What's the response to/interest in this latest patch?

I was just wondering if the interest is any more than what it seems to be
based on the traffic here. From what I can tell, after a very brief flurry
it doesn't seem to have generated much new interest at all, and has mayhap
even killed it a bit.

Maybe that was the intent? :)
--
chainbreaker

"~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahoot.co.nz> wrote...
> [...]
> Not the case now.
>
> There's something to be said for starting off poor again, once the shock
> wears off. Although this concerns the reset more than the patch. To get
> excited again when a gold ammy drops instead of having several Highlord's,
> Seraph's and Mara's on mules, is a great leveler and a big incentive to
> play more. Before the reset, if I wanted to start a new character, I'd
> just look at what was on my mules and decide his stats allocation from
> there. I already had eth Obedience
> threshers/Reaper's/Hone's/Bonehew's/shaftstop/upped shaft/Duriels/upped
> and Vamp/Tal's/Andy's etc for the merc and virtually all the gear I could
> want for the character. It's actually fun ID-ing all rares again and
> actually using some of them for quite a while.
>
> When a Bonehew dropped last night, my necro's merc (lvl 78) was finally
> able to kill things in hell everytime I needed to start a new army instead
> of me having to res him sometimes before I could even get my skellys
> going. Before the reset I had all the twink sticks lined up for him as he
> grew. Bloodthief, Battlebranch, Blackleach Blade (all eth) and then on to
> an eth Obedience thresher at level 53, swapping hats to get LL from there
> instead of on-weapon. For other characters the mercs could choose from an
> eth Tomb Reaver, several Reaper's, Hone Sundan, Upped Hone Sundan,
> Bonehew. Anyway, you get the picture. :) Strangely, it's good to be poor
> again. It's a great incentive to get out there and get the items on the
> mules. If only I was as dilligent IRL. :-(
>
> If AGD wasn't infested with all the crossdressing, crossposting race-hate
> freaks on usenet at the moment then I'm sure there'd be more traffic there
> indicating the fact. As it is I'm re-adding people to my friends list who
> I haven't seen for a long time.
>
>> Maybe that was the intent? :)
>
> Could be. Well, not the patch itself but the server-side lag that has been
> evident ever since it was released. Unless that was an intended result of
> the patch.
>
> **** This is taken as absolute in the other group. That the servers are
> now lagging badly. People who used to tele everywhere easilly are now
> having major slow-down's even when the council spam hydra's. Going through
> portals/WPs are causing some peeps to have up to 10 seconds inactivity.
> I've been dropped on occasion going from one act to another. All the
> people I've talked to are playing US West though. Can people from other
> realms please tell me if it's the case elsewhere? I'd like to know if it's
> the patch (and maybe the 4 new .dll's, checking with the server, on your
> machine, there to attempt to stop piracy) or if it's simply the US West
> server farm overloaded. More bandwidth/processing power being moved to WoW
> maybe. Ping times stay good but the game itself lags, no response for
> several seconds, monsters start teleporting etc. Thanks in advance for

From my standpoint on USEast, it's the same. Lag is terrible. The release
of the patch and the reset did little to allay the problem, it seems. I
can't see how anyone could play HC on the realms as they are now. It's
frustrating enough just playing SC and waiting for the server to respond.

chainbreaker wrote:

> I was just wondering if the interest is any more than what it seems to be
> based on the traffic here. From what I can tell, after a very brief flurry
> it doesn't seem to have generated much new interest at all, and has mayhap
> even killed it a bit.
>
> Maybe that was the intent? :)

Such cynicism. :p

Frankly, I'm not impressed at all. The one thing of note that I like is
now mercs level faster, but even that wasn't that big a deal. Some new
runewords? Blah. Those three uber thingies are nice for the more
serious players, but I'm more interested in things that'll help me get
though the game, like fixing the damn FE bug in NM already, as my barb
is now having to deal with. He recently discovered the "joy" of FE
lightning bolts. He was fighting a minion of that Beetleburst unique
Death Beetle dude in the Far Oasis. Now despite max lighting resists
those bolts even the regular ones emit hurt him anyway, so I stunned
the minion and started hacking away. 1.3K HPs gone in a second. WTF?
Run away, let the Rogue kill the thing. Search out Beetleburst, who
turns out to be FE. Now I'm not entirely sure what exactly happened but
I have never seen my barb's life go down that fast. Since he started NM
every battle with an FE boss has been a hilarious dance of Taunting the
minions to him and killing them then running or Leaping around the boss
trying to keep its attention on my barb, while also staying far away,
so the Rogue can kill it. Of course what usually ends up happening is
that she gets the snot kicked out of her, yet kills the thing anyway.

Perhaps what also could have been fixed is the "bug" or whatever that
happens when a nec with large Revives (Urdars, etc.) go down some
stairs and all the minions stay bunched together for a time, leaving
the nec pretty much helpless, while he waits for them to become
untangled. Oh, but they fixed the Marrowwalk feature. Yeah, thanks.

Of course there is also this new "lag". Now, in 1.10 I lagged all the
time, but what would happen is that everything on the screen would
freeze, skellies would walk in place, etc., then I'd get the "you have
been disconnected" message. With my nec it was annoying as he would
have to summon his skellies again, but it was still fairly safe as I
was never missing any HPs when I rejoined, indicating that the monsters
had frozen as well. This 1.11 "lag" is another animal entirely.
Yesterday my barb was in the Canyon, took a few steps and was
confronted by Hell Slingers and Death Beetles. Since the Beetleburst
incident he's very careful around those guys and I couldn't see if any
of them were minions of perhaps an FE boss, so he ran back toward the
WP to try to Taunt them one by one. The entire right side of my screen
was black. A Death Beetle approached, he howled, no effect. I hear my
Rogue make a shooting noise, but nothing happened. So you're lagging,
but some actions in the game seem to be occuring at the same time,
unlike my 1.10 lag when everything froze. Monsters that are across the
screen "teleport" right beside you. Something four inches away on your
screen can hit you. On my way to Durry yesterday my barb was fighting
some Urdar pack, or whatever they're called in Act II. There were five
of them, all stunned, and they changed position no less than four
times. The stunned one on the top disappeared, and one appeared on the
bottom where there hadn't been one previously, etc.

And perhaps this is just me, but it seems like the drops are just
horrible. My barb visits all side areas, does places over and over, and
he has found exactly one life charm (he's in NM Act III). Until he made
a Rhyme shield for the desperately needed CBF mod in NM Act II, he was
still using the one that Normal Bloodraven dropped him; he hadn't found
or gambled anything better. Someone asked me yesterday what his Life
Leech was and I had to laugh. Haven't so much as seen that particular
mod on anything dropped/gambled, except for the 2-3% LL on blue rings,
but such a low amount doesn't help much when you're not dealing that
much damage yet.

Real interesting, this playing in 1.11.

I still love the game of course, despite the essay I just wrote. :)
But this new lag needs to be given the ol' heave-ho.

Jill

Long ago, in the world without shrimp, "chainbreaker" <noone@nowhere.com>,
supreme ruler of bunnies, hopped and flopped and said:

>I was just wondering if the interest is any more than what it seems to be
>based on the traffic here. From what I can tell, after a very brief flurry
>it doesn't seem to have generated much new interest at all, and has mayhap
>even killed it a bit.

>Maybe that was the intent? :)

Well, the patch/reset is certainly bringing me close to finally putting an end
to online play. It's just becoming far too aggravating to not only put up
with POS internet connectivity, but also the rapid decline of the quality of
battle.net itself. Hell, I'm not even talking about HC here... playing SC
has become a real struggle for me now.

My last gasp effort is probably going to be a summoning necromancer, and for
those that know of my general disinteret in necromancers, probably speaks
volumes for just how bad things have gotten.

Brian Brunner wrote:

> Jill, SvH, have you looked at Chaos Empire?

Yes, I played SP CE from March to about 6 or 7 weeks ago. Got 2 chars
through the game, including a clvl 99 barb who never died once. Then,
for some reason, I lost interest and actually wasn't playing LoD at
all, save for a weekly online "goof-off" game with a friend, until 1.11
came out.

Jill

neithskye wrote:
> chainbreaker wrote:
>
>> I was just wondering if the interest is any more than what it seems
>> to be based on the traffic here. From what I can tell, after a very
>> brief flurry it doesn't seem to have generated much new interest at
>> all, and has mayhap even killed it a bit.
>>
>> Maybe that was the intent? :)
>
> Such cynicism. :p

I think it's a corollary of becoming an old bastard. :)

> Monsters that are across the screen "teleport" right beside you.

Hmm, that sounds like an old bug that was fixed once is now back again.
--
chainbreaker

On 21 Aug 2005 10:48:26 -0700, "neithskye"
<jill_bookerGREENEGGSANDSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> chainbreaker wrote:
>>
>> > I was just wondering if the interest is any more than what it seems to be
>> > based on the traffic here. From what I can tell, after a very brief flurry
>> > it doesn't seem to have generated much new interest at all, and has mayhap
>> > even killed it a bit.
>> >
>> > Maybe that was the intent? :)
>>
>> Such cynicism. :p
>>
>> Frankly, I'm not impressed at all.

Jill, SvH, have you looked at Chaos Empire?

--

Chaos Empire mod: Webwalker
USEast HC Ladder: Rockstomper

Brian Brunner wrote:

> Jill, SvH, have you looked at Chaos Empire?

I actually played an assy in it all the way through Normal. I finally quit
about 2/3 through A1 NM when the "naked assy" mod finally made the game too
unstable to use--which happened at about the same time I decided that even
though the game has lots and lots of great "stuff", its way too easy to come
by to mean anything. Plus, the mod swings wildly from being way way too
easy to way way too difficult.

--
chainbreaker

~misfit~ wrote:

> Pre-1.10 I was playing HC exclusively. Since the patch I thought I'd get the
> feel of any differences in SC before I play HC. If things don't change I'm
> *not* going to be playing HC at all. I could just give up realm-play and
> play HC single-player but if that was Blizzards intention I don't want to
> give them the satisfaction. That and I'd miss interacting with others. I
> don't get out much. :)
>
> Cheers,

Hi misfit

As a log time lurker here I've played exclusively HC ladder and
non-ladder on US West for a year or three now and since the 1.11 patch
came out I believe my skellimancer is living on borrowed time :-(
I'm a kiwi player as well, gave up on the Asian realms many moons ago.
I mean I used to get the odd bad lag prior to this patch but not on a
24/7 basis like we seem to have now.

"Coolwright" wrote...
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>

>> Pre-1.10 I was playing HC exclusively. Since the patch I thought I'd get
>> the feel of any differences in SC before I play HC. If things don't
>> change I'm *not* going to be playing HC at all. I could just give up
>> realm-play and play HC single-player but if that was Blizzards intention
>> I don't want to give them the satisfaction. That and I'd miss interacting
>> with others. I don't get out much. :)
>>
>> Cheers,
>
> Hi misfit
>
> As a log time lurker here I've played exclusively HC ladder and non-ladder
> on US West for a year or three now and since the 1.11 patch came out I
> believe my skellimancer is living on borrowed time :-(
> I'm a kiwi player as well, gave up on the Asian realms many moons ago.
> I mean I used to get the odd bad lag prior to this patch but not on a 24/7
> basis like we seem to have now.

I just played on USEast, and there was no lag this time. I played for about
an hour. I wonder if this bodes well for the future.

Coolwright wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>

>> Pre-1.10 I was playing HC exclusively. Since the patch I thought I'd
>> get the feel of any differences in SC before I play HC. If things
>> don't change I'm *not* going to be playing HC at all. I could just
>> give up realm-play and play HC single-player but if that was
>> Blizzards intention I don't want to give them the satisfaction. That
>> and I'd miss interacting with others. I don't get out much. :)
>>
>> Cheers,
>
> Hi misfit
>
> As a log time lurker here I've played exclusively HC ladder and
> non-ladder on US West for a year or three now and since the 1.11 patch
> came out I believe my skellimancer is living on borrowed time :-(
> I'm a kiwi player as well, gave up on the Asian realms many moons ago.
> I mean I used to get the odd bad lag prior to this patch but not on a
> 24/7 basis like we seem to have now.

Hey Coolwright, nice to meet ya.

Yeah, it's nasty/laggy alright. Orion Ryder, a friend who posts in AGD (and
here?) who I used to play HC with last ladder has lost a few characters
already. Us NZ'ers are already handicapped by NZ Telecom without Blizzard's
server-lag adding to it. I'm pretty sure I'm staying with SC until they fix
it. (Hopefully they fix it).

Hey, I have a rather nice Azurewrath (265% ED) I found in HC last ladder
that I didn't get to use. Is it any use to you before I delete my non-ladder
accounts? I only play on ladder. Also an Homonculous, Leoric's, a few other
things. Nothing Uber, other than the Azure.

Cheers,
--
~misfit~ (*nzmisfit SC ladder US W)

~misfit~ wrote:

>>As a log time lurker here I've played exclusively HC ladder and
>>non-ladder on US West for a year or three now and since the 1.11 patch
>>came out I believe my skellimancer is living on borrowed time :-(
>>I'm a kiwi player as well, gave up on the Asian realms many moons ago.
>>I mean I used to get the odd bad lag prior to this patch but not on a
>>24/7 basis like we seem to have now.
>

> Hey Coolwright, nice to meet ya.
>
> Yeah, it's nasty/laggy alright. Orion Ryder, a friend who posts in AGD (and
> here?) who I used to play HC with last ladder has lost a few characters
> already. Us NZ'ers are already handicapped by NZ Telecom without Blizzard's
> server-lag adding to it. I'm pretty sure I'm staying with SC until they fix
> it. (Hopefully they fix it).
>
> Hey, I have a rather nice Azurewrath (265% ED) I found in HC last ladder
> that I didn't get to use. Is it any use to you before I delete my non-ladder
> accounts? I only play on ladder. Also an Homonculous, Leoric's, a few other
> things. Nothing Uber, other than the Azure.
>
> Cheers,

The only char worthy of note in my HC non-ladder stable is my trusty old
lvl76 Skellimancer and IIRC Azurewrath is only useable from lvl85 or
so (?)

The Homonculous sounds interesting though - anything to help old bony :)

Prior to joining this NG, I could never break the clvl 30 barrier for
almost any build/char you care to mention. I don't consider myself an
expert but have certainly learned a lot just by being an interested
observer. I swore I would never make another pally but the ladder reset
sparked me up again to release Coolwright_IV into the wild :)

If you want to flick off some bits before deleting your non-ladder a/c's
maybe I can scoop them up. What times are you on?

Regs

neithskye wrote:
> chainbreaker wrote:
>
> > I was just wondering if the interest is any more than what it seems to be
> > based on the traffic here. From what I can tell, after a very brief flurry
> > it doesn't seem to have generated much new interest at all, and has mayhap
> > even killed it a bit.
> >
> > Maybe that was the intent? :)
>
> Such cynicism. :p

<snips>

> Frankly, I'm not impressed at all.
> I still love the game of course, despite the essay I just wrote. :)
> But this new lag needs to be given the ol' heave-ho.
>
> Jill

Well, I think the lag has more to do with the ladder reset than the
Patch.
I missed the first 4 days of the new ladder, but when I got to playing,
the lag was there and it hadn't been in the week between the patch and
the reset.

But what exactly is causing the lag? Were servers removed or are more
people playing (or botting)?

--
Ashen Shugar

RJ

Brian Kastel wrote:
> "~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahoot.co.nz> wrote...
> > Brian Kastel wrote:
> >> "Coolwright" wrote...

> >> I just played on USEast, and there was no lag this time. I played
> >> for about an hour. I wonder if this bodes well for the future.
> >
> > I certainly hope so. However I've had periods of no lag. We need a bigger
> > statistical sample than 'about one hour' for it to be significant. Maybe
> > several hours a day over a few days? Get playing please Brian, just ignore
> > real life for a while, it'll still be there when you stop playing. :)
>
> Okay! :-D

I thought that the lag was due to map hack, botting and duping. That's
not the case now is it?

chainbreaker wrote:
> Brian Brunner wrote:

> > I will conclude from this that you didn't do *normal* dungeon, let
> > alone Hell dungeon.

> Did I miss something somewhere?

Once you kill Nihlathak in any difficulty, an entrance opens up to the
"dungeons", 17 levels of pure joy.

They're a great place to level, and a good place to find uber uniques
in Hell (supposedly), but what I found annoying was that there is no WP
or any way to save your game on any of the levels, unless something was
changed since 7.55 which was the last version I played. So if you have
to leave for any reason you pause the game. Power outage while you were
at work? Oh, well. There goes all your progress.

My barb suffered some sort of game crash on level 9 of the Hell
Dungeons. I heard the "plinking" noise of a message being displayed on
my Desktop, knew what was happening, and thought, "Nooooooo . . .".
Needless to say, I was royally peeved. In order to get back to where he
was I'd have to kill Nilly all over again then slog through 8 levels of
dungeons again, which I was not so inclined to do.

Jill

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005, "chainbreaker" wrote:

>> Brian Brunner wrote:
>> >
>> > Jill, SvH, have you looked at Chaos Empire?
>>
>> I actually played an assy in it all the way through Normal. I finally quit
>> about 2/3 through A1 NM when the "naked assy" mod finally made the game too
>> unstable to use--

I don't see the point in watching pink pixels instead of brown or black
ones... there isn't enough visual data to make it worth a bother, and
I've a hard time with "immersion" when virtual people storm into the
wild wilderness full of armed hostiles with their tenderest anatomical
features exposed to everything. If the "nude Barbarian" feature makes
the game less stable, remove it.

>> its way too easy to come by to mean anything.

I will conclude from this that you didn't do *normal* dungeon, let alone
Hell dungeon.

>> Plus, the mod swings wildly from being way way too
>> easy to way way too difficult.

hmmm... what's that mean?

--

Brian Brunner wrote:

>>> I actually played an assy in it all the way through Normal. I
>>> finally quit about 2/3 through A1 NM when the "naked assy" mod
>>> finally made the game too unstable to use--
>
> I don't see the point in watching pink pixels instead of brown or
> black ones... there isn't enough visual data to make it worth a
> bother, and I've a hard time with "immersion" when virtual people
> storm into the wild wilderness full of armed hostiles with their
> tenderest anatomical features exposed to everything. If the "nude
> Barbarian" feature makes the game less stable, remove it.

Aw, come on now, get a sense of humor here! :)

>>> its way too easy to come by to mean anything.
>
> I will conclude from this that you didn't do *normal* dungeon, let
> alone Hell dungeon.

Did I miss something somewhere? I did everything on Normal level I could
find. AFAIK I didn't bypass anything--I went in every dungeon I could find
in every Act, unless there's some kind of "special" dungeon somewhere.

I beat Baal on normal and did the 7 deadly sins thingie and beat all those
guys except for the Chimaera--probably could have done that too, eventually,
but as far as I'm concerned stuff like that is neither fun nor challenging,
simply boring. And I did all the A5 "extra" dungeons like Abaddon, and the
ones in the caves, too. Oh, I didn't do the cow level though, but I did
beat the guy I think I'd read about somewhere that's supposed to drop some
kind of key to open it up--can't remember his name, but I guess he was some
kind of boss from the original Diablo. Didn't get a key from him, though.

>>> Plus, the mod swings wildly from being way way too
>>> easy to way way too difficult.
>
> hmmm... what's that mean?

Well, I take that back--I went back and looked at my character and realized
that at the point I quit playing in NM I had something like 150 or so stat
and around 35 skill points I hadn't used. So I can't really imagine what
kind of difficulty I'd have faced had I used all those points I had
available. It would have been even easier I suppose, except for the
occasional ringers thrown in like The Butcher and Leoric--but that kind of
stuff only provides chintz, not challenge. And before you ask, no, I never
fought either one. So since I never succumbed to the tempation of an
impossible challenge, my assy finished Normal without ever dying.

Don't get me wrong. I think CE is a highly entertaining and well done
mod--it's just not something to take the place of the "real" D2, and it just
wasn't something to hold my interest very long, mostly because you can get
too much way too easily. Of course at this point, the "real" D2 isn't
something to take the place of the real D2 either, the "real" D2 in my mind
being the 1.09 game.

--
chainbreaker

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005, "~misfit~" wrote:

>> Brian Brunner wrote:

>> > Jill, SvH, have you looked at Chaos Empire?
>>
>> Oy! No poaching of realms players please! Our community needs all the
>> members it can get. <g>

Is frying OK if I agree not to poach?

--

Chaos Empire mod: Webwalker
USEast HC Ladder: Rockstomper

After a bit of looking and asking around, it's looking like my
housemates managed to do something to my computer while I was off
skiing. Or else when I was trying to clean off all the trojans that I
noticed upon my return I did something. Either way, it's getting
formated again this evening, after only about 1.5 months since the last
format and the housemates aren't getting an account on it. I'll let
them have xp's guest account, but I'll tell em it's only for logging in
so that the internet sharing starts to work and they can do everything
else from their laptop.
If that doesn't mix my problems, I'll have to get into hardware fixes.
While the network card I put into the computer so they could share the
internet connection didn't create any trouble when I first put it in,
it was an old card from a swap meet, so maybe it's worn out already
and is intereferring with the rest of the network? *shrug*

Hopefully the format will fix things and I can get onto building
characters for key hunting and uber killing.

Though I do have 3 keys of Terror already.

Anyway, best get back to work.

--
Ashen Shugar

chainbreaker wrote:

> Ah well, I must have missed that. I killed the conniving, backstabbing SOB
> but somehow missed the entrance you're talking about, I guess. Does the
> entrance open up where Nilly is right then after you kill him?

It opens up on the little "platform" he stands on. I'm not surprised
you missed it. If I hadn't have had prior knowledge I would have just
killed Nilly and gotten the hell out of there.

> I can't go
> back and look for it now because I finally broke down and logged on Bnet to
> update my old characters, so now I'm patched to 1.11. Hmm . . . unless
> there's some way to transfer my saved CE games to my other computer, cause
> I'm sure not starting over again just to find it. Or maybe they'll patch CE
> to the 1.11 patch.

I'm not sure that they will. IIRC, another thread mentioned that that
would require too much coding, and that 1.11 was not impressive enough
to merit such work. Shame, really. I didn't realize 1.11 rendered CE
unusable until I had downloaded the patch. I didn't play much anyway,
but it was fun to take my barb out sometimes, especially since I had
just transformed him into The Butcher using a morph ammy.

> And I just remembered that the guy I killed whose name I couldn't remember
> was Damien--can't remember where it was I found him, though.

He's located in the Swampy Pit, usually near the Flayer Jungle WP.

FWIW, I agree with your assessment that stuff is obtained a little too
easily. I believe it is what burned me out on the mod. After I received
my 23rd blue short war bow in the Hell Dungeons as a drop reward with
800 MF, with flying witches and Lava Maws that could take out 14K HPs
in the blink of an eye, I started wondering why I was risking my barb's
life down there, even in SC, when I could just sell a Tome of TP and
gamble in the safety of town, and eventually obtain what I was looking
for anyway. Unless that's not quite what you meant.

Jill

neithskye wrote:
> chainbreaker wrote:
>> Brian Brunner wrote:
>
>>> I will conclude from this that you didn't do *normal* dungeon, let
>>> alone Hell dungeon.
>
>> Did I miss something somewhere?
>
> Once you kill Nihlathak in any difficulty, an entrance opens up to the
> "dungeons", 17 levels of pure joy.

Ah well, I must have missed that. I killed the conniving, backstabbing SOB
but somehow missed the entrance you're talking about, I guess. Does the
entrance open up where Nilly is right then after you kill him? I can't go
back and look for it now because I finally broke down and logged on Bnet to
update my old characters, so now I'm patched to 1.11. Hmm . . . unless
there's some way to transfer my saved CE games to my other computer, cause
I'm sure not starting over again just to find it. Or maybe they'll patch CE
to the 1.11 patch.

And I just remembered that the guy I killed whose name I couldn't remember
was Damien--can't remember where it was I found him, though.

--
chainbreaker

Long ago, in the world without shrimp, Brian Brunner
<brian.brunner@verizon.net.prophet>, supreme ruler of bunnies, hopped and
flopped and said:

>Jill, SvH, have you looked at Chaos Empire?

Yes, I did, and didn't like some aspects of it. The real showstopper now is
that it doesn't run under 1.11, of course.

Long ago, in the world without shrimp, "Ashen Shugar"
<deathsabyss@yahoo.com.au>, supreme ruler of bunnies, hopped and flopped and
said:

>Well, I think the lag has more to do with the ladder reset than the
>Patch.
>I missed the first 4 days of the new ladder, but when I got to playing,
>the lag was there and it hadn't been in the week between the patch and
>the reset.

I noticed an ever increasing amount of lag spikes and dropped games in the few
weeks leading up to the patch, and it's even worse now. In light of this,
combined with the usual ISP lag, and the fact that I lose my connection
multiple times a play session, I've switched to "lag resistant" characters.
The sorceress is now confined to nightmare running for now. The summoning
necromancer is now in act 5 nightmare, as is the paladin, and I'll be starting
a concentrate barbarian soon.

>But what exactly is causing the lag? Were servers removed or are more
>people playing (or botting)?

Certain games seem to be lag-free (relatively speaking), so my theory is that
some of their game servers are simply ailing in some fashion.

neithskye wrote:
> He's located in the Swampy Pit, usually near the Flayer Jungle WP.

Yep, now that you remind me, I remember. Natch, hehe.

> FWIW, I agree with your assessment that stuff is obtained a little too
> easily. I believe it is what burned me out on the mod. After I
> received my 23rd blue short war bow in the Hell Dungeons as a drop
> reward with 800 MF, with flying witches and Lava Maws that could take
> out 14K HPs in the blink of an eye, I started wondering why I was
> risking my barb's life down there, even in SC, when I could just sell
> a Tome of TP and gamble in the safety of town, and eventually obtain
> what I was looking for anyway. Unless that's not quite what you meant.
>
> Jill

Yep, Jill, right on the old button. I picked up just a bit of magic find
about halfway through the game and set/unique items started dropping like
crazy, but they're hidden in so much other junk that it's a real PITA to
even look for them. But there's no real reason to even do it, because like
you say, just sell a few tomes or pots and gamble for about anything you
want. Of course, you can play by limiting yourself in some fashion, which
is what I did by not using anywhere near as many stat/skill points as I had
available, but ultimately, a game where you have to work to make it
challenging/interesting isn't going to keep my attention very long. And
like I've said before, throwing in those "ringers" like The Butcher, Leoric,
et.al. doesn't serve as a challenge IMO--it's just something . . . silly.

--
chainbreaker

TRENDING THREADS