bnet alternatives? any?

I was wondering, is there absolutely no way for someone else to host a
server like bnet where we could play? I am sure there are some
technicalities in teh TOS and EULA someplace wehre they say if you do
such a thing they will take away your last dime and you dog to boot.

But there are places and realms running for mods. CE MOD is one I know,
CCC is a great place to play, none of the whining and griping of bnet
and none of the griefing and helpful people all round. Imagine muling
in a open game where anyone can enter and all your stuff is on the
floor and no one touches it. If such a server exists for a MOD, why not
for LOD original. For that matter i wonder how the mod realms are run,
i would be interested in setting up a server if i knew how, at least
for the gang here in this city.

regards
Grim

kylel4 wrote:

> bnetd still exists.. www.pvpgn.org .. still works fine, you can use it to
> host mods, original lod, whatever you like.. tons of private realms running,
> enjoy

Ok i dont know if this sounds interesting to you guys but here goes.
India typically has been a FPS or a driving game country. Tough to find
RPGs or RTSs' here. Imagine my surprise when i happen to overhear words
like "bonespear" and "Power Strike" at a school i visited. This school
is run by some charities for the underprivilaged. These kids, about 13
of them had one copy of D2 [not LOD] with them [a gift from a jesuit
missionary no less]. They had two computers at school, which they would
play D2 Single Player on, after school, with permission from their
mother superior. They made it into a team sport, with everyone crowding
round the terminal yelling ideas and pointers to the guy whose turn it
was that night.

Well after talking to some of them and then to my friends, and my
better half [this was very important] we got 10 more sets of D2 and
LOD. but we did not have so many computers for them, so we requested a
local business [a cyber cafe] to let them load up and play after hours,
three days a week. It was all good. Till one day, the kids discovered
Bnet. Now the cyber-cafe guy is whining a bit as they are actually
using his bandwidth, and he is going out of pocket.

Hence the idea to set up a D2 Server, they already play LAN games but
they have seen the huge number of people on Bnet and they obviously
would lke to meet other players and see everyone's playing styles
beyond their own small troop. The server i am talking about would be
limited in scope, it would be for two to three hundred players max, i
am sure to go beyond would be too costly, plus i do not wish to be
arrested or anything. I am just happy to see that these guys play D2,
[even Neverwinter nights OC]
thanks for your time, i shall checkout pvpgen now.

regards
Grimbold