Windows MSG Audio in one direction only plus..

I normally use MSN msg however I attempted to use Windows
Messenger for an audio conversation and the other party
could hear me but I could not hear anything. I downloaded
a fresh W MSG 4.7 just in case it was corrupted and later
that night found all my received files \ history had
changed the default from wordpad to IE and would NOT load
while I also had MSN Explorer open. If I tried to read
these files in wordpad all I got was formatting stuff
with the chat interspersed and really impossible to read.
The words "debug version" and formatting info but no
messages appeared if I tried notepad.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Greetings Thomas,

You and your contact might try turning off the QoS Packet Scheduler. To do so, click Start,
then All Programs, then Accessories, then
Communications, and then Network Connections. Right click your network/internet connection,
then click Properties. Uncheck the QoS Packet Scheduler, and try again.

If that doesn't help and if either of you are using a router (with UPnP support), you may
need to remove the current port forwardings. To do so, click Start, All Programs,
Accessories, Communications, Network Connections. Right-click the "Internet Gateway" (should
be under the Internet Gateway heading) and choose Properties. Choose the Settings button,
click each 'msmsgs' or 'msnmsgr' entry and then choose 'Delete' to each one. Then close
Messenger (right-click the Messenger icon, choose Exit), then restart Messenger.

Finally, for testing purposes, both you and your contact might try turning off the Windows XP
Internet Connection Firewall (although you shouldn't need to for Messenger voice/video
connectivity). To do so, click Start, then All Programs, then Accessories, then
Communications, and then Network Connections. Right click your network/internet connection,
then click Properties. Click the Advanced Tab, and verify that the Internet Connection
Firewall is unchecked. As well, if your contact is using some type of third-party firewall
(ZoneAlarm, Norton Internet Security, etc.) have them make sure that Messenger is set to
"Permit All", "Allow All" or "Medium" (ZoneAlarm).
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert