late in night.
So as you can see my PC is quite busy :).

Ghostdog

Distinguished
May 28, 2002
Doesn´t the computer get "tired" of running that long?

<font color=red>I´m starting to feel like a real computer consultant.</font color=red>

thaloc

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2002
What do you mean by "tired"? It works fine, and until I bought Audigy it was VERY stable (I already was writing about this in sound cards forum).

Ghostdog

Distinguished
May 28, 2002
I only asked because I think my computer seems "tired" after running a long session.

dakels

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2002
lol @ tired

Mine gets tired just booting up :p
It is good to restart computers once in a while. Some don't flush out RAM and cache too well and you get sort of a "build up" My Athlon 1600/512mb Win XP gets it quite often actually. The constant opening and closing of applications seems to leave alot of ghosting. I don;t think its the same type of memeory resident ghosting like older windows but still, I do notice a performance pickup after I restart. When I am doing something that pushes the machines limits (like graphics or audio work or video games), I restart before. I used to run NT servers and even the servers needed to be restarted once a week or so just to give them a fresh start.

Ghostdog

Distinguished
May 28, 2002
ah, XP. I´m just sticking with Win98SE for now, 2000 is an option. Hope Longhorn turns out to be something worth getting.