Airlink+ WLH3010 G PCI Wireless G cuts out Matrox AGP vide..

mark

I recently purchased an Airlink+ WLH3010 Wireless G PCI card for my
kids computer and when I went to install it in one of the 3 open PCI
slots, reconnected everything and turned it on, the monitor had no
display, first I though the video cable was loose, checked it, but
still no display. I removed the Airlink card and everything worked
fine. Since the video card is Matrox AGP and not a PCI why would the
Airlink interfer with the video display? the sound card and other nic
card worked okay with no interference.

I am tempted to return it to Outpost/Frys and go with a Linksys USB
version, but thought I would check around first.

I appreciate any insight you may have.

Mark
msromney@winfirst.com

On 25 Jun 2004 21:44:13 -0700, msromney@winfirst.com (Mark) wrote:

>I recently purchased an Airlink+ WLH3010 Wireless G PCI card for my
>kids computer and when I went to install it in one of the 3 open PCI
>slots, reconnected everything and turned it on, the monitor had no
>display, first I though the video cable was loose, checked it, but
>still no display. I removed the Airlink card and everything worked
>fine. Since the video card is Matrox AGP and not a PCI why would the
>Airlink interfer with the video display? the sound card and other nic
>card worked okay with no interference.

The wireless card is NOT interfering with the AGP video card. It's
literally shorting the PCI bus and preventing the computah from
booting. Since the video is the most obvious indication that it's
starting to boot, one might suspect that it's affecting the video.
However, that's probably not the case.

Common problems are:
1. Did you shove the card all the way into the PCI socket?
2. Did you something else get shoved into the socket along with the
card? My favorite dumb stunt was to smash a rubber band into the
socket. Also, check for paper debris in the slot.
3. Is the card hitting something on the motherboard? Some
motherboards have voltage regulators, USB connectors, and other
projecting hardware that can short against the card.
4. Is the PCI slot bad? Try a different slot.
5. Did you buy it at Fry's with an "Inspected by Fry's" sticker which
means that someone bought it, screwed with it, returned it, and now
you're stuck with it.

>I am tempted to return it to Outpost/Frys and go with a Linksys USB
>version, but thought I would check around first.

I would go with the USB version. The ability to put the radio in a
better RF location than the back of a steel box that acts as a barrier
to all RF and inside the biggest source of RFI in the house, is worth
the effort. Try to get a USB radio that has an external antenna.

>I appreciate any insight you may have.
>Mark
>msromney@winfirst.com

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

You don't mention if the computer exhibits any startup activity, if it beeps
or if it just sits there. My first thought is that the card is shorted, and
holding the system down. I doubt that it is a hardware conflict but have
seen stranger things happen. Contact Matrox and see if they can inform you
of any known conflicts before replacing the card.