Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Anti virus ???

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
August 12, 2005 6:16:30 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Is there any freeware anti virus that is any good ??AVG ???
thanks
larry

More about : anti virus

Anonymous
August 12, 2005 6:16:31 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"LaRrY" <2roo@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
news:2ETKe.377$UA1.136@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com...
> Is there any freeware anti virus that is any good ??AVG ???
> thanks
> larry
>


Yep....

http://www.download.com/3120-20_4-0.html?qt=AVG+7+free+...
Related resources
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 6:16:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message
news:42FC080B.A01824E5@ddress.com...
> "S.Lewis" wrote:
>>
>> "LaRrY" <2roo@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>> news:2ETKe.377$UA1.136@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com...
>> > Is there any freeware anti virus that is any good ??AVG ???
>> > thanks
>> > larry
>> >
>>
>> Yep....
>>
>> http://www.download.com/3120-20_4-0.html?qt=AVG+7+free+...
>
> Also, have a look at:
>
> http://avast.com/i_kat_207.php?lang=ENG
>
> Notan


Notan,

Tell me what you know or have experienced with AVAST. I see they have over
2+ million downloads at CNET.

I'm going to bring this down just in case AVG decides to stop offering free
home installs. (ie- like CA did with InoculateIT a few years ago).

Perhaps I'll remove AVG and try this for a bit....


Stew
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 6:16:34 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"S.Lewis" wrote:
>
> "Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message
> news:42FC080B.A01824E5@ddress.com...
> > "S.Lewis" wrote:
> >>
> >> "LaRrY" <2roo@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> >> news:2ETKe.377$UA1.136@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com...
> >> > Is there any freeware anti virus that is any good ??AVG ???
> >> > thanks
> >> > larry
> >> >
> >>
> >> Yep....
> >>
> >> http://www.download.com/3120-20_4-0.html?qt=AVG+7+free+...
> >
> > Also, have a look at:
> >
> > http://avast.com/i_kat_207.php?lang=ENG
> >
> > Notan
>
> Notan,
>
> Tell me what you know or have experienced with AVAST. I see they have over
> 2+ million downloads at CNET.
>
> I'm going to bring this down just in case AVG decides to stop offering free
> home installs. (ie- like CA did with InoculateIT a few years ago).
>
> Perhaps I'll remove AVG and try this for a bit....

I haven't had a whole lot of experience with it...

I installed it on my wife's computer and a laptop that I'm using strictly
for home automation. So far, it's caught a handful of viruses on each of
the systems.

I'd love to ramble on, about how good or bad it is, but I can't. While,
as I said it's caught virus attacks on two systems, it's tough to do an
A-B comparison of antivirus products, unless you're exposing all systems
to the same attacks. While the magazines have the resources to do that,
I don't.

What the hell! Go for it! Give it a try!

Notan
August 12, 2005 6:25:48 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

thanks
larry
"S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote in message
news:7HTKe.5552$Rm3.671@bignews4.bellsouth.net...
>
> "LaRrY" <2roo@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> news:2ETKe.377$UA1.136@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com...
>> Is there any freeware anti virus that is any good ??AVG ???
>> thanks
>> larry
>>
>
>
> Yep....
>
> http://www.download.com/3120-20_4-0.html?qt=AVG+7+free+...
>
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 6:41:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Does the Avast slow down a PC as much as Norton?
"Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message
news:42FC080B.A01824E5@ddress.com...
> "S.Lewis" wrote:
>>
>> "LaRrY" <2roo@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>> news:2ETKe.377$UA1.136@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com...
>> > Is there any freeware anti virus that is any good ??AVG ???
>> > thanks
>> > larry
>> >
>>
>> Yep....
>>
>> http://www.download.com/3120-20_4-0.html?qt=AVG+7+free+...
>
> Also, have a look at:
>
> http://avast.com/i_kat_207.php?lang=ENG
>
> Notan
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 6:41:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Matt Wiggins wrote:
>
> Does the Avast slow down a PC as much as Norton?

Not at all!

Notan
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 10:24:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

In article <BL4Le.17$%K4.16@trnddc09>, shawnwinget@NOSPAMhotmail.com
says...
> Along with what other people said, Mcafee and Norton simply do not work as
> well as the free ones, especially AVG in my experience. Also AntiVir is
> another good one. I have worked on countless machines that have updated
> versions of either Norton or Mcafee and AVG still finds viruses.

Interesting that you found the above:

We manage the IT for several sororities, of all the machines moving into
the house each year, the only clean machines we've ever seen were those
running Norton AV with updated and valid subscriptions.

We've found countless compromised McAfee and CA and others that were
just undetected by their updated scans.

We also install AVG as a means to check machines, the Norton ones come
back clean when properly updated and running a current version, none of
the others have. Now, I should also state that some of the Norton
installs are not clean, but that's where the user has never updated the
definitions and they are often more than a year old - while also running
P2P apps on the same box.

As for Symantec, I've never had a box running the Corporate Version
compromised.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 10:24:23 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Leythos wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> As for Symantec, I've never had a box running the Corporate Version
> compromised.

Norton works, but the cost is a *huge* drain on system resources.

Unless you're running a system with unlimited resources, the impact
is significant.

Notan
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 11:15:55 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message
news:42FC080B.A01824E5@ddress.com...
> "S.Lewis" wrote:
> >
> > "LaRrY" <2roo@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> > news:2ETKe.377$UA1.136@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com...
> > > Is there any freeware anti virus that is any good ??AVG ???
> > > thanks
> > > larry
> > >
> >
> > Yep....
> >
> > http://www.download.com/3120-20_4-0.html?qt=AVG+7+free+...
>
> Also, have a look at:
>
> http://avast.com/i_kat_207.php?lang=ENG
>
> Notan

Be advised that Avast will prevent the automatic creation of System Restore
points. I like the program and for now am routinely making manual restore
points.
MLD
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 11:15:55 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote in message
news:mbUKe.5974$Rm3.4721@bignews4.bellsouth.net...
>
> "Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message
> news:42FC080B.A01824E5@ddress.com...
> > "S.Lewis" wrote:
> >>
> >> "LaRrY" <2roo@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> >> news:2ETKe.377$UA1.136@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com...
> >> > Is there any freeware anti virus that is any good ??AVG ???
> >> > thanks
> >> > larry
> >> >
> >>
> >> Yep....
> >>
> >> http://www.download.com/3120-20_4-0.html?qt=AVG+7+free+...
> >
> > Also, have a look at:
> >
> > http://avast.com/i_kat_207.php?lang=ENG
> >
> > Notan
>
>
> Notan,
>
> Tell me what you know or have experienced with AVAST. I see they have
over
> 2+ million downloads at CNET.
>
> I'm going to bring this down just in case AVG decides to stop offering
free
> home installs. (ie- like CA did with InoculateIT a few years ago).
>
> Perhaps I'll remove AVG and try this for a bit....
>
>
> Stew
>
>
Be advised that Avast will prevent the creation of automatic System Restore
points. I like the program, it seems to be doing a good job, and for now
am making manual restore points.
MLD
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 12:09:24 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"MLD" <MLD@verizon.net> wrote in message news:Lz6Le.12$xl.3@trndny02...
>
> "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote in message
> news:mbUKe.5974$Rm3.4721@bignews4.bellsouth.net...
>>
>> "Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message
>> news:42FC080B.A01824E5@ddress.com...
>> > "S.Lewis" wrote:
>> >>
>> >> "LaRrY" <2roo@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>> >> news:2ETKe.377$UA1.136@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com...
>> >> > Is there any freeware anti virus that is any good ??AVG ???
>> >> > thanks
>> >> > larry
>> >> >
>> >>
>> >> Yep....
>> >>
>> >> http://www.download.com/3120-20_4-0.html?qt=AVG+7+free+...
>> >
>> > Also, have a look at:
>> >
>> > http://avast.com/i_kat_207.php?lang=ENG
>> >
>> > Notan
>>
>>
>> Notan,
>>
>> Tell me what you know or have experienced with AVAST. I see they have
> over
>> 2+ million downloads at CNET.
>>
>> I'm going to bring this down just in case AVG decides to stop offering
> free
>> home installs. (ie- like CA did with InoculateIT a few years ago).
>>
>> Perhaps I'll remove AVG and try this for a bit....
>>
>>
>> Stew
>>
>>
> Be advised that Avast will prevent the creation of automatic System
> Restore
> points. I like the program, it seems to be doing a good job, and for now
> am making manual restore points.
> MLD
>
>


MLD -

So to be effective, it disables system restore - ? If so, when disabled,
*all* restore points are lost no matter if they were created manually or
automatically (by Windows....)

?

I can see unlocking and making *all* files available for scanning, but to
entirely lose system restore would be a fairly heavy price for doing so,
imo.


Stew
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 12:15:18 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Norton will *NOT* slow down a properly configured and well-maintained
computer.

Bobby

"Matt Wiggins" <mwigginsnoxx@charter.net> wrote in message
news:V26Le.2991$F_7.1294@fe06.lga...
> Does the Avast slow down a PC as much as Norton?
> "Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message
> news:42FC080B.A01824E5@ddress.com...
>> "S.Lewis" wrote:
>>>
>>> "LaRrY" <2roo@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>>> news:2ETKe.377$UA1.136@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com...
>>> > Is there any freeware anti virus that is any good ??AVG ???
>>> > thanks
>>> > larry
>>> >
>>>
>>> Yep....
>>>
>>> http://www.download.com/3120-20_4-0.html?qt=AVG+7+free+...
>>
>> Also, have a look at:
>>
>> http://avast.com/i_kat_207.php?lang=ENG
>>
>> Notan
>
>
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 12:15:19 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"NoNoBadDog!" wrote:
>
> Norton will *NOT* slow down a properly configured and well-maintained
> computer.
>
> <snip>

If you were right, I'd agree with you. <g>

For some recent feedback on NIS, head over to microsoft.public.security
and search for "NORTON," "NIS," etc., or have a look at a recent thread,
"NIS or XP firewall."

Notan
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 12:15:19 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"NoNoBadDog!" <no_@spam_verizon.net> wrote in message
news:qr7Le.172$Y55.8@trnddc06...
> Norton will *NOT* slow down a properly configured and well-maintained
> computer.
>
> Bobby
>


I strongly disagree. Whether it be Norton 2005 or NIS, they both take a
heavy toll on most any P4 generation box that I've seen. McAfee 8 is only
slightly better.

Stew
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 12:17:38 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Once again, on a healthy machine that is properly maintained, Norton does
not drain resources and does not slow a healthy system down. We need to
stop perpetuating the myth that Norton is a resource hog. It is not, if
certain guidelines are followed.

Bobby

"Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message
news:42FCFD7F.9E81A2DB@ddress.com...
> Leythos wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> As for Symantec, I've never had a box running the Corporate Version
>> compromised.
>
> Norton works, but the cost is a *huge* drain on system resources.
>
> Unless you're running a system with unlimited resources, the impact
> is significant.
>
> Notan
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 12:17:39 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"NoNoBadDog!" <no_@spam_verizon.net> wrote in message
news:Ct7Le.180$Y55.2@trnddc06...
> Once again, on a healthy machine that is properly maintained, Norton does
> not drain resources and does not slow a healthy system down. We need to
> stop perpetuating the myth that Norton is a resource hog. It is not, if
> certain guidelines are followed.
>
> Bobby
>


Norton is a shameless, resource hogging, registry populating, startup
consuming - PIG.

Period.

We simply disagree (probably in the strongest possible terms).


Regards,

Stew
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 12:38:22 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

In article <Ct7Le.180$Y55.2@trnddc06>, no_@spam_verizon.net says...
> Once again, on a healthy machine that is properly maintained, Norton does
> not drain resources and does not slow a healthy system down. We need to
> stop perpetuating the myth that Norton is a resource hog. It is not, if
> certain guidelines are followed.

I agree, on a properly uncompromised Norton Antivirus (not NIS or NSW)
does not impact the system any more than other full time, full featured,
Antivirus scanners.


--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 12:39:42 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

In article <42FD04B0.E8C16D3B@ddress.com>, notan@ddress.com says...
> "NoNoBadDog!" wrote:
> >
> > Norton will *NOT* slow down a properly configured and well-maintained
> > computer.
> >
> > <snip>
>
> If you were right, I'd agree with you. <g>
>
> For some recent feedback on NIS, head over to microsoft.public.security
> and search for "NORTON," "NIS," etc., or have a look at a recent thread,
> "NIS or XP firewall."

NIS is a total pig, but, if you only install Norton Antivirus, then it's
not a resource issue at all. NIS should not be installed on any system.
The stand-alone Norton Antivirs product is fine and works better than
most products like it.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 12:39:43 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Leythos wrote:
>
> In article <42FD04B0.E8C16D3B@ddress.com>, notan@ddress.com says...
> > "NoNoBadDog!" wrote:
> > >
> > > Norton will *NOT* slow down a properly configured and well-maintained
> > > computer.
> > >
> > > <snip>
> >
> > If you were right, I'd agree with you. <g>
> >
> > For some recent feedback on NIS, head over to microsoft.public.security
> > and search for "NORTON," "NIS," etc., or have a look at a recent thread,
> > "NIS or XP firewall."
>
> NIS is a total pig, but, if you only install Norton Antivirus, then it's
> not a resource issue at all. NIS should not be installed on any system.
> The stand-alone Norton Antivirs product is fine and works better than
> most products like it.

If that's the case, I stand corrected.

Notan
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 2:25:23 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Yes, it will. Just yesterday I got fed up with it, uninstalled and
expunged it, and installed TrendMicro's PC Cillin. A scan that took 30
minutes with Norton took about 12 with Trend - and Trend picked up some
issues that Norton missed.

If you have access to the September issue of Consumer Reports, they have
an extensive review of security software. Norton was decidely middling
in performance - better than McAfee, but an order of magnitude behind
the leader (Trend).


NoNoBadDog! wrote:
> Norton will *NOT* slow down a properly configured and well-maintained
> computer.
August 13, 2005 3:04:31 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Butter pecan tastes better than any other flavor ice cream.

<This is an IQ test...>

--
Nick <mailto:tanstaafl@pobox.com>

"My mind is already made up. I do not want any facts,
as they would simply confuse me." M.E.

(Sig stolen from the "Organization of Paranoid Anarchists For A Better
World Filled With Peace and Harmony And Free Lunches For All Coming Real
Soon Now".)
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 5:01:08 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Now that is funny. I installed NIS for a customer and once I got it running
properly (after about 10 reinstalls) I sent it home with him. He called me
and said he could no longer burn cd's. He was getting (8x drive, no burn
proof) buffer underrun errors. I had him use msconfig to disable all the
norton services and he was able to burn disks fine. He ended up getting a
new cd burner that has buffer underrun protection.

"NoNoBadDog!" <no_@spam_verizon.net> wrote in message
news:qr7Le.172$Y55.8@trnddc06...
> Norton will *NOT* slow down a properly configured and well-maintained
> computer.
>
> Bobby
>
> "Matt Wiggins" <mwigginsnoxx@charter.net> wrote in message
> news:V26Le.2991$F_7.1294@fe06.lga...
>> Does the Avast slow down a PC as much as Norton?
>> "Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message
>> news:42FC080B.A01824E5@ddress.com...
>>> "S.Lewis" wrote:
>>>>
>>>> "LaRrY" <2roo@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>>>> news:2ETKe.377$UA1.136@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com...
>>>> > Is there any freeware anti virus that is any good ??AVG ???
>>>> > thanks
>>>> > larry
>>>> >
>>>>
>>>> Yep....
>>>>
>>>> http://www.download.com/3120-20_4-0.html?qt=AVG+7+free+...
>>>
>>> Also, have a look at:
>>>
>>> http://avast.com/i_kat_207.php?lang=ENG
>>>
>>> Notan
>>
>>
>
>
August 13, 2005 6:57:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Nick wrote:
> Butter pecan tastes better than any other flavor ice cream.
>
> <This is an IQ test...>
>

Okay I failed the test but NOD32 tastes great AND is less filling!

http://www.nod32.com
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 7:43:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

John wrote:
>
> Nick wrote:
> > Butter pecan tastes better than any other flavor ice cream.
> >
> > <This is an IQ test...>
> >
>
> Okay I failed the test but NOD32 tastes great AND is less filling!
>
> http://www.nod32.com

I agree. Good reviews, good real life catches, low on system resources.

Notan
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 8:16:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Notan wrote:
>
> John wrote:
> >
> > Nick wrote:
> > > Butter pecan tastes better than any other flavor ice cream.
> > >
> > > <This is an IQ test...>
> > >
> >
> > Okay I failed the test but NOD32 tastes great AND is less filling!
> >
> > http://www.nod32.com
>
> I agree. Good reviews, good real life catches, low on system resources.

.... and, on the few times I've needed to contact Tech Support, they've
not only been free(!), they've been friendly, courteous, and helpful,
something the "biggies" certainly can't claim.

Notan
August 15, 2005 8:14:49 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

In article <42FCFECB.CB2821D@ddress.com>, notan@ddress.com says...
> Matt Wiggins wrote:
> >
> > Does the Avast slow down a PC as much as Norton?
>
> Not at all!
>
> Notan
>
I found Avast does slow it down - but not as much as Norton.

If you're willing to pay, take a look at NOD32 - excellent and
doesn't slow down my machine hardly at all.

BTW, the free Avast does not include script blocking.

Louise
August 15, 2005 8:17:39 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

In article <Lz6Le.12$xl.3@trndny02>, MLD@verizon.net says...
>
> "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote in message
> news:mbUKe.5974$Rm3.4721@bignews4.bellsouth.net...
> >
> > "Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message
> > news:42FC080B.A01824E5@ddress.com...
> > > "S.Lewis" wrote:
> > >>
> > >> "LaRrY" <2roo@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> > >> news:2ETKe.377$UA1.136@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com...
> > >> > Is there any freeware anti virus that is any good ??AVG ???
> > >> > thanks
> > >> > larry
> > >> >
> > >>
> > >> Yep....
> > >>
> > >> http://www.download.com/3120-20_4-0.html?qt=AVG+7+free+...
> > >
> > > Also, have a look at:
> > >
> > > http://avast.com/i_kat_207.php?lang=ENG
> > >
> > > Notan
> >
> >
> > Notan,
> >
> > Tell me what you know or have experienced with AVAST. I see they have
> over
> > 2+ million downloads at CNET.
> >
> > I'm going to bring this down just in case AVG decides to stop offering
> free
> > home installs. (ie- like CA did with InoculateIT a few years ago).
> >
> > Perhaps I'll remove AVG and try this for a bit....
> >
> >
> > Stew
> >
> >
> Be advised that Avast will prevent the creation of automatic System Restore
> points. I like the program, it seems to be doing a good job, and for now
> am making manual restore points.
> MLD
>
>
>
Are you sure of this? Is there a place I can verify it? I need to
do so because I just installed the free version on someone's
machine and I wouldn't do that if system restore points were no
longer going to be created; these people wont do it manually.

Louise
August 15, 2005 8:20:49 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

In article <42FE6996.214F1692@ddress.com>, notan@ddress.com says...
> John wrote:
> >
> > Nick wrote:
> > > Butter pecan tastes better than any other flavor ice cream.
> > >
> > > <This is an IQ test...>
> > >
> >
> > Okay I failed the test but NOD32 tastes great AND is less filling!
> >
> > http://www.nod32.com
>
> I agree. Good reviews, good real life catches, low on system resources.
>
> Notan
>
Me too - just started using it after NAV followed by brief sojourns
with Trend and Avast. When I tried NOD32, I knew I needed to look
no further - my entire system speeded up.

Also, emailed their tech support with a question and received a
coherent and intelligent answer back within about 4 hours.

Louise
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 10:00:03 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"louise" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:MPG.1d69e323b408fccb9896b3@news-server.nyc.rr.com...
> In article <42FCFECB.CB2821D@ddress.com>, notan@ddress.com says...
>> Matt Wiggins wrote:
>> >
>> > Does the Avast slow down a PC as much as Norton?
>>
>> Not at all!
>>
>> Notan
>>
> I found Avast does slow it down - but not as much as Norton.
>
> If you're willing to pay, take a look at NOD32 - excellent and
> doesn't slow down my machine hardly at all.
>
> BTW, the free Avast does not include script blocking.
>
> Louise

On a healthy, properly configured computer, Norton AV does not slow it down.
It will scan most executable files before opening, so that the files take
slightly longer to open, but this is what you want!
It will also scan Word and Excel files before opening them, as they can
contain malicious code in the form of macros. On day to day operation, NAV
does not impact system performance operation at the OS level. It is only on
systems that are not healthy, or are not properly maintained, that issues
arise with the installation of programs like AV.

I recently retired as a Sysadmin for a company that had nearly 2000 computer
networked. All ran some form or another of Norton Internet Security or
Norton Antivirus. Because the machines were strictly controlled, were kept
in a healthy state, and were maintained on a regular basis, the
Symantec/Norton products had no impact on system performance, other than the
aforementioned pre-execution scan.

If you install any A/V program and it has no impact on some aspect of
performance, then it is not doing it's job.

You cannot have a piece of software that monitors all the other code on your
system and not have it affect your system in some way.

I can tell you this...from my past experience, I can tell you that both AVG
and Avast do not provide as comprehensive and up-to-date protection as does
Norton.

My recommendation to anyone asking the questions you have is this;

First, find out what underlying problems that you have and correct them, and
then install NAV. It is simply the best AV program out there.

Bobby
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 10:31:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"louise" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:MPG.1d69e3d016a91c179896b4@news-server.nyc.rr.com...
> In article <Lz6Le.12$xl.3@trndny02>, MLD@verizon.net says...
> >
> > "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote in message
> > news:mbUKe.5974$Rm3.4721@bignews4.bellsouth.net...
> > >
> > > "Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message
> > > news:42FC080B.A01824E5@ddress.com...
> > > > "S.Lewis" wrote:
> > > >>
> > > >> "LaRrY" <2roo@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> > > >> news:2ETKe.377$UA1.136@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com...
> > > >> > Is there any freeware anti virus that is any good ??AVG ???
> > > >> > thanks
> > > >> > larry
> > > >> >
> > > >>
> > > >> Yep....
> > > >>
> > > >>
http://www.download.com/3120-20_4-0.html?qt=AVG+7+free+...
> > > >
> > > > Also, have a look at:
> > > >
> > > > http://avast.com/i_kat_207.php?lang=ENG
> > > >
> > > > Notan
> > >
> > >
> > > Notan,
> > >
> > > Tell me what you know or have experienced with AVAST. I see they have
> > over
> > > 2+ million downloads at CNET.
> > >
> > > I'm going to bring this down just in case AVG decides to stop offering
> > free
> > > home installs. (ie- like CA did with InoculateIT a few years ago).
> > >
> > > Perhaps I'll remove AVG and try this for a bit....
> > >
> > >
> > > Stew
> > >
> > >
> > Be advised that Avast will prevent the creation of automatic System
Restore
> > points. I like the program, it seems to be doing a good job, and for
now
> > am making manual restore points.
> > MLD
> >
> >
> >
> Are you sure of this? Is there a place I can verify it? I need to
> do so because I just installed the free version on someone's
> machine and I wouldn't do that if system restore points were no
> longer going to be created; these people wont do it manually.
>
> Louise
Yes I'm sure. Verify it two ways. One--no more System Restore points being
created. You can make manual restore points and if you have an windows
update installed there will be a Restore Point. Two, disable Avast and
after about 2 hours or so providing the Idle time requirement was met. there
will be an automatic SR Point.
MLD
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 5:23:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"NoNoBadDog!" <no_@spam_verizon.net> wrote in message
news:D bWLe.1576$Y55.386@trnddc06...
>
> "louise" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> news:MPG.1d69e323b408fccb9896b3@news-server.nyc.rr.com...
> > In article <42FCFECB.CB2821D@ddress.com>, notan@ddress.com says...
> >> Matt Wiggins wrote:
> >> >
> >> > Does the Avast slow down a PC as much as Norton?
> >>
> >> Not at all!
> >>
> >> Notan
> >>
> > I found Avast does slow it down - but not as much as Norton.
> >
> > If you're willing to pay, take a look at NOD32 - excellent and
> > doesn't slow down my machine hardly at all.
> >
> > BTW, the free Avast does not include script blocking.
> >
> > Louise
>
> On a healthy, properly configured computer, Norton AV does not slow it
down.
> It will scan most executable files before opening, so that the files take
> slightly longer to open, but this is what you want!
> It will also scan Word and Excel files before opening them, as they can
> contain malicious code in the form of macros. On day to day operation,
NAV
> does not impact system performance operation at the OS level. It is only
on
> systems that are not healthy, or are not properly maintained, that issues
> arise with the installation of programs like AV.
>
> I recently retired as a Sysadmin for a company that had nearly 2000
computer
> networked. All ran some form or another of Norton Internet Security or
> Norton Antivirus. Because the machines were strictly controlled, were
kept
> in a healthy state, and were maintained on a regular basis, the
> Symantec/Norton products had no impact on system performance, other than
the
> aforementioned pre-execution scan.
>
> If you install any A/V program and it has no impact on some aspect of
> performance, then it is not doing it's job.
>
> You cannot have a piece of software that monitors all the other code on
your
> system and not have it affect your system in some way.
>
> I can tell you this...from my past experience, I can tell you that both
AVG
> and Avast do not provide as comprehensive and up-to-date protection as
does
> Norton.
>
> My recommendation to anyone asking the questions you have is this;
>
> First, find out what underlying problems that you have and correct them,
and
> then install NAV. It is simply the best AV program out there.
>
> Bobby

It's been my experience, that the greatest issue with Norton, et al, is
on machines that started with NAV 2000 to 2004 and were regularly upgrade
with later versions. Some remnants of previous versions seem to hang around
and cause issues with the current version. However if you use the full
suite of removal options (Win-add/remove Programs, and follow the full
instructions from Norton, to include using their program removal tools).
You can get a clean machine install a new copy of NAV without issues. At
least that's worked on a number of machines I've worked on that seemed to
have special issues with NAV.

KC
!