Total noob wanting to network two home pc's.

dyne

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2001
okay theres two pc's in my house. one is my brothers which is running winxp home and is the one the dsl is currently connected too. my pc is running win2000 pro and i wanted to "share" his connection. from whet ive been able to find obviously i need a nic card for my pc and that a dsl router (and not a hub) is what i should get. now if we were both online (him playing EQ and me downloading stuff) would there be a noticable difference in transfer rates when were both on as opposed to just one? also ive been trying to find easy step by step instructions on how to set this idea up and cant really find any. and finally would the xp/2000 be a problem?

tmlim

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
Yes, a router works. DSL into the router, both computers into the router. I've got 4 computer hooked up to the router, and have had 3 people surfing and me playing CS, and nobody complained at all. The XP/2000 shouldn't be a problem, but there might be in the sharing of the files. Windows is like that, but sharing the DSL should work with no problems.

You will have to do some ipconfig with the router to identify your DSL connection. Then you'll have to ipconfig to tell your computers to go through the router.

dyne

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2001
okay cool. thanks a bunch for the reply. im not planning on sharing any files between the two anyway so that wont be a prob. they give you a decent manual with the router to explain the ipconfig stuff right?

tmlim

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
I have the SMC barricade router, model# 7004ABR. The manual was ok. Could have been better. If you have some background in internet IP addresses and stuff like that, you should be fine.

I don't recomend the SMC router I mentioned. I find it's finicky. It gets the job done, but I wouldn't buy it if I had the choice again. I think the D-Link might be better. But that's just my opinion