MSN 6.2 hangs when logging in!!

Michiel

Strange problem!

When msn logs in it hangs! My contacts appear but then I
have to do "end task". Allready reïnstalled 6.2, deleted
everything in the registry but keeps crashing!

Ideas?

Greeetings Michiel,

You may need to completely remove your Messenger settings and then try again. To do so,
click Start, then Run,
then type:
%appdata%\microsoft
and click OK.

Right-click the MSN Messenger folder and choose Delete. After all this, restart Messenger
and see if the problem has been corrected.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"Michiel" <michiel@bluesky.be> wrote in message
Strange problem!

When msn logs in it hangs! My contacts appear but then I
have to do "end task". Allready reïnstalled 6.2, deleted
everything in the registry but keeps crashing!

Ideas?

I have the same problem. I have a fleet of PC's and if
you install SP2 before you install MSN messenger 6.2 it
fails as you describe. If you install MSN messenger
before SP2, MSN will auto repair itself after SP2 has
been installed. I believe it has something to do with MSN
6.2 needing to use localhost for a Socks4 proxy when XP
SP2 has been applied. Turning on Socks 4 proxy does
nothing. Strange!

Cheers,

Glenn

Jonathan Kay.

>"Michiel" <michiel@bluesky.be> wrote in message
>Strange problem!
>
>When msn logs in it hangs! My contacts appear but then I
>have to do "end task". Allready reïnstalled 6.2, deleted
>everything in the registry but keeps crashing!
>
>Ideas?
>

>.

i have had the same problem with both windows messenger
and msn messenger. after going through my router's
configuration i tracked it down to being Port 1723 being
forwarded to my VPN server. once i turned the port
forwarding off for that facility it just started working
again as if nothing had ever happened. to prove this was
the problem i signed in and out with the port forwarding
on port 1723 off numerous times. then turned the port
forwarding back on, and sure enough msn messenger and
windows messenger would both instantly hang on sign in.

to this day i have not found a way around this issue, not
even with the use of Microsoft ISA Server 2000 and
connecting to msn using the HTTP proxy. so to cut a long
story short, if you are running any servers from your
connection try turning the port forwarding off temporarily
and see if that fixes it up.

Andrew Parsons