TheGame

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2002
Ok... lol, i don't know very much about the workings of video cards, but i was wondering if a comany were to make a digital monitor, would that make the RAMDAC of a video card useless?? or does the RAMDAC have another purpose?? also is there an artical here that thoroughly describes video cards? ok thanks!

-TheGame-

Col_Kiwi

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002
It's already been done. A DVI-I output port (seen on some new video cards) is for a digital output, and doesn't need a RAMDAC chip.

DVI monitors are still quite expensive, usually only high end LCDs.

RAMDAC is short for Random Access Memory Digital Analogue Converter. It's a small SRAM (Static Random Access Memory) chip that converts the digital output from the video card into a three-channel RGB (Red, Green, Blue) signal for the VGA output. When your output is digital (like DVI), this is completely unneccessary.

It'll be quite a while until they stop putting RAMDACs on video cards and switch to DVI only, the monitors are far too rare still.

-Col.Kiwi

TheGame

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2002
yeah thats what i read, but i was wondering if my theory was true. yeah i kinda figured if they did make a digital monitor it would be an expensive LCD, and you dont know of any good links that explain video cards do you? thanks.

-TheGame-

TheGame

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2002
so does anyone know of any good videocards links? as in like an indepth look of how they work. thanks!

-TheGame-