reason for the complicated resolution settings

queuetrip

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2002
re november 4, 2002 article "pixel-churners : a round...display properties"

HI, I am using the Radeon 7500 AIW {6.13.10.6166} sometimes with a TV set as the second monitor.)

The overly complicated changes required get the monitor into the right mode are because of the "pan-and-scan" screen mode/ feature.

I.e. if you set the max screen size to a size smaller than the desktop resolution, the screen will pan and scan.

queuetrip

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2002
re november 4, 2002 article "pixel-churners : a round...display properties"

I wonder what version of the the catalyst drivers the review was based on.
I was able to 'clone my' desktop on to a tv set, by just hooking up the s-vhs output to the tv set. Not only is it cloned it allows the tv set to pan-and-scans the 1280x1024 primary display.

any way, I was having many problems with the catalyst driver 2.2(computer crashing randomly (it looked like the harddrives were causing the problems [microsoft crash analysis of the problem was that the display driver was causing the problem.])... it was the 2.2 drivers because 2.3 has not crashed the computer yet...)

the only problem I was having was that the refresh rate has to be set before the TV is enabled, or the cloned tv picture does not work.

(to make the tv work as a clone, turn on the TV monitor (though display properties/ advanced ...)
( as a desktop... enable 'attach display')

Paul