Anti virus ???

Is there any freeware anti virus that is any good ??AVG ???
thanks
larry
32 answers Last reply
More about anti virus

    "LaRrY" <2roo@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > Is there any freeware anti virus that is any good ??AVG ???
    > thanks
    > larry

    Yep....

    http://www.download.com/3120-20_4-0.html?qt=AVG+7+free+edition&tg=dl-20

    "S.Lewis" wrote:

    > "LaRrY" <2roo@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > > Is there any freeware anti virus that is any good ??AVG ???
    > > thanks
    > > larry
    > >

    > Yep....
    >
    > http://www.download.com/3120-20_4-0.html?qt=AVG+7+free+edition&tg=dl-20

    Also, have a look at:

    http://avast.com/i_kat_207.php?lang=ENG

    Notan

    > "S.Lewis" wrote:
    >>
    >> "LaRrY" <2roo@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >> > Is there any freeware anti virus that is any good ??AVG ???
    >> > thanks
    >> > larry
    >> >

    >> Yep....
    >>
    >> http://www.download.com/3120-20_4-0.html?qt=AVG+7+free+edition&tg=dl-20
    >
    > Also, have a look at:
    >
    > http://avast.com/i_kat_207.php?lang=ENG
    >
    > Notan

    Notan,

    Tell me what you know or have experienced with AVAST. I see they have over
    2+ million downloads at CNET.

    I'm going to bring this down just in case AVG decides to stop offering free
    home installs. (ie- like CA did with InoculateIT a few years ago).

    Perhaps I'll remove AVG and try this for a bit....

    Stew

    "S.Lewis" wrote:

    > "Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message
    > > "S.Lewis" wrote:
    > >>
    > >> "LaRrY" <2roo@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > >> >

    > >> Yep....
    > >>
    > >> http://www.download.com/3120-20_4-0.html?qt=AVG+7+free+edition&tg=dl-20
    > >
    > > Also, have a look at:
    > >
    > > http://avast.com/i_kat_207.php?lang=ENG
    > >
    > > Notan
    >
    > Notan,
    >
    > Tell me what you know or have experienced with AVAST. I see they have over
    > 2+ million downloads at CNET.
    >
    > I'm going to bring this down just in case AVG decides to stop offering free
    > home installs. (ie- like CA did with InoculateIT a few years ago).
    >
    > Perhaps I'll remove AVG and try this for a bit....

    I haven't had a whole lot of experience with it...

    I installed it on my wife's computer and a laptop that I'm using strictly
    for home automation. So far, it's caught a handful of viruses on each of
    the systems.

    I'd love to ramble on, about how good or bad it is, but I can't. While,
    as I said it's caught virus attacks on two systems, it's tough to do an
    A-B comparison of antivirus products, unless you're exposing all systems
    to the same attacks. While the magazines have the resources to do that,
    I don't.

    What the hell! Go for it! Give it a try!

    Notan

    thanks
    larry
    "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote in message

    > "LaRrY" <2roo@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >> Is there any freeware anti virus that is any good ??AVG ???
    >> thanks
    >> larry
    >>

    > Yep....
    >
    > http://www.download.com/3120-20_4-0.html?qt=AVG+7+free+edition&tg=dl-20

    Does the Avast slow down a PC as much as Norton?

    Matt Wiggins wrote:

    > Does the Avast slow down a PC as much as Norton?

    Not at all!

    Notan

    In article <BL4Le.17$%K4.16@trnddc09>, shawnwinget@NOSPAMhotmail.com
    says...
    > Along with what other people said, Mcafee and Norton simply do not work as
    > well as the free ones, especially AVG in my experience. Also AntiVir is
    > another good one. I have worked on countless machines that have updated
    > versions of either Norton or Mcafee and AVG still finds viruses.

    Interesting that you found the above:

    We manage the IT for several sororities, of all the machines moving into
    the house each year, the only clean machines we've ever seen were those
    running Norton AV with updated and valid subscriptions.

    We've found countless compromised McAfee and CA and others that were
    just undetected by their updated scans.

    We also install AVG as a means to check machines, the Norton ones come
    back clean when properly updated and running a current version, none of
    the others have. Now, I should also state that some of the Norton
    installs are not clean, but that's where the user has never updated the
    definitions and they are often more than a year old - while also running
    P2P apps on the same box.

    As for Symantec, I've never had a box running the Corporate Version
    compromised.

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

    Leythos wrote:

    > <snip>
    >
    > As for Symantec, I've never had a box running the Corporate Version
    > compromised.

    Norton works, but the cost is a *huge* drain on system resources.

    Unless you're running a system with unlimited resources, the impact
    is significant.

    Notan

    > "S.Lewis" wrote:
    > >
    > > "LaRrY" <2roo@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > > > Is there any freeware anti virus that is any good ??AVG ???
    > > > thanks
    > > > larry
    > > >

    > > Yep....
    > >
    > > http://www.download.com/3120-20_4-0.html?qt=AVG+7+free+edition&tg=dl-20
    >
    > Also, have a look at:
    >
    > http://avast.com/i_kat_207.php?lang=ENG
    >
    > Notan

    Be advised that Avast will prevent the automatic creation of System Restore
    points. I like the program and for now am routinely making manual restore
    points.
    MLD

    > "Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message
    > > "S.Lewis" wrote:
    > >>
    > >> "LaRrY" <2roo@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > >> >

    > >> Yep....
    > >>
    > >> http://www.download.com/3120-20_4-0.html?qt=AVG+7+free+edition&tg=dl-20
    > >
    > > Also, have a look at:
    > >
    > > http://avast.com/i_kat_207.php?lang=ENG
    > >
    > > Notan
    >

    > Notan,
    >
    > Tell me what you know or have experienced with AVAST. I see they have
    over
    > 2+ million downloads at CNET.
    >
    > I'm going to bring this down just in case AVG decides to stop offering
    free
    > home installs. (ie- like CA did with InoculateIT a few years ago).
    >
    > Perhaps I'll remove AVG and try this for a bit....
    >

    > Stew

    Be advised that Avast will prevent the creation of automatic System Restore
    points. I like the program, it seems to be doing a good job, and for now
    am making manual restore points.
    MLD

    "MLD" <MLD@verizon.net> wrote in message news:Lz6Le.12$xl.3@trndny02...

    > "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message

    >> > Also, have a look at:
    >> >
    >> > http://avast.com/i_kat_207.php?lang=ENG
    >> >
    >> > Notan
    >>

    >> Notan,
    >>
    >> Tell me what you know or have experienced with AVAST. I see they have
    > over
    >> 2+ million downloads at CNET.
    >>
    >> I'm going to bring this down just in case AVG decides to stop offering
    > free
    >> home installs. (ie- like CA did with InoculateIT a few years ago).
    >>
    >> Perhaps I'll remove AVG and try this for a bit....
    >>

    >> Stew
    >>

    > Be advised that Avast will prevent the creation of automatic System
    > Restore
    > points. I like the program, it seems to be doing a good job, and for now
    > am making manual restore points.
    > MLD

    MLD -

    So to be effective, it disables system restore - ? If so, when disabled,
    *all* restore points are lost no matter if they were created manually or
    automatically (by Windows....)

    ?

    I can see unlocking and making *all* files available for scanning, but to
    entirely lose system restore would be a fairly heavy price for doing so,
    imo.

    Stew

    Norton will *NOT* slow down a properly configured and well-maintained
    computer.

    Bobby

    "NoNoBadDog!" wrote:

    > Norton will *NOT* slow down a properly configured and well-maintained
    > computer.
    >
    > <snip>

    If you were right, I'd agree with you. <g>

    For some recent feedback on NIS, head over to microsoft.public.security
    and search for "NORTON," "NIS," etc., or have a look at a recent thread,
    "NIS or XP firewall."

    Notan

    > Norton will *NOT* slow down a properly configured and well-maintained
    > computer.
    >
    > Bobby

    I strongly disagree. Whether it be Norton 2005 or NIS, they both take a
    heavy toll on most any P4 generation box that I've seen. McAfee 8 is only
    slightly better.

    Stew

    Once again, on a healthy machine that is properly maintained, Norton does
    not drain resources and does not slow a healthy system down. We need to
    stop perpetuating the myth that Norton is a resource hog. It is not, if
    certain guidelines are followed.

    Bobby

    > Once again, on a healthy machine that is properly maintained, Norton does
    > not drain resources and does not slow a healthy system down. We need to
    > stop perpetuating the myth that Norton is a resource hog. It is not, if
    > certain guidelines are followed.
    >
    > Bobby

    Norton is a shameless, resource hogging, registry populating, startup
    consuming - PIG.

    Period.

    We simply disagree (probably in the strongest possible terms).

    Regards,

    Stew

    In article <Ct7Le.180$Y55.2@trnddc06>, no_@spam_verizon.net says...
    > Once again, on a healthy machine that is properly maintained, Norton does
    > not drain resources and does not slow a healthy system down. We need to
    > stop perpetuating the myth that Norton is a resource hog. It is not, if
    > certain guidelines are followed.

    I agree, on a properly uncompromised Norton Antivirus (not NIS or NSW)
    does not impact the system any more than other full time, full featured,
    Antivirus scanners.

    --

    In article <42FD04B0.E8C16D3B@ddress.com>, notan@ddress.com says...
    > "NoNoBadDog!" wrote:
    > >
    > > Norton will *NOT* slow down a properly configured and well-maintained
    > > computer.
    > >
    > > <snip>
    >
    > If you were right, I'd agree with you. <g>
    >
    > For some recent feedback on NIS, head over to microsoft.public.security
    > and search for "NORTON," "NIS," etc., or have a look at a recent thread,
    > "NIS or XP firewall."

    NIS is a total pig, but, if you only install Norton Antivirus, then it's
    not a resource issue at all. NIS should not be installed on any system.
    The stand-alone Norton Antivirs product is fine and works better than
    most products like it.

    --

    Leythos wrote:

    > In article <42FD04B0.E8C16D3B@ddress.com>, notan@ddress.com says...
    > > "NoNoBadDog!" wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Norton will *NOT* slow down a properly configured and well-maintained
    > > > computer.
    > > >
    > > > <snip>
    > >
    > > If you were right, I'd agree with you. <g>
    > >
    > > For some recent feedback on NIS, head over to microsoft.public.security
    > > and search for "NORTON," "NIS," etc., or have a look at a recent thread,
    > > "NIS or XP firewall."
    >
    > NIS is a total pig, but, if you only install Norton Antivirus, then it's
    > not a resource issue at all. NIS should not be installed on any system.
    > The stand-alone Norton Antivirs product is fine and works better than
    > most products like it.

    If that's the case, I stand corrected.

    Notan

    Yes, it will. Just yesterday I got fed up with it, uninstalled and
    expunged it, and installed TrendMicro's PC Cillin. A scan that took 30
    minutes with Norton took about 12 with Trend - and Trend picked up some
    issues that Norton missed.

    If you have access to the September issue of Consumer Reports, they have
    an extensive review of security software. Norton was decidely middling
    in performance - better than McAfee, but an order of magnitude behind
    the leader (Trend).

    NoNoBadDog! wrote:
    > Norton will *NOT* slow down a properly configured and well-maintained
    > computer.

    Butter pecan tastes better than any other flavor ice cream.

    <This is an IQ test...>

    --
    Nick <mailto:tanstaafl@pobox.com>

    "My mind is already made up. I do not want any facts,
    as they would simply confuse me." M.E.

    (Sig stolen from the "Organization of Paranoid Anarchists For A Better
    World Filled With Peace and Harmony And Free Lunches For All Coming Real
    Soon Now".)

    Now that is funny. I installed NIS for a customer and once I got it running
    properly (after about 10 reinstalls) I sent it home with him. He called me
    and said he could no longer burn cd's. He was getting (8x drive, no burn
    proof) buffer underrun errors. I had him use msconfig to disable all the
    norton services and he was able to burn disks fine. He ended up getting a
    new cd burner that has buffer underrun protection.

    Nick wrote:
    > Butter pecan tastes better than any other flavor ice cream.
    >
    > <This is an IQ test...>

    Okay I failed the test but NOD32 tastes great AND is less filling!

    http://www.nod32.com

    John wrote:

    > Nick wrote:
    > > Butter pecan tastes better than any other flavor ice cream.
    > >
    > > <This is an IQ test...>
    > >

    > Okay I failed the test but NOD32 tastes great AND is less filling!
    >
    > http://www.nod32.com

    I agree. Good reviews, good real life catches, low on system resources.

    Notan
  26. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Notan wrote:

    > John wrote:
    > >
    > > Nick wrote:
    > > > Butter pecan tastes better than any other flavor ice cream.
    > > >
    > > > <This is an IQ test...>
    > > >

    > > Okay I failed the test but NOD32 tastes great AND is less filling!
    > >
    > > http://www.nod32.com
    >
    > I agree. Good reviews, good real life catches, low on system resources.

    .... and, on the few times I've needed to contact Tech Support, they've
    not only been free(!), they've been friendly, courteous, and helpful,
    something the "biggies" certainly can't claim.

    Notan
  27. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    In article <42FCFECB.CB2821D@ddress.com>, notan@ddress.com says...
    > Matt Wiggins wrote:
    > >
    > > Does the Avast slow down a PC as much as Norton?
    >
    > Not at all!
    >
    > Notan

    I found Avast does slow it down - but not as much as Norton.

    If you're willing to pay, take a look at NOD32 - excellent and
    doesn't slow down my machine hardly at all.

    BTW, the free Avast does not include script blocking.

    Louise
  28. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    In article <Lz6Le.12$xl.3@trndny02>, MLD@verizon.net says...

    > "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message

    > > > Also, have a look at:
    > > >
    > > > http://avast.com/i_kat_207.php?lang=ENG
    > > >
    > > > Notan
    > >

    > > Notan,
    > >
    > > Tell me what you know or have experienced with AVAST. I see they have
    > over
    > > 2+ million downloads at CNET.
    > >
    > > I'm going to bring this down just in case AVG decides to stop offering
    > free
    > > home installs. (ie- like CA did with InoculateIT a few years ago).
    > >
    > > Perhaps I'll remove AVG and try this for a bit....
    > >

    > > Stew
    > >

    > Be advised that Avast will prevent the creation of automatic System Restore
    > points. I like the program, it seems to be doing a good job, and for now
    > am making manual restore points.
    > MLD

    Are you sure of this? Is there a place I can verify it? I need to
    do so because I just installed the free version on someone's
    machine and I wouldn't do that if system restore points were no
    longer going to be created; these people wont do it manually.

    Louise
  29. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    In article <42FE6996.214F1692@ddress.com>, notan@ddress.com says...
    > John wrote:
    > >
    > > Nick wrote:
    > > > Butter pecan tastes better than any other flavor ice cream.
    > > >
    > > > <This is an IQ test...>
    > > >

    > > Okay I failed the test but NOD32 tastes great AND is less filling!
    > >
    > > http://www.nod32.com
    >
    > I agree. Good reviews, good real life catches, low on system resources.
    >
    > Notan

    Me too - just started using it after NAV followed by brief sojourns
    with Trend and Avast. When I tried NOD32, I knew I needed to look
    no further - my entire system speeded up.

    Also, emailed their tech support with a question and received a
    coherent and intelligent answer back within about 4 hours.

    Louise
  30. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    "louise" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > In article <42FCFECB.CB2821D@ddress.com>, notan@ddress.com says...
    >> Matt Wiggins wrote:
    >> >
    >> > Does the Avast slow down a PC as much as Norton?
    >>
    >> Not at all!
    >>
    >> Notan
    >>
    > I found Avast does slow it down - but not as much as Norton.
    >
    > If you're willing to pay, take a look at NOD32 - excellent and
    > doesn't slow down my machine hardly at all.
    >
    > BTW, the free Avast does not include script blocking.
    >
    > Louise

    On a healthy, properly configured computer, Norton AV does not slow it down.
    It will scan most executable files before opening, so that the files take
    slightly longer to open, but this is what you want!
    It will also scan Word and Excel files before opening them, as they can
    contain malicious code in the form of macros. On day to day operation, NAV
    does not impact system performance operation at the OS level. It is only on
    systems that are not healthy, or are not properly maintained, that issues
    arise with the installation of programs like AV.

    I recently retired as a Sysadmin for a company that had nearly 2000 computer
    networked. All ran some form or another of Norton Internet Security or
    Norton Antivirus. Because the machines were strictly controlled, were kept
    in a healthy state, and were maintained on a regular basis, the
    Symantec/Norton products had no impact on system performance, other than the
    aforementioned pre-execution scan.

    If you install any A/V program and it has no impact on some aspect of
    performance, then it is not doing it's job.

    You cannot have a piece of software that monitors all the other code on your
    system and not have it affect your system in some way.

    I can tell you this...from my past experience, I can tell you that both AVG
    and Avast do not provide as comprehensive and up-to-date protection as does
    Norton.

    My recommendation to anyone asking the questions you have is this;

    First, find out what underlying problems that you have and correct them, and
    then install NAV. It is simply the best AV program out there.

    Bobby
  31. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    > In article <Lz6Le.12$xl.3@trndny02>, MLD@verizon.net says...
    > >
    > > "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message

    http://www.download.com/3120-20_4-0.html?qt=AVG+7+free+edition&tg=dl-20

    > > > Notan,
    > > >
    > > > Tell me what you know or have experienced with AVAST. I see they have
    > > over
    > > > 2+ million downloads at CNET.
    > > >
    > > > I'm going to bring this down just in case AVG decides to stop offering
    > > free
    > > > home installs. (ie- like CA did with InoculateIT a few years ago).
    > > >
    > > > Perhaps I'll remove AVG and try this for a bit....
    > > >

    > > > Stew
    > > >

    > > Be advised that Avast will prevent the creation of automatic System
    Restore
    > > points. I like the program, it seems to be doing a good job, and for
    now
    > > am making manual restore points.
    > > MLD
    > >

    > Are you sure of this? Is there a place I can verify it? I need to
    > do so because I just installed the free version on someone's
    > machine and I wouldn't do that if system restore points were no
    > longer going to be created; these people wont do it manually.
    >
    > Louise
    Yes I'm sure. Verify it two ways. One--no more System Restore points being
    created. You can make manual restore points and if you have an windows
    update installed there will be a Restore Point. Two, disable Avast and
    after about 2 hours or so providing the Idle time requirement was met. there
    will be an automatic SR Point.
    MLD
  32. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    > "louise" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message

    > >> Not at all!
    > >>
    > >> Notan
    > >>
    > > I found Avast does slow it down - but not as much as Norton.
    > >
    > > If you're willing to pay, take a look at NOD32 - excellent and
    > > doesn't slow down my machine hardly at all.
    > >
    > > BTW, the free Avast does not include script blocking.
    > >
    > > Louise
    >
    > On a healthy, properly configured computer, Norton AV does not slow it
    down.
    > It will scan most executable files before opening, so that the files take
    > slightly longer to open, but this is what you want!
    > It will also scan Word and Excel files before opening them, as they can
    > contain malicious code in the form of macros. On day to day operation,
    NAV
    > does not impact system performance operation at the OS level. It is only
    on
    > systems that are not healthy, or are not properly maintained, that issues
    > arise with the installation of programs like AV.
    >
    > I recently retired as a Sysadmin for a company that had nearly 2000
    computer
    > networked. All ran some form or another of Norton Internet Security or
    > Norton Antivirus. Because the machines were strictly controlled, were
    kept
    > in a healthy state, and were maintained on a regular basis, the
    > Symantec/Norton products had no impact on system performance, other than
    the
    > aforementioned pre-execution scan.
    >
    > If you install any A/V program and it has no impact on some aspect of
    > performance, then it is not doing it's job.
    >
    > You cannot have a piece of software that monitors all the other code on
    your
    > system and not have it affect your system in some way.
    >
    > I can tell you this...from my past experience, I can tell you that both
    AVG
    > and Avast do not provide as comprehensive and up-to-date protection as
    does
    > Norton.
    >
    > My recommendation to anyone asking the questions you have is this;
    >
    > First, find out what underlying problems that you have and correct them,
    and
    > then install NAV. It is simply the best AV program out there.
    >
    > Bobby

    It's been my experience, that the greatest issue with Norton, et al, is
    on machines that started with NAV 2000 to 2004 and were regularly upgrade
    with later versions. Some remnants of previous versions seem to hang around
    and cause issues with the current version. However if you use the full
    suite of removal options (Win-add/remove Programs, and follow the full
    instructions from Norton, to include using their program removal tools).
    You can get a clean machine install a new copy of NAV without issues. At
    least that's worked on a number of machines I've worked on that seemed to
    have special issues with NAV.

    KC

Dell Freeware Antivirus Computers