31% of Windows 7 Problems Are From Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

socalboomer

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2008
However, these are only those reported to iYogi. The VAST majority of Win7 installs I've seen have been absolutely trouble-free and FAST.

BoxBabaX

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
So by not encountering the first 4 problems (Brand new pc running win 7 ult perfectly). I have avoided 85% of issues? Not bad.

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Does being slower than Vista count as a problem?

Does getting the "WinXP" mode to really work count as a problem?

Does the long list of game/application compatibility count as a problem?

Does the "made in India" count as problem? Great for India's economy, not so great for the US economy.

Come on Tom's, how about you start reporting on the many "REAL" problems Windows 7 has...and this is "progress"?

ncarlson

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
How can getting the aero interface to work be seen as a problem with Windows 7? Either you have a graphics solution powerful enough to support it, or you don't. I see this as a potential driver issue instead.

ncarlson

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
How can getting the aero interface to work be seen as a problem with Windows 7? Either you have a graphics solution powerful enough to support it, or you don't. I see this as a potential driver issue instead.

G

My hardware ran fine on Vista with zero problems. Upgrading to Win7 64 bit I was constantly getting BSODs. After attempting several clean installs I decided to slow my DDR3 in the bios and the problem went away.

darkknight22

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
I have the iPhone issue and it's extremley annoying, although I blame itunes for that one.

If you want to talk statistics here, that's 31% of people that have issues....and what % of people with win 7 are ones that even have issues to begin with?

G

Haven't run into any problems installing windows 7 what so ever whether it be the upgrade or Full version. Just be sure to save what ever needs saving and do a clean install and you'll be just fine.

The only problems I've seen so far is with companies not taking the time to make sure their software works correctly such as Verizon's newest version of their "Call Assistant" which is buggier than anything, especially on 64-bit windows 7.

haze4peace

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Haven't had any problems. Sure the known file extensions are hidden, but its an easy change to bring them back. I wouldn't call that a problem... not like it causes blue screens or anything. A lot of those are just learning curve, like the taskbar issue. New taskbar... have to get used to it.

twu

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2007
People asking for too much.
Which major Operation System or Database applications do not have upgrade issues?

Linux, HP-UX, Solaris, etc.... all have upgrade issues. It always left some old application libraris cause problems.

LOL... Give it a rest.

kittle

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
I ran into zero problems installing win7
but i did run into #5 myself. When it annoys me enough I look to see how to fix it.. Until then I choose not to whine to a tech support service.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]trevorvdw[/nom]Give it a rest Yam.[/citation]
No kidding! When Yam isn't kneeling in front of the Apple alter, he's slinging rocks at Microsoft.

The FACT of the matter is that the majority of people installing Windows 7 encounter NO PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER.

Now, speaking of drooling retards, V8VENOM dragged out a list "grievences" against Windows 7. Let's examine them:

Slower than Vista.

WRONG. Tom's recent article, which you obviously didn't read, discusses this very issue.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/windows-7-performance,2476.html

Getting XP Mode to work.

First of all, it is only available for Professional, Ultimate and Enterprise. Second, you have to download the XP Mode module from Microsoft. Finally, you have to be smart enough to dress and feed yourself on a daily basis before you can even think about installing and configuring XP Mode.

Long list of game/application compatibility problem.

As usually, you haven't the slightest idea what you're talking about. How about providing the actual list. I doubt you will since it doesn't exist. The only problems even close to what you're talking about arise from the need for updated drivers, especially if you are using the 64-bit version of Windows 7 (not that "64-bit" means anything to you, but there it is).

Windows 7 is made in India.

WRONG. According to their 10-K report, Microsoft has over 93,000 employees in 100 countries. I could find nothing to suggest that the employees in India were entirely, or even significantly, responsible for the creation of Windows 7. While such developments are undoubtly a collaborative effort across Microsoft worldwide, the majority of the development and project management occurred here in the U.S. (certainly the lion's share of the revenues and profits from Windows 7 will end up here in our economy).

Don't worry, though, if there are any stories about problems with Windows 7, whether they're true or not, I'm sure Marcus Yam will dig them up.

sliem

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
Still having problem installing win7 on computer1. It installs fine on computer2. Must be hardware issue. However, this is a common hardware: gigabyte mobo + amd athlon 2 x2 245 + 2x2gb ddr2800 ram + geforce 8800gt 512mb. Problem is: blank screen for 10minutes after bios/post. That's right, everytime the comp restarts, it is stuck with black screen for 10 minutes before win7 loads (afterwards, it loads and runs fine).

Marcus Yam

Splendid
Jul 1, 2008
[citation][nom]trevorvdw[/nom]31% of Windows bashing articles are from Marcus Yam.[/citation]
You're seriously mistaken if you think that I somehow have the cosmic ability to will iYogi -- and then Ars Technica -- to just magically create this sort of news just so that I can relay it to you in some sort of negative light.

You also must be a new reader to our site. If so, welcome! Please check our new archives where you'll find plenty of Windows 7 articles written by me that report on positive Windows 7 aspects.

If you aren't able to handle a factual piece of news that might reflect negatively on an operating system, I suggest that you refrain from clicking on such headlines.

I will also disclose that I'm a Windows 7 user out of personal choice and preference since the first public beta.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
I had a problem with install. I installed the public Beta last summer and it installed very easily. I bought the upgrade and its install was very slow. I searched the net and found out that if your BIOS has a floppy drive enabled but you don't have a floppy drive it will slow down the install by a large amount. I changed my BIOS and the install went quickly after that. This is the exact same machine that the beta installed on with no problem.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
I really don't get it.

First of all, Marcus writes most of the articles about Windows 7. In the YEAR before it launched, it was purely his beat. No one else wrote about Win7 unless Marcus wasn't working for some reason.

Now, Kevin gets a the odd one here and there and Marcus writes the rest. Cast your mind back and think about ALL the Windows 7 news stories we've published in the last year and a half. 95% of them are written by Marcus (you guys actually once complained that he was a Microsoft fanboy and asked him to quit posting about Windows 7) and SHOCKER, none of them bash Windows.

Did anyone read the article properly? "According to data collected by consumer helpdesk firm iYogi..." I could understand your anger if his comments were plucked out of the air with no source at all but come on. This story is based on the research of a consumer helpdesk company.

/rant

Status
Not open for further replies.