After SP2 Messenger invokes wrong email client

Ed

Prior to XP SP2, Messenger would access my Hotmail via
Internet explorer. After installing SP2, messenger now
opens Outlook Express which does me no good. Is there a
way to configure it to access web mail via IE again?

Greetings Ed,

The Windows Messenger version within SP2 does not have support for Add-ins which is required
for Hotmail support within Windows Messenger. As such, in order to get this functionality
back, you'll either need to downgrade to the previous version of Windows Messenger
(http://www.microsoft.com/windows/messenger/download.asp) or use MSN Messenger instead
(http://messenger.msn.com/Download).
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"Ed" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Prior to XP SP2, Messenger would access my Hotmail via
> Internet explorer. After installing SP2, messenger now
> opens Outlook Express which does me no good. Is there a
> way to configure it to access web mail via IE again?

Thank you for the information.
I for one am confused on the differences between
XP windows messenger and MSN messenger.
I do not want to subscribe to MSN, I already have
broadband and have no need for another ISP unless I
misunderstand what MSN is all about. I do not want MSN
home page etc. The only feature of the previous windows
messenger I used was the hotmail interface.

Jonathan Kay.

You do not have to subscribe to MSN, you can download and install MSN
Messenger and then use that by configuring Windows Messenger to not start
and MSN Messenger to start when you turn your computer on. MSN Messenger
has better video and is used by many. Just go to http://messenger.msn.com/
download and install.

However, just leave Windows Messenger installed, but configure not to
startup when you turn your computer on.

Joel