What's the response to/interest in this latest patch?

I was just wondering if the interest is any more than what it seems to be
based on the traffic here. From what I can tell, after a very brief flurry
it doesn't seem to have generated much new interest at all, and has mayhap
even killed it a bit.

Maybe that was the intent? :-)
--
chainbreaker
28 answers Last reply

    "~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahoot.co.nz> wrote...
> [...]
    > Not the case now.
    >
    > There's something to be said for starting off poor again, once the shock
    > wears off. Although this concerns the reset more than the patch. To get
    > excited again when a gold ammy drops instead of having several Highlord's,
    > Seraph's and Mara's on mules, is a great leveler and a big incentive to
    > play more. Before the reset, if I wanted to start a new character, I'd
    > just look at what was on my mules and decide his stats allocation from
    > there. I already had eth Obedience
    > threshers/Reaper's/Hone's/Bonehew's/shaftstop/upped shaft/Duriels/upped
    > and Vamp/Tal's/Andy's etc for the merc and virtually all the gear I could
    > want for the character. It's actually fun ID-ing all rares again and
    > actually using some of them for quite a while.
    >
    > When a Bonehew dropped last night, my necro's merc (lvl 78) was finally
    > able to kill things in hell everytime I needed to start a new army instead
    > of me having to res him sometimes before I could even get my skellys
    > going. Before the reset I had all the twink sticks lined up for him as he
    > grew. Bloodthief, Battlebranch, Blackleach Blade (all eth) and then on to
    > an eth Obedience thresher at level 53, swapping hats to get LL from there
    > instead of on-weapon. For other characters the mercs could choose from an
    > eth Tomb Reaver, several Reaper's, Hone Sundan, Upped Hone Sundan,
    > Bonehew. Anyway, you get the picture. :-) Strangely, it's good to be poor
    > again. It's a great incentive to get out there and get the items on the
    > mules. If only I was as dilligent IRL. :-(
    >
    > If AGD wasn't infested with all the crossdressing, crossposting race-hate
    > freaks on usenet at the moment then I'm sure there'd be more traffic there
    > indicating the fact. As it is I'm re-adding people to my friends list who
    > I haven't seen for a long time.
    >
    >> Maybe that was the intent? :-)
    >
    > Could be. Well, not the patch itself but the server-side lag that has been
    > evident ever since it was released. Unless that was an intended result of
    > the patch.
    >
    > **** This is taken as absolute in the other group. That the servers are
    > now lagging badly. People who used to tele everywhere easilly are now
    > having major slow-down's even when the council spam hydra's. Going through
    > portals/WPs are causing some peeps to have up to 10 seconds inactivity.
    > I've been dropped on occasion going from one act to another. All the
    > people I've talked to are playing US West though. Can people from other
    > realms please tell me if it's the case elsewhere? I'd like to know if it's
    > the patch (and maybe the 4 new .dll's, checking with the server, on your
    > machine, there to attempt to stop piracy) or if it's simply the US West
    > server farm overloaded. More bandwidth/processing power being moved to WoW
    > maybe. Ping times stay good but the game itself lags, no response for
    > several seconds, monsters start teleporting etc. Thanks in advance for

    From my standpoint on USEast, it's the same. Lag is terrible. The release
    of the patch and the reset did little to allay the problem, it seems. I
    can't see how anyone could play HC on the realms as they are now. It's
    frustrating enough just playing SC and waiting for the server to respond.

    chainbreaker wrote:

    > I was just wondering if the interest is any more than what it seems to be
    > based on the traffic here. From what I can tell, after a very brief flurry
    > it doesn't seem to have generated much new interest at all, and has mayhap
    > even killed it a bit.
    >
    > Maybe that was the intent? :-)

    Such cynicism. :P

    Frankly, I'm not impressed at all. The one thing of note that I like is
    now mercs level faster, but even that wasn't that big a deal. Some new
    runewords? Blah. Those three uber thingies are nice for the more
    serious players, but I'm more interested in things that'll help me get
    though the game, like fixing the damn FE bug in NM already, as my barb
    is now having to deal with. He recently discovered the "joy" of FE
    lightning bolts. He was fighting a minion of that Beetleburst unique
    Death Beetle dude in the Far Oasis. Now despite max lighting resists
    those bolts even the regular ones emit hurt him anyway, so I stunned
    the minion and started hacking away. 1.3K HPs gone in a second. WTF?
    Run away, let the Rogue kill the thing. Search out Beetleburst, who
    turns out to be FE. Now I'm not entirely sure what exactly happened but
    I have never seen my barb's life go down that fast. Since he started NM
    every battle with an FE boss has been a hilarious dance of Taunting the
    minions to him and killing them then running or Leaping around the boss
    trying to keep its attention on my barb, while also staying far away,
    so the Rogue can kill it. Of course what usually ends up happening is
    that she gets the snot kicked out of her, yet kills the thing anyway.

    Perhaps what also could have been fixed is the "bug" or whatever that
    happens when a nec with large Revives (Urdars, etc.) go down some
    stairs and all the minions stay bunched together for a time, leaving
    the nec pretty much helpless, while he waits for them to become
    untangled. Oh, but they fixed the Marrowwalk feature. Yeah, thanks.

    Of course there is also this new "lag". Now, in 1.10 I lagged all the
    time, but what would happen is that everything on the screen would
    freeze, skellies would walk in place, etc., then I'd get the "you have
    been disconnected" message. With my nec it was annoying as he would
    have to summon his skellies again, but it was still fairly safe as I
    was never missing any HPs when I rejoined, indicating that the monsters
    had frozen as well. This 1.11 "lag" is another animal entirely.
    Yesterday my barb was in the Canyon, took a few steps and was
    confronted by Hell Slingers and Death Beetles. Since the Beetleburst
    incident he's very careful around those guys and I couldn't see if any
    of them were minions of perhaps an FE boss, so he ran back toward the
    WP to try to Taunt them one by one. The entire right side of my screen
    was black. A Death Beetle approached, he howled, no effect. I hear my
    Rogue make a shooting noise, but nothing happened. So you're lagging,
    but some actions in the game seem to be occuring at the same time,
    unlike my 1.10 lag when everything froze. Monsters that are across the
    screen "teleport" right beside you. Something four inches away on your
    screen can hit you. On my way to Durry yesterday my barb was fighting
    some Urdar pack, or whatever they're called in Act II. There were five
    of them, all stunned, and they changed position no less than four
    times. The stunned one on the top disappeared, and one appeared on the
    bottom where there hadn't been one previously, etc.

    And perhaps this is just me, but it seems like the drops are just
    horrible. My barb visits all side areas, does places over and over, and
    he has found exactly one life charm (he's in NM Act III). Until he made
    a Rhyme shield for the desperately needed CBF mod in NM Act II, he was
    still using the one that Normal Bloodraven dropped him; he hadn't found
    or gambled anything better. Someone asked me yesterday what his Life
    Leech was and I had to laugh. Haven't so much as seen that particular
    mod on anything dropped/gambled, except for the 2-3% LL on blue rings,
    but such a low amount doesn't help much when you're not dealing that
    much damage yet.

    Real interesting, this playing in 1.11.

    I still love the game of course, despite the essay I just wrote. :-)
    But this new lag needs to be given the ol' heave-ho.

    Jill

    Long ago, in the world without shrimp, "chainbreaker" <noone@nowhere.com>,
    supreme ruler of bunnies, hopped and flopped and said:

    >I was just wondering if the interest is any more than what it seems to be
    >based on the traffic here. From what I can tell, after a very brief flurry
    >it doesn't seem to have generated much new interest at all, and has mayhap
    >even killed it a bit.

    >Maybe that was the intent? :-)

    Well, the patch/reset is certainly bringing me close to finally putting an end
    to online play. It's just becoming far too aggravating to not only put up
    with POS internet connectivity, but also the rapid decline of the quality of
    battle.net itself. Hell, I'm not even talking about HC here... playing SC
    has become a real struggle for me now.

    My last gasp effort is probably going to be a summoning necromancer, and for
    those that know of my general disinteret in necromancers, probably speaks
    volumes for just how bad things have gotten.

    Brian Brunner wrote:

    > Jill, SvH, have you looked at Chaos Empire?

    Yes, I played SP CE from March to about 6 or 7 weeks ago. Got 2 chars
    through the game, including a clvl 99 barb who never died once. Then,
    for some reason, I lost interest and actually wasn't playing LoD at
    all, save for a weekly online "goof-off" game with a friend, until 1.11
    came out.

    Jill

    neithskye wrote:
    > chainbreaker wrote:
    >
    >> I was just wondering if the interest is any more than what it seems
    >> to be based on the traffic here. From what I can tell, after a very
    >> brief flurry it doesn't seem to have generated much new interest at
    >> all, and has mayhap even killed it a bit.
    >>
    >> Maybe that was the intent? :-)
    >
    > Such cynicism. :P

    I think it's a corollary of becoming an old bastard. :-)

    > Monsters that are across the screen "teleport" right beside you.

    Hmm, that sounds like an old bug that was fixed once is now back again.
    --
    chainbreaker

    On 21 Aug 2005 10:48:26 -0700, "neithskye"
    <jill_bookerGREENEGGSANDSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >> chainbreaker wrote:
    >>
    >> > I was just wondering if the interest is any more than what it seems to be
    >> > based on the traffic here. From what I can tell, after a very brief flurry
    >> > it doesn't seem to have generated much new interest at all, and has mayhap
    >> > even killed it a bit.
    >> >
    >> > Maybe that was the intent? :-)
    >>
    >> Such cynicism. :P
    >>
    >> Frankly, I'm not impressed at all.

    Jill, SvH, have you looked at Chaos Empire?

    --

    Chaos Empire mod: Webwalker
    USEast HC Ladder: Rockstomper

    Brian Brunner wrote:

    > Jill, SvH, have you looked at Chaos Empire?

    I actually played an assy in it all the way through Normal. I finally quit
    about 2/3 through A1 NM when the "naked assy" mod finally made the game too
    unstable to use--which happened at about the same time I decided that even
    though the game has lots and lots of great "stuff", its way too easy to come
    by to mean anything. Plus, the mod swings wildly from being way way too
    easy to way way too difficult.

    --
    chainbreaker

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Pre-1.10 I was playing HC exclusively. Since the patch I thought I'd get the
    > feel of any differences in SC before I play HC. If things don't change I'm
    > *not* going to be playing HC at all. I could just give up realm-play and
    > play HC single-player but if that was Blizzards intention I don't want to
    > give them the satisfaction. That and I'd miss interacting with others. I
    > don't get out much. :-)
    >
    > Cheers,

    Hi misfit

    As a log time lurker here I've played exclusively HC ladder and
    non-ladder on US West for a year or three now and since the 1.11 patch
    came out I believe my skellimancer is living on borrowed time :-(
    I'm a kiwi player as well, gave up on the Asian realms many moons ago.
    I mean I used to get the odd bad lag prior to this patch but not on a
    24/7 basis like we seem to have now.

    "Coolwright" wrote...
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >

    >> Pre-1.10 I was playing HC exclusively. Since the patch I thought I'd get
    >> the feel of any differences in SC before I play HC. If things don't
    >> change I'm *not* going to be playing HC at all. I could just give up
    >> realm-play and play HC single-player but if that was Blizzards intention
    >> I don't want to give them the satisfaction. That and I'd miss interacting
    >> with others. I don't get out much. :-)
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >
    > Hi misfit
    >
    > As a log time lurker here I've played exclusively HC ladder and non-ladder
    > on US West for a year or three now and since the 1.11 patch came out I
    > believe my skellimancer is living on borrowed time :-(
    > I'm a kiwi player as well, gave up on the Asian realms many moons ago.
    > I mean I used to get the odd bad lag prior to this patch but not on a 24/7
    > basis like we seem to have now.

    I just played on USEast, and there was no lag this time. I played for about
    an hour. I wonder if this bodes well for the future.

    Coolwright wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >

    >> Pre-1.10 I was playing HC exclusively. Since the patch I thought I'd
    >> get the feel of any differences in SC before I play HC. If things
    >> don't change I'm *not* going to be playing HC at all. I could just
    >> give up realm-play and play HC single-player but if that was
    >> Blizzards intention I don't want to give them the satisfaction. That
    >> and I'd miss interacting with others. I don't get out much. :-)
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >
    > Hi misfit
    >
    > As a log time lurker here I've played exclusively HC ladder and
    > non-ladder on US West for a year or three now and since the 1.11 patch
    > came out I believe my skellimancer is living on borrowed time :-(
    > I'm a kiwi player as well, gave up on the Asian realms many moons ago.
    > I mean I used to get the odd bad lag prior to this patch but not on a
    > 24/7 basis like we seem to have now.

    Hey Coolwright, nice to meet ya.

    Yeah, it's nasty/laggy alright. Orion Ryder, a friend who posts in AGD (and
    here?) who I used to play HC with last ladder has lost a few characters
    already. Us NZ'ers are already handicapped by NZ Telecom without Blizzard's
    server-lag adding to it. I'm pretty sure I'm staying with SC until they fix
    it. (Hopefully they fix it).

    Hey, I have a rather nice Azurewrath (265% ED) I found in HC last ladder
    that I didn't get to use. Is it any use to you before I delete my non-ladder
    accounts? I only play on ladder. Also an Homonculous, Leoric's, a few other
    things. Nothing Uber, other than the Azure.

    Cheers,
    --
    ~misfit~ (*nzmisfit SC ladder US W)

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    >>As a log time lurker here I've played exclusively HC ladder and
    >>non-ladder on US West for a year or three now and since the 1.11 patch
    >>came out I believe my skellimancer is living on borrowed time :-(
    >>I'm a kiwi player as well, gave up on the Asian realms many moons ago.
    >>I mean I used to get the odd bad lag prior to this patch but not on a
    >>24/7 basis like we seem to have now.
    >

    > Hey Coolwright, nice to meet ya.
    >
    > Yeah, it's nasty/laggy alright. Orion Ryder, a friend who posts in AGD (and
    > here?) who I used to play HC with last ladder has lost a few characters
    > already. Us NZ'ers are already handicapped by NZ Telecom without Blizzard's
    > server-lag adding to it. I'm pretty sure I'm staying with SC until they fix
    > it. (Hopefully they fix it).
    >
    > Hey, I have a rather nice Azurewrath (265% ED) I found in HC last ladder
    > that I didn't get to use. Is it any use to you before I delete my non-ladder
    > accounts? I only play on ladder. Also an Homonculous, Leoric's, a few other
    > things. Nothing Uber, other than the Azure.
    >
    > Cheers,

    The only char worthy of note in my HC non-ladder stable is my trusty old
    lvl76 Skellimancer and IIRC Azurewrath is only useable from lvl85 or
    so (?)

    The Homonculous sounds interesting though - anything to help old bony :-)

    Prior to joining this NG, I could never break the clvl 30 barrier for
    almost any build/char you care to mention. I don't consider myself an
    expert but have certainly learned a lot just by being an interested
    observer. I swore I would never make another pally but the ladder reset
    sparked me up again to release Coolwright_IV into the wild :-)

    If you want to flick off some bits before deleting your non-ladder a/c's
    maybe I can scoop them up. What times are you on?

    Regs

    neithskye wrote:
    > chainbreaker wrote:
    >
    > > I was just wondering if the interest is any more than what it seems to be
    > > based on the traffic here. From what I can tell, after a very brief flurry
    > > it doesn't seem to have generated much new interest at all, and has mayhap
    > > even killed it a bit.
    > >
    > > Maybe that was the intent? :-)
    >
    > Such cynicism. :P

    <snips>

    > Frankly, I'm not impressed at all.
    > I still love the game of course, despite the essay I just wrote. :-)
    > But this new lag needs to be given the ol' heave-ho.
    >
    > Jill

    Well, I think the lag has more to do with the ladder reset than the
    Patch.
    I missed the first 4 days of the new ladder, but when I got to playing,
    the lag was there and it hadn't been in the week between the patch and
    the reset.

    But what exactly is causing the lag? Were servers removed or are more
    people playing (or botting)?

    --
    Ashen Shugar

    Brian Kastel wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahoot.co.nz> wrote...
    > > Brian Kastel wrote:
    > >> "Coolwright" wrote...

    > >> I just played on USEast, and there was no lag this time. I played
    > >> for about an hour. I wonder if this bodes well for the future.
    > >
    > > I certainly hope so. However I've had periods of no lag. We need a bigger
    > > statistical sample than 'about one hour' for it to be significant. Maybe
    > > several hours a day over a few days? Get playing please Brian, just ignore
    > > real life for a while, it'll still be there when you stop playing. :-)
    >
    > Okay! :-D

    I thought that the lag was due to map hack, botting and duping. That's
    not the case now is it?

    chainbreaker wrote:
    > Brian Brunner wrote:

    > > I will conclude from this that you didn't do *normal* dungeon, let
    > > alone Hell dungeon.

    > Did I miss something somewhere?

    Once you kill Nihlathak in any difficulty, an entrance opens up to the
    "dungeons", 17 levels of pure joy.

    They're a great place to level, and a good place to find uber uniques
    in Hell (supposedly), but what I found annoying was that there is no WP
    or any way to save your game on any of the levels, unless something was
    changed since 7.55 which was the last version I played. So if you have
    to leave for any reason you pause the game. Power outage while you were
    at work? Oh, well. There goes all your progress.

    My barb suffered some sort of game crash on level 9 of the Hell
    Dungeons. I heard the "plinking" noise of a message being displayed on
    my Desktop, knew what was happening, and thought, "Nooooooo . . .".
    Needless to say, I was royally peeved. In order to get back to where he
    was I'd have to kill Nilly all over again then slog through 8 levels of
    dungeons again, which I was not so inclined to do.

    Jill

    On Sun, 21 Aug 2005, "chainbreaker" wrote:

    >> Brian Brunner wrote:
    >> >
    >> > Jill, SvH, have you looked at Chaos Empire?
    >>
    >> I actually played an assy in it all the way through Normal. I finally quit
    >> about 2/3 through A1 NM when the "naked assy" mod finally made the game too
    >> unstable to use--

    I don't see the point in watching pink pixels instead of brown or black
    ones... there isn't enough visual data to make it worth a bother, and
    I've a hard time with "immersion" when virtual people storm into the
    wild wilderness full of armed hostiles with their tenderest anatomical
    features exposed to everything. If the "nude Barbarian" feature makes
    the game less stable, remove it.

    >> its way too easy to come by to mean anything.

    I will conclude from this that you didn't do *normal* dungeon, let alone
    Hell dungeon.

    >> Plus, the mod swings wildly from being way way too
    >> easy to way way too difficult.

    hmmm... what's that mean?

    --

    Brian Brunner wrote:

    >>> I actually played an assy in it all the way through Normal. I
    >>> finally quit about 2/3 through A1 NM when the "naked assy" mod
    >>> finally made the game too unstable to use--
    >
    > I don't see the point in watching pink pixels instead of brown or
    > black ones... there isn't enough visual data to make it worth a
    > bother, and I've a hard time with "immersion" when virtual people
    > storm into the wild wilderness full of armed hostiles with their
    > tenderest anatomical features exposed to everything. If the "nude
    > Barbarian" feature makes the game less stable, remove it.

    Aw, come on now, get a sense of humor here! :-)

    >>> its way too easy to come by to mean anything.
    >
    > I will conclude from this that you didn't do *normal* dungeon, let
    > alone Hell dungeon.

    Did I miss something somewhere? I did everything on Normal level I could
    find. AFAIK I didn't bypass anything--I went in every dungeon I could find
    in every Act, unless there's some kind of "special" dungeon somewhere.

    I beat Baal on normal and did the 7 deadly sins thingie and beat all those
    guys except for the Chimaera--probably could have done that too, eventually,
    but as far as I'm concerned stuff like that is neither fun nor challenging,
    simply boring. And I did all the A5 "extra" dungeons like Abaddon, and the
    ones in the caves, too. Oh, I didn't do the cow level though, but I did
    beat the guy I think I'd read about somewhere that's supposed to drop some
    kind of key to open it up--can't remember his name, but I guess he was some
    kind of boss from the original Diablo. Didn't get a key from him, though.

    >>> Plus, the mod swings wildly from being way way too
    >>> easy to way way too difficult.
    >
    > hmmm... what's that mean?

    Well, I take that back--I went back and looked at my character and realized
    that at the point I quit playing in NM I had something like 150 or so stat
    and around 35 skill points I hadn't used. So I can't really imagine what
    kind of difficulty I'd have faced had I used all those points I had
    available. It would have been even easier I suppose, except for the
    occasional ringers thrown in like The Butcher and Leoric--but that kind of
    stuff only provides chintz, not challenge. And before you ask, no, I never
    fought either one. So since I never succumbed to the tempation of an
    impossible challenge, my assy finished Normal without ever dying.

    Don't get me wrong. I think CE is a highly entertaining and well done
    mod--it's just not something to take the place of the "real" D2, and it just
    wasn't something to hold my interest very long, mostly because you can get
    too much way too easily. Of course at this point, the "real" D2 isn't
    something to take the place of the real D2 either, the "real" D2 in my mind
    being the 1.09 game.

    --
    chainbreaker

    On Mon, 22 Aug 2005, "~misfit~" wrote:

    >> Brian Brunner wrote:

    >> > Jill, SvH, have you looked at Chaos Empire?
    >>
    >> Oy! No poaching of realms players please! Our community needs all the
    >> members it can get. <g>

    Is frying OK if I agree not to poach?

    --

    Chaos Empire mod: Webwalker
    USEast HC Ladder: Rockstomper

    After a bit of looking and asking around, it's looking like my
    housemates managed to do something to my computer while I was off
    skiing. Or else when I was trying to clean off all the trojans that I
    noticed upon my return I did something. Either way, it's getting
    formated again this evening, after only about 1.5 months since the last
    format and the housemates aren't getting an account on it. I'll let
    them have xp's guest account, but I'll tell em it's only for logging in
    so that the internet sharing starts to work and they can do everything
    else from their laptop.
    If that doesn't mix my problems, I'll have to get into hardware fixes.
    While the network card I put into the computer so they could share the
    internet connection didn't create any trouble when I first put it in,
    it was an old card from a swap meet, so maybe it's worn out already
    and is intereferring with the rest of the network? *shrug*

    Hopefully the format will fix things and I can get onto building
    characters for key hunting and uber killing.

    Though I do have 3 keys of Terror already.

    Anyway, best get back to work.

    --
    Ashen Shugar

    chainbreaker wrote:

    > Ah well, I must have missed that. I killed the conniving, backstabbing SOB
    > but somehow missed the entrance you're talking about, I guess. Does the
    > entrance open up where Nilly is right then after you kill him?

    It opens up on the little "platform" he stands on. I'm not surprised
    you missed it. If I hadn't have had prior knowledge I would have just
    killed Nilly and gotten the hell out of there.

    > I can't go
    > back and look for it now because I finally broke down and logged on Bnet to
    > update my old characters, so now I'm patched to 1.11. Hmm . . . unless
    > there's some way to transfer my saved CE games to my other computer, cause
    > I'm sure not starting over again just to find it. Or maybe they'll patch CE
    > to the 1.11 patch.

    I'm not sure that they will. IIRC, another thread mentioned that that
    would require too much coding, and that 1.11 was not impressive enough
    to merit such work. Shame, really. I didn't realize 1.11 rendered CE
    unusable until I had downloaded the patch. I didn't play much anyway,
    but it was fun to take my barb out sometimes, especially since I had
    just transformed him into The Butcher using a morph ammy.

    > And I just remembered that the guy I killed whose name I couldn't remember
    > was Damien--can't remember where it was I found him, though.

    He's located in the Swampy Pit, usually near the Flayer Jungle WP.

    FWIW, I agree with your assessment that stuff is obtained a little too
    easily. I believe it is what burned me out on the mod. After I received
    my 23rd blue short war bow in the Hell Dungeons as a drop reward with
    800 MF, with flying witches and Lava Maws that could take out 14K HPs
    in the blink of an eye, I started wondering why I was risking my barb's
    life down there, even in SC, when I could just sell a Tome of TP and
    gamble in the safety of town, and eventually obtain what I was looking
    for anyway. Unless that's not quite what you meant.

    Jill

    neithskye wrote:
    > chainbreaker wrote:
    >> Brian Brunner wrote:
    >
    >>> I will conclude from this that you didn't do *normal* dungeon, let
    >>> alone Hell dungeon.
    >
    >> Did I miss something somewhere?
    >
    > Once you kill Nihlathak in any difficulty, an entrance opens up to the
    > "dungeons", 17 levels of pure joy.

    Ah well, I must have missed that. I killed the conniving, backstabbing SOB
    but somehow missed the entrance you're talking about, I guess. Does the
    entrance open up where Nilly is right then after you kill him? I can't go
    back and look for it now because I finally broke down and logged on Bnet to
    update my old characters, so now I'm patched to 1.11. Hmm . . . unless
    there's some way to transfer my saved CE games to my other computer, cause
    I'm sure not starting over again just to find it. Or maybe they'll patch CE
    to the 1.11 patch.

    And I just remembered that the guy I killed whose name I couldn't remember
    was Damien--can't remember where it was I found him, though.

    --
    chainbreaker

    Long ago, in the world without shrimp, Brian Brunner
    <brian.brunner@verizon.net.prophet>, supreme ruler of bunnies, hopped and
    flopped and said:

    >Jill, SvH, have you looked at Chaos Empire?

    Yes, I did, and didn't like some aspects of it. The real showstopper now is
    that it doesn't run under 1.11, of course.

    Long ago, in the world without shrimp, "Ashen Shugar"
    <deathsabyss@yahoo.com.au>, supreme ruler of bunnies, hopped and flopped and
    said:

    >Well, I think the lag has more to do with the ladder reset than the
    >Patch.
    >I missed the first 4 days of the new ladder, but when I got to playing,
    >the lag was there and it hadn't been in the week between the patch and
    >the reset.

    I noticed an ever increasing amount of lag spikes and dropped games in the few
    weeks leading up to the patch, and it's even worse now. In light of this,
    combined with the usual ISP lag, and the fact that I lose my connection
    multiple times a play session, I've switched to "lag resistant" characters.
    The sorceress is now confined to nightmare running for now. The summoning
    necromancer is now in act 5 nightmare, as is the paladin, and I'll be starting
    a concentrate barbarian soon.

    >But what exactly is causing the lag? Were servers removed or are more
    >people playing (or botting)?

    Certain games seem to be lag-free (relatively speaking), so my theory is that
    some of their game servers are simply ailing in some fashion.

    neithskye wrote:
    > He's located in the Swampy Pit, usually near the Flayer Jungle WP.

    Yep, now that you remind me, I remember. Natch, hehe.

    > FWIW, I agree with your assessment that stuff is obtained a little too
    > easily. I believe it is what burned me out on the mod. After I
    > received my 23rd blue short war bow in the Hell Dungeons as a drop
    > reward with 800 MF, with flying witches and Lava Maws that could take
    > out 14K HPs in the blink of an eye, I started wondering why I was
    > risking my barb's life down there, even in SC, when I could just sell
    > a Tome of TP and gamble in the safety of town, and eventually obtain
    > what I was looking for anyway. Unless that's not quite what you meant.
    >
    > Jill

    Yep, Jill, right on the old button. I picked up just a bit of magic find
    about halfway through the game and set/unique items started dropping like
    crazy, but they're hidden in so much other junk that it's a real PITA to
    even look for them. But there's no real reason to even do it, because like
    you say, just sell a few tomes or pots and gamble for about anything you
    want. Of course, you can play by limiting yourself in some fashion, which
    is what I did by not using anywhere near as many stat/skill points as I had
    available, but ultimately, a game where you have to work to make it
    challenging/interesting isn't going to keep my attention very long. And
    like I've said before, throwing in those "ringers" like The Butcher, Leoric,
    et.al. doesn't serve as a challenge IMO--it's just something . . . silly.

    --
    chainbreaker

    chainbreaker wrote:

    > I picked up just a bit of magic find
    > about halfway through the game and set/unique items started dropping like
    > crazy, but they're hidden in so much other junk that it's a real PITA to
    > even look for them.

    My barb had two dual-Isted Ali Babas on switch. Running Hell Cows was
    interesting. They come in such large groups that after I horked them
    all, I'd have to run around and around in circles with my finger on the
    Alt key just to see what had dropped, and even then I'm not sure I saw
    everything.

    > And
    > like I've said before, throwing in those "ringers" like The Butcher, Leoric,
    > et.al. doesn't serve as a challenge IMO--it's just something . . . silly.

    The word I believe I would use is "unfair", actually. My bowazon, my
    first char, had the misfortune of running into The Butcher in Act I
    Normal. One-hit killed. I had been on the look-out for closed doors to
    avoid him, but something opened his door because out he charged. A
    challenge to me is something that, using the correct skills, strategy,
    and persevering, you can overcome it. Not a chance with this dude.
    Unless being killed while trying to run away and open a TP is a
    "strategy".

    neithskye wrote:

    >> And
    >> like I've said before, throwing in those "ringers" like The Butcher,
    >> Leoric, et.al. doesn't serve as a challenge IMO--it's just something
    >> . . . silly.
    >
    > The word I believe I would use is "unfair", actually. My bowazon, my
    > first char, had the misfortune of running into The Butcher in Act I
    > Normal. One-hit killed. I had been on the look-out for closed doors to
    > avoid him, but something opened his door because out he charged. A
    > challenge to me is something that, using the correct skills, strategy,
    > and persevering, you can overcome it. Not a chance with this dude.
    > Unless being killed while trying to run away and open a TP is a
    > "strategy".

    Yep, for sure. Heh, maybe an even better word than "unfair" for something
    like this is simply "bullshit".

    Heck, I even beat Diablo in Normal once in the 1.09 game with an untwinked
    sort of hybrid (at that time) level 22ish zon. As I recall she wasn't
    equipped with a single unique and only three or so rares. That, and beating
    Hell Baal with my untwinked 1.10 Barb in the first ladder season are what I
    consider my top achievements in the game. Both situations provided hefty
    challenges within normal game paramaters without resorting to a "chintz"
    factor like throwing in a completely over the top Butcher.

    I'm afraid this latest patch though, at least at the highest levels, has
    lost a bit of its heritage for something like that chintz, and I think maybe
    the best thing the hacks that are left could do is simply leave the great
    game those folks created who are no longer there, alone. Heck, I even think
    I'd like to see a rollback to the 1.09 game, or maybe the 1.09 game with
    maybe some or most of the new 1.10 uniques and none almost none of the 1.10
    runewords, which IMO very nearly ruined the game.

    --
    chainbreaker

    chainbreaker wrote:
    > neithskye wrote:

    > > The word I believe I would use is "unfair", actually.

    > Yep, for sure. Heh, maybe an even better word than "unfair" for something
    > like this is simply "bullshit".

    LOL! And LOL!

    > . . . beating Hell Baal with my untwinked 1.10 Barb in the first ladder
    > season are what I consider my top achievements in the game.

    I remember, especially since now I'm playing my own Barb untwinked.

    I'm very interested in how you played your Barb, and what skills and
    equipment you used. If you have time, perhaps I could e-mail you.

    > I'm afraid this latest patch though, at least at the highest levels, has
    > lost a bit of its heritage for something like that chintz, and I think maybe
    > the best thing the hacks that are left could do is simply leave the great
    > game those folks created who are no longer there, alone. Heck, I even think
    > I'd like to see a rollback to the 1.09 game, or maybe the 1.09 game with
    > maybe some or most of the new 1.10 uniques and none almost none of the 1.10
    > runewords, which IMO very nearly ruined the game.

    I didn't discover Diablo 2, then LoD, until January or so of 2004. The
    computer I had at the time could not support LoD, so I played D2 until
    I got a new computer in April 2004, at which point I installed LoD
    1.10. As such, I went from D2C 1.06 to LoD 1.10, and never played
    version 1.09. I'm sorry I missed it.

    Jill

    neithskye wrote:
    > chainbreaker wrote:
    >> neithskye wrote:
    >
    >>> The word I believe I would use is "unfair", actually.
    >
    >> Yep, for sure. Heh, maybe an even better word than "unfair" for
    >> something like this is simply "bullshit".
    >
    > LOL! And LOL!
    >
    >> . . . beating Hell Baal with my untwinked 1.10 Barb in the first
    >> ladder season are what I consider my top achievements in the game.
    >
    > I remember, especially since now I'm playing my own Barb untwinked.
    >
    > I'm very interested in how you played your Barb, and what skills and
    > equipment you used. If you have time, perhaps I could e-mail you.

    NP at all, Jill--any time. But how I played that guy was pretty simple. At
    that time, nobody had any experience at all with 1.10 except with the
    1.10beta, where the game was a real killer. Everything, and I mean
    everything was pumped and on fast forward. Sooo, just about everybody,
    including me, went through that first iteration of NormalNMHell, pretty much
    like treading on eggs and scared to death. I'd pretty much decided from the
    beta that WW, my previous attack of choice was going to be unplayable with
    basic gear, so that barb was a basic vanilla Concentrate Barb who went
    through the game mostly using best available. He'd swap mace/sword/axe in
    keeping with that philosophy, and as I recall, he played a big part of the
    Hell game using a Rhyme shield since he'd been lucky enough to find both the
    runes and shield to make it. That was by far his best item for a long time.

    I remember he finally found one of those werewolf--skilled barb hats and the
    only thing that gave him a chance against Baal was the Gimmershred he lucked
    upon somewhere fairly late in A5. I can't remember anything else much
    except he hoarded anything and everything with +resists and damage
    reduction--heh, what little of that he found. And yes, using Concentrate
    almost exclusively it was pretty slooow going. His battle with Baal took
    the better part of 3 hours. I hadn't thought much of going through the game
    with the old boy untwinked like that until I lost 3-4 barbs in NM/early Hell
    before finally getting one all the way through the game the *next* ladder
    season, heh, after which I finally decided that I'd done ok.

    >> I'm afraid this latest patch though, at least at the highest levels,
    >> has lost a bit of its heritage for something like that chintz, and I
    >> think maybe the best thing the hacks that are left could do is
    >> simply leave the great game those folks created who are no longer
    >> there, alone. Heck, I even think I'd like to see a rollback to the
    >> 1.09 game, or maybe the 1.09 game with maybe some or most of the new
    >> 1.10 uniques and none almost none of the 1.10 runewords, which IMO
    >> very nearly ruined the game.
    >
    > I didn't discover Diablo 2, then LoD, until January or so of 2004. The
    > computer I had at the time could not support LoD, so I played D2 until
    > I got a new computer in April 2004, at which point I installed LoD
    > 1.10. As such, I went from D2C 1.06 to LoD 1.10, and never played
    > version 1.09. I'm sorry I missed it.
    >
    > Jill

    If it hadn't been for all the SOJ duping during 1.09 it would have been
    about perfect. Even so, there was demand for just about any decent item and
    you could trade about any decent item for them pretty much all the way
    through--at least until the influx of "Ist" items and other duped/hacked BS
    like that. Entirely unlike the 1.10 game where nobody was interested in
    anything but runes and the way overpowered runeword items. Bah.

    --
    chainbreaker

Games Video Games