Sign in with
Your question

Want out

Last response: in Windows 8
September 26, 2012 9:37:30 PM

Hello,
I recently downloaded the windows 8 release preview. I had been using windows 7 with programs that worked with it. Now, they just don't work on W8. Secondly, I just don't care for 8. Is there a way to save all the files and programs and re-install Windows 7.
Thanks-

More about : question

a b $ Windows 7
September 26, 2012 9:48:23 PM

Good question. I seriously doubt it. If all else fails do a fresh install on a different HDD or SSD and migrate the files later.
m
l
September 26, 2012 10:03:08 PM

5618,2,142552 said:
Good question. I seriously doubt it. If all else fails do a fresh install on a different HDD or SSD and migrate the files later.[/
Hey, thanks for the response. Hate to admit it but you just flew over my head with your response. How do you migrate? Maybe I'm just in the wrong realm here. I do appreciate your response again. The "seriously doubt it" term was simple to understand.

Thanks,

Bill
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
September 27, 2012 6:47:23 PM

I have never tried to reinstall an OS with all the files.

In the future i recommend backing up your OS or using a sandbox program like Oracle VM VirtualBox - http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/server-storage/virtua... :)  I'd pick a Virtual program over physically installing an OS, if you screw something up your current OS is still in perfect working condition.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 16, 2012 2:35:22 AM

you cannot 'downgrade' to win7, you will have to format your system and re-install everything.
Save all of your data (not programs) somewhere other than on your system drive, boot from your win7 DVD, and reinstall windows. You will then have to move your files back onto your system drive, and reinstall all software that you use.

I am curious about what software does not work under win8. I have some pretty odd software, and all of it worked fine after the upgrade (and all of the hardware drivers were back in place).

Be more careful about testing software in the future. It can be fun, but issues like this are normal for prerelease software, so always be careful about what you do with it.
Also, are you using win8 Customer Preview or win8 RTM?
m
l
October 23, 2012 3:34:57 AM

CaedenV said:
you cannot 'downgrade' to win7, you will have to format your system and re-install everything.
Save all of your data (not programs) somewhere other than on your system drive, boot from your win7 DVD, and reinstall windows. You will then have to move your files back onto your system drive, and reinstall all software that you use.

I am curious about what software does not work under win8. I have some pretty odd software, and all of it worked fine after the upgrade (and all of the hardware drivers were back in place).

Be more careful about testing software in the future. It can be fun, but issues like this are normal for prerelease software, so always be careful about what you do with it.
Also, are you using win8 Customer Preview or win8 RTM?

Appreciate your answer. Windows has always been upgraded with what I think of as a fairly constant look and mapping of the software but 8 took me by surprise. I am using the "Preview". Have had it for a few weeks and still learning the configuration of it all. I did upgrade some drivers that have the older software running. That, again was good advice for a novice.

Everyone here have been great with your answers and I appreciate them all. Now, if someone could figure a way to slip Freecell, Solitaire and the rest of the "old" games back into 8 I will live with it from now on and not complain.

Again, thanks to everyone.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 24, 2012 12:09:10 AM

well... there is a MS Solitare app which has freecell, and solitaire in it (as well as TriPeaks! Woot!), otherwise you would have to do a bit of reg hacking and copying files over from an older machine to make it work... which is perhaps too complicated for wasting time on something there are dozons of online replacements for.

Win8CP was pretty rough, especially on keyboard and mouse, thankfully they fixed most of the keyboard and mouse feel in the RP (release preview) version that came out over the summer.

In the future, watch some videos of the use of a piece of software before you use it. It will get you an idea of if it is somehting you want to play with.
m
l
Related resources
!