My fire/ice sorc

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003

Hi all,

So, I'm building a sorc, and am kinda new at that char type. My last
sorc was pure, 100% fire (except for, *ahem*, teleport). She rocked
against all non fire immunes, but stalled fast against hordes of fire
immune fallen. Of course she was SC, so this was not a problem.

My new sorc, Mrs_fahrenheit (nice name, huh?) is HC, and is planning to
go the fire & ice route, with 20 hydra, 20 fire mastery, and 20
blizzard. I'm expecting to let the hydras kill all but the fire immune,
and use blizzard only as a back up skill. With that in mind, I'm
wondering about cold mastery. Is that something that should be maxed,
or can that be left at 1 point and then pumped with +skills? I really
would like to save those 19 points for synergy use if it's feasible to
do so...

-Jason

Dont forget you get an extra 12 skills from quests.

I have never played a sorc, but from what I've heard, it sounds like a
skill that you only need 1 in to effectively peirce the cold
resistance.
Why Hydra and not meteor, fireball, or firewall?

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003

Garret wrote:
> Why Hydra and not meteor, fireball, or firewall?

Hydras are auto targeting, and can hit guys off screen. Place a hydra
or two in a door. Watch 'em spit fire until they are done. Step
forward. Place hydras inside the room. Watch 'em spit fire until they
are done. Repeat.

Hydras can also be used as spies. Not sure if there are enemies
lurking? Place a hydra! If it sees an enemy it'll spit fire right at it!

How do they do damagewise compared to Fireball/wall/meteor?

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003

Garret wrote:
> How do they do damagewise compared to Fireball/wall/meteor?

My last sorc had 28 fire mastery and 28 hydra. Each hydra lasts 10
seconds, and there is a 2 second cast delay. This means you have a max
of 5 hydras at one time. Each hydra has 3 heads, and they fire about
once a second. Damage was about 650-800 per shot.

So

5 hydras times 3 heads each equals 15 fireball spitting heads.

15 spitting heads at 650-800 fire damage each equals 9,750 to 12,000
fire damage per second...

....AND you can cast a hydra then run away. It'll continue to kill, even
in your absence.

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003

SjoerdH wrote:
> Jason wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > So, I'm building a sorc, and am kinda new at that char type. My last
> > sorc was pure, 100% fire (except for, *ahem*, teleport). She rocked
> > against all non fire immunes, but stalled fast against hordes of fire
> > immune fallen. Of course she was SC, so this was not a problem.
> >
> > My new sorc, Mrs_fahrenheit (nice name, huh?) is HC, and is planning to
> > go the fire & ice route, with 20 hydra, 20 fire mastery, and 20
> > blizzard. I'm expecting to let the hydras kill all but the fire immune,
> > and use blizzard only as a back up skill. With that in mind, I'm
> > wondering about cold mastery. Is that something that should be maxed,
> > or can that be left at 1 point and then pumped with +skills? I really
> > would like to save those 19 points for synergy use if it's feasible to
> > do so...
>
> It works nicely at lvl 1, but more levels do work. In 1.09 I think there
> were some serious diminishing returns, but now each level adds another
> -5% enemy resists, from -20% at lvl1 to -115% at lvl20. I'm not sure
> what's a good level to aim for though.

In that case, the best thing to do would be to put 1 hard point and
save the rest of my skills. Once I'm in hell, if that single point is
enough, then I can add to synergies. If not, then I'll up it until I
like the results.

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003

Brian Kastel wrote:
> I didn't like the fire/ice combination, but I like to do countess runs.
> With her being CI/FI, and her Dark Stalker minions being CI, it's going to
> be a pain for your sorc. Plus, I don't think the minions will stop chasing
> your sorc just because of some hydras, either.

My trusted rabbi can make quick work of the countess. If her minions
are merely CI, then my hydras will eat them alive. I'll spam hydras in
the doorway. They'll all be dead in no time.

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003

Brian Kastel wrote:
> "Jason" wrote...
> >
> > Brian Kastel wrote:
> >> I didn't like the fire/ice combination, but I like to do countess runs.
> >> With her being CI/FI, and her Dark Stalker minions being CI, it's going
> >> be a pain for your sorc. Plus, I don't think the minions will stop
> >> chasing
> >> your sorc just because of some hydras, either.
> >
> > My trusted rabbi can make quick work of the countess. If her minions
> > are merely CI, then my hydras will eat them alive. I'll spam hydras in
> > the doorway. They'll all be dead in no time.
>

> How is your rabbi dressed?

I'm only level 19, in act 2 normal. Let me answer this question once I
get to hell. ;)

Sorceress don't need any clothes, what are you talking about? ;)

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003

Garret wrote:
> Sorceress don't need any clothes, what are you talking about? ;)

They can't just walk around nekid! This is a kids game, ya know!

-Jason

P.S. He was asking about my rabbi. (Rabbi = norm/hell act 2 combat merc
with prayer aura).

This game is rated M, so its not really a kids game. Isn't andariel
topless, and the succumbus and harpies in the crystalline passage
topless as well? They're pretty ugly though. Whos better looking: The
sorc, amazon, or assassin? I'd pick the sorc.
I just noticed the other day, but take some time to actually look at
mephistos room - its gotta be the most disgusting place ever. Thats M
for ya.

Brian Kastel wrote:
> "Jason" wrote...
> >
> > Brian Kastel wrote:
> >> "Jason" wrote...

> >> How is your rabbi dressed?
> >
> > I'm only level 19, in act 2 normal. Let me answer this question once I
> > get to hell. ;)
>

> Ah... Well, she is the Countess to whom I was referring, after all. :)

..... did I miss something here? Suddenly I'm getting images of Rabbi's
and Countesses shagging on the carpet! Ew!

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003

Brian Kastel wrote:
> "Jason" wrote...
> >
> > Brian Kastel wrote:
> >> "Jason" wrote...

> >> Ah... Well, she is the Countess to whom I was referring, after all. :)
> >
> > .... did I miss something here? Suddenly I'm getting images of Rabbi's
> > and Countesses shagging on the carpet! Ew!
>
> You missed nothing. The best I could had for my previous character's merc
> was Duriel's Shell, Insight Thresher, and some green hat. That was why I
> asked. I had the HF NM A2 merc, and he just seemed to die a lot. Since you
> mentioned in the other branch that your merc is a prayer merc, that may
> explain something. I'd never heard the term "rabbi" used before, and I was
> unaware that it specifically denoted a prayer merc.
>
> I learned to use teleport a lot, which lengthened my merc's life since he
> and the monsters had to take time to regroup as hail and lightning continued
> to work them over (Blizzard and Charged Bolt).

I see.... I'll give my merc whatever armor/helm I can find. Crown of
Thieves is ideal. Durial's is awesome, if I can find it. An Honor'ed
lance or war Pike would be good enough for damage. His job is to act as
crowd control while healing me at 20 HP ever 2-3 seconds. Aside from
that all he needs to really do is kill the occasional fire and ice
immune boss.

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003

Brian Kastel wrote:
> "Jason" wrote...
> > I see.... I'll give my merc whatever armor/helm I can find. Crown of
> > Thieves is ideal. Durial's is awesome, if I can find it. An Honor'ed
> > lance or war Pike would be good enough for damage. His job is to act as
> > crowd control while healing me at 20 HP ever 2-3 seconds. Aside from
> > that all he needs to really do is kill the occasional fire and ice
> > immune boss.
>
> I wouldn't count on that happening very often in Hell. ;) Be prepared to
> give up on some bosses.

Never! Once I killed a fire/physical immune council member (one of the
named ones) with my fire sorc using a lightning enchanted wand! We
cornered him in one of the buildings in Trav, my merc pinned him to the
wall with his lance. He was unable to hurt him, but he kept him busy. I
smacked away with my magic wand. It took 10 minutes but we did it!

"Jason" wrote...

Jason wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> So, I'm building a sorc, and am kinda new at that char type. My last
> sorc was pure, 100% fire (except for, *ahem*, teleport). She rocked
> against all non fire immunes, but stalled fast against hordes of fire
> immune fallen. Of course she was SC, so this was not a problem.
>
> My new sorc, Mrs_fahrenheit (nice name, huh?) is HC, and is planning to
> go the fire & ice route, with 20 hydra, 20 fire mastery, and 20
> blizzard. I'm expecting to let the hydras kill all but the fire immune,
> and use blizzard only as a back up skill. With that in mind, I'm
> wondering about cold mastery. Is that something that should be maxed,
> or can that be left at 1 point and then pumped with +skills? I really
> would like to save those 19 points for synergy use if it's feasible to
> do so...

It works nicely at lvl 1, but more levels do work. In 1.09 I think there
were some serious diminishing returns, but now each level adds another
-5% enemy resists, from -20% at lvl1 to -115% at lvl20. I'm not sure
what's a good level to aim for though.

"Jason" wrote...

> Brian Kastel wrote:

>> > My trusted rabbi can make quick work of the countess. If her minions
>> > are merely CI, then my hydras will eat them alive. I'll spam hydras in
>> > the doorway. They'll all be dead in no time.
>>

>> How is your rabbi dressed?
>
> I'm only level 19, in act 2 normal. Let me answer this question once I
> get to hell. ;)

Ah... Well, she is the Countess to whom I was referring, after all. :)

LOL

"Jason" wrote...

Jason wrote:
> Garret wrote:
>
>>Sorceress don't need any clothes, what are you talking about? ;)
>
> They can't just walk around nekid! This is a kids game, ya know!
>
> -Jason
>
> P.S. He was asking about my rabbi. (Rabbi = norm/hell act 2 combat merc
> with prayer aura).

I suggest they both go in the nude. >_>