I'm not very clever

1. w00t. NM Meph dropped a couple of gold items. One of them was a pair
of Battle Boots. Sure, only 30 MF (lowest) but hey, War Trvs is War
Travs. Let's go mule them along with the +2 traps ammy, +1 Barb 18 res
ammy, Venom Grip Gloves, about 10 pgems. So, I start a new game.
Lagging, but I'm only muling... Drop all the stuff, a couple of
Orts.... Esc. Bring the mule in... Ggame Does Not Exist. huh? Oh,
forget to bring that second comp in before I quit the game.
AAARRRGHGGGHHHH!!!

2. hmmmm nothing to be done about it. Let's go hit nm Meph again. hmmm
lagging. ok, whenever ping hits 1000 I'll just go do some shopping.
Trips to twon, come back down, etc. Then I finally get to Meph, who was
actually pretty close. Had him half way... ah heck pings are getting up
there. 1600, ok, wil go back up and start again later after some more
shopping. Wait a while. Accidentally get in the TP again while running
around playing silly buggers. Ping is at 1000. Not too bad. May as well
take him out. oops. w h a t i s g o i n g o n? hit 2 fat
purps....

his deeds of honour will be remembered.

So after a night's play, lost my loot, then lost my character, Lvl 62
Summoner. I think I have said before, these things happen. It's why we
play HC. :)

chaliban

> Accidentally get in the TP again while running around playing silly buggers.

This is one of Murphy's Laws of Hardcore Playing.

When it is absolutely requried to enter a TP, you will not be allowed
in
When walking through town, if you walk anywhere near a TP, you will go
through it.

There's also these

When you need reds, blues will drop and vice versa
When you need arrows, bolts will drop and vice versa
When you need blues and go buy some you will see 10 blues drop over
your next 3 kills.

Here's a new one:

When you need ping you will get pong. :)

Orion

Please explain,

I am still relatively new to D2:LOD. What is a ping lvl/hits, is it some
way of gauging the lag rate. If thats what it is it would be very useful
to me.

Cheers,

Hawklan

Orion Ryder wrote:
> > Accidentally get in the TP again while running around playing silly buggers.
>
> This is one of Murphy's Laws of Hardcore Playing.
>
> When it is absolutely requried to enter a TP, you will not be allowed
> in
> When walking through town, if you walk anywhere near a TP, you will go
> through it.

I am well aware of this one. you can imagine my partner's chagrin when
my/our lvl 1 mule walked into one in Hell River just before getting his
hellforge.

> There's also these
>
> When you need reds, blues will drop and vice versa
> When you need arrows, bolts will drop and vice versa
> When you need blues and go buy some you will see 10 blues drop over
> your next 3 kills.
>
> Here's a new one:
>
> When you need ping you will get pong. :)

You mean that you can lag so badly that you end up playing a 70's video
game?

Doodles

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2004

When you are in a battle.net game, hit the ENTER key and type /fps, then hit
ENTER again. At the top of the screen you will see information about the
ping rate. The ping rate is the number in milliseconds that it takes for
your computer to talk to the server. A low ping rate (say around 70)
indicates that your computer and the server are talking around 14 times
every second. This is good...it means that your actions are recognized on
the server very quickly. A high ping rate (say 500 - 2000) means that your
computer is connecting to the server only twice per second, or even every
two seconds. This is bad, because the monsters are still attacking during
this time.

General rule of thumb in Hardcore: if you don't see your actions reflected
on the screen immediately, bail out and try re-entering the game. A delay
of only a second can be fatal, as I nearly discovered last night in NM Act
4...when I rejoined the game my life was at around 10%, all because I
hesitated exiting the game.

Of course, the REAL bad news is this: if your computer is lagging, then it
won't even recognize the command to exit until it is too late.

Brian Kastel wrote:
> "chaliban" <chaliban@hotmail.com> wrote...
> >
> > I am well aware of this one. you can imagine my partner's chagrin when
> > my/our lvl 1 mule walked into one in Hell River just before getting his
> > hellforge.
>
> You are apparently clever enough to (seemingly routinely) level a mule to
> get a hell hellforge. Could I ask you to write a recipe for me?
> Step-by-step, as if I am the least clever person you'd ever meet.

Sure. But I don't think you realise all the people I have ever met. :)

The thing to remember is that to get the Baal quest, a character does
not need to have completed Ancients and does not have to be anywhere
near Baal at any time. Actually, a character only ever needs to leave
town once to move from normal to nightmare to hell.

There are a few ways to do it. This is for solo.

I have two CD Keys and accounts (well three, but let's just say two).

I level and quest in the normal manner with my first character
(questor). The questor does all the quests all through the game.

The second character (mule) is partied with the questor and thus gets
credit for all the quests, and gets no exp obviously.

The only time the mule needs to leave town is at the end of Act 3 after
Meph dies to get to Act 4.

When the questor kills Baal, the mule alse gets credit for killing him
and is thereafter known as DestroyerMule (or something). The same
applies through nightmare.

Obviously, to get the hellforge is just a matter of clearing the area
and then getting the mule to hit the hammer against the forge. But
don't forget to unparty first (heh, as I said, I'm not very clever and
I only did this once but I remember that Lum rune well)

Did that make sense?

More advanced is when you get 8 people/characters/accounts together,
and have one person as a rusher (usually a high level sorc). That
Rusher rushes 7 mules through the game. At this point theories differ
as to the most efficient method of continuing. Some people think the
rush should occur in Classic so that you can just get the characters
through without the level requirement for Ancients.

My preferred method is to have actually levelled a character to 40+
without killing Baal for the quest. So, 6 mules go through to the next
difficulty and one questor. Same things then happen again in nightmare
but I have a lvl 70+ character ready for the Baal quest.

Last ladder season, we did this a few times between 3 or 4 of us. (one
person had 4 accounts, another had 2) At the end we divide our loot in
whatever way we think is fair. Each of us usually walks away with an
average of Ist + Um. The whole thing took about 2 hours for the 14
runes (6 mules nm + hell and questor nm + hell).

my role was usually to have a character ready at about level 15-20
which had not done andy, another character about 40+ ready for Baal
quest, and by choice, a last one about 70 ready for nm baal quest.

The lvl 15 questor (usually about lvl 24 actually) got all the quests
for the mules in town and was a bit more sturdy than any level 1 mules.

The lvl 40 questor did the Baal quest with the Rusher.

The lvl 70 questor did the nm Baal quest with the Rusher.

It wasn't too important but this way we didn't have to ever do the
Ancients.

Something else we picked up was to mule away the staff of kings so that
quest could be completed a little easier.

Hope that makes sense. If you or anyone wants to do this on WHCL, just
let me know. I have three accounts but am in no position to be the
Rusher. Yet. And I apologise in advance if this wasn't clear. Feel free
to ask me questions.

chaliban

"chaliban" <chaliban@hotmail.com> wrote...

> I am well aware of this one. you can imagine my partner's chagrin when
> my/our lvl 1 mule walked into one in Hell River just before getting his
> hellforge.

You are apparently clever enough to (seemingly routinely) level a mule to
get a hell hellforge. Could I ask you to write a recipe for me?
Step-by-step, as if I am the least clever person you'd ever meet.

TIA

Brian Kastel wrote:
> "chaliban" wrote...
> > Brian Kastel wrote:
> >> "chaliban" wrote...

<snip>

> Okay, so far, so good. Computer A loaded with CD-key 1 brings in virgin
> character who has no quests to his or her name. This will be the questor.
> Computer B is loaded with CD-key 2 and is useful only for burning mules, but
> loads another virgin (mule) character to be the rushee.

yes

> Now, the thing that stymies me is that I now have two characters who are
> essentially equal, and I know of no way to "rush" the questor to receive the
> quests, since to be a virgin means also to be 1st level. It takes me
> -l-o-n-g- time to complete the quests. Is this why Oliver wrote in his
> reply to only perform the minimum number of quests? Still, that takes a
> while. What am I missing? Remember I play SP on the realms (SC ladder).

Well, in this simple method, you have your questor who is actually
playing through the game. My characters tend to take a long time too
but that's the fun in playing the game. Really, it's just an added
benefit that you have a mule trudging along beside/behind you. It's
like a squire that holds all your excess gear. And at the end he is
able to get a couple of runes.

I have a chantress so I can chant my questor and then when the questor
gets to a required quest, the chantress leaves and I bring a mule in.

<snip>

> Okay, so now there are two characters at the Hell Hellforge. One is the
> questor, and the other is the mule. Only the questor has any experience.
> The mule is still level 1. (Correct?)

yes

> Now what is the questor good for? Seems that the questor then must become
> just another mule, since he or she is of no use in receiving quests,
> anymore. Is this accurate? Then, of course, I just start a new game with
> that character, and get that Hellforge, and now I just worked for two
> Hellforges drops. Is this a correct summary?

Yes, but the questor is a character that you play. At least mine
usually is. It's how I play through the game if I am playing by myself.
As I said above, the added rune is just an added bonus. You could also
rush a lvl 1 mule through quickly by just putting the mule in a safe
spot. Details of that below.

Now, below is where you really get into runes...

> > More advanced is when you get 8 people/characters/accounts together,
> > and have one person as a rusher (usually a high level sorc). That
> > Rusher rushes 7 mules through the game. At this point theories differ
> > as to the most efficient method of continuing. Some people think the
> > rush should occur in Classic so that you can just get the characters
> > through without the level requirement for Ancients.
>
> Why does this level requirement apply now and not above in your explanation?

Above, the questor generally plays through the game. as you have
probably realised. And therefore, is usually able to do Ancients by
themself. If you rush 7 mules through, none of them will be able to do
Ancients and therefore none of them will be able to complete the Baal
quest. One Virgin has to be in the area to get the quest (explained
further below).

Also, a classic rush has no level requirements because there is no
Ancients quest (no Act 5 at all).

> How does rushing in this way differ from the above?

Well, it is real rushing rather than playing through the game with an
extra mule tagging along.

> Does the lead sorc have to kill all the minions and leave the quest bosses
> alone?

No, as long as one virgin is nearby.

> Is the goal of this type of rushing to gain the most experience in the
> shortest amount of time?

No, it's to get the max amount of runes in the shortest possible time.

> > My preferred method is to have actually levelled a character to 40+
> > without killing Baal for the quest. So, 6 mules go through to the next
> > difficulty and one questor. Same things then happen again in nightmare
> > but I have a lvl 70+ character ready for the Baal quest.
> >
> > Last ladder season, we did this a few times between 3 or 4 of us. (one
> > person had 4 accounts, another had 2) At the end we divide our loot in
> > whatever way we think is fair. Each of us usually walks away with an
> > average of Ist + Um. The whole thing took about 2 hours for the 14
> > runes (6 mules nm + hell and questor nm + hell).
>
> Okay...
>
> > my role was usually to have a character ready at about level 15-20
> > which had not done andy, another character about 40+ ready for Baal
> > quest, and by choice, a last one about 70 ready for nm baal quest.
>
> Why a special character for Andy? I think I'm reading you in this way: as
> long as the characters are partied, and as long as a virgin does the killing
> of the quest boss, any other virgin that is partied will also get the quest.
> Where exactly in the game, then, does proximity to the boss make a
> difference? What are the proximities?

No. A virgin does not have to do the killing. A virgin has to be near
the quest boss/council to get quest credit. Andy is just the first
boss. For example, the lead sorc (Rusher) goes down to Cat4. At the
stairs, she opens a TP which a virgin enters. Rusher teles into Andy's
room and kills her. The virgin will get the quest credit (and so will
the other party members). This is a safe one. There are other safe
areas for virgins for each of the required quests, although some are
safer than others (Council probably the most dangerous). Sometimes, you
just don't get close enough when the Rusher kills the Quest Boss and
you don't get quest credit. That's why I like having a mid level
character that can get close and won't get one-hit killed.

> > The lvl 15 questor (usually about lvl 24 actually) got all the quests
> > for the mules in town and was a bit more sturdy than any level 1 mules.
> >

> > The lvl 40 questor did the Baal quest with the Rusher.
> >
> > The lvl 70 questor did the nm Baal quest with the Rusher.
> >
> > It wasn't too important but this way we didn't have to ever do the
> > Ancients.
>
> So the Ancients are not strictly a requirement, as long as all partied are
> virgins. The characters can be in town and complete the quest by only being
> partied. Correct?

The Ancients ARE NOT a requirement for gaining quest credit for killing
Baal. The Ancients ARE a requirement for getting down to the Worldstone
Keep. So, if you have one lvl 99 Sorc and 7 lvl 1 mules, the level 1
mules won't be able to get down to Baal and get the quest.

As for the actual Ancients quest, you must be level 20 (in normal) AND
you must be on the Arreat Summit to get quest credit. So, the 7 level 1
mules would not be able to get quest credit and this be unable to get
down to the Throne Room (or whatever chamber Bal lives in)

> > Something else we picked up was to mule away the staff of kings so that
> > quest could be completed a little easier.
>
> And how does that help? I have one of those.

Well, the Maggot Lair is not a quest which MUST be completed, although
you still need a Horadric Staff to get to Dury. So, it cuts out the
time in the Maggot Lair. I am not sure about Dury mules and don't
really understand them.

It's quite difficult to explain properly. You should also note that in
SC there are a couple of easier ways. A dead character can get quest
credit in a party. Not exactly sure how it works (does a party member
need to need the quest etc). I only play HC so I can't elaborate.

Hope some of this answers your questions. It all sounds really
complicated but it's much simpler running through it than tryinig to
explain it (like most things)

Hi,

"Brian Kastel" <be-ar-eye-ay-en-kay-ay-ess-tee-ee-ell@tampabay.rr.com>
wrote in news:yyxOe.32373$Oy2.3282@tornado.tampabay.rr.com:

> "chaliban" <chaliban@hotmail.com> wrote...
>>
>> I am well aware of this one. you can imagine my partner's chagrin
>> when my/our lvl 1 mule walked into one in Hell River just before
>> getting his hellforge.
>
> You are apparently clever enough to (seemingly routinely) level a mule
> to get a hell hellforge. Could I ask you to write a recipe for me?
> Step-by-step, as if I am the least clever person you'd ever meet.

in SP/Open B-net you can start a new char at level 33 with the -act5
trick. He'll start in Normal Act5 with 33 levels worth of stat/skill
points free to distribute.

On closed b-net, you'll have to level a new char to level 20/40 to be
allowed to the Ancients quest. With the help of an Enchantress level 40
should be doable in 2-3 hours.

Necessary quests:

Act1: Andariel
Act2: Staff/Viper Amulet
Arcane Sanctuary/Summoner
Duriel
Act3: High Council
Mephisto
Act4: Hellforge
Diablo
Act5: Ancients
Baal

Questor starts the game, high-level char (rusher) joins and the mule(s).
Rusher gives the waypoints and kills the bosses while questor is close
by. The mule(s) can stay in town and will get the quests, too.

In Softcore, the questor doesn't even have to be alive when the boss is
killed - he just has to be close.

If you plan to actually play the questor, you can do the Anya quest while
in Act5.

In SP, with the -act5 trick I could rush two chars to Hell Hellforge in
about 4 hours - including levelling from 33 to 40.

Regards,

Oliver

"chaliban" wrote...
> [...]

> for the mules in town and was a bit more sturdy than any level 1 mules.
>

> The lvl 40 questor did the Baal quest with the Rusher.
>
> The lvl 70 questor did the nm Baal quest with the Rusher.
>
> It wasn't too important but this way we didn't have to ever do the
> Ancients.

So the Ancients are not strictly a requirement, as long as all partied are
virgins. The characters can be in town and complete the quest by only being
partied. Correct?

> Something else we picked up was to mule away the staff of kings so that
> quest could be completed a little easier.

And how does that help? I have one of those.

> Hope that makes sense. If you or anyone wants to do this on WHCL, just
> let me know. I have three accounts but am in no position to be the
> Rusher. Yet. And I apologise in advance if this wasn't clear. Feel free

I have, and I thank you. :)

wrote in news:_bMOe.63382$dJ5.24105@tornado.tampabay.rr.com:

> Okay, so now there are two characters at the Hell Hellforge. One is
> the questor, and the other is the mule. Only the questor has any
> experience. The mule is still level 1. (Correct?)
>
> Now what is the questor good for? Seems that the questor then must
> become just another mule, since he or she is of no use in receiving
> quests, anymore. Is this accurate? Then, of course, I just start a
> new game with that character, and get that Hellforge, and now I just
> worked for two Hellforges drops. Is this a correct summary?

basically, a rush consists of two chars - rusher and rushee. Rusher is a
high-level char that can do all needed quests in all difficulties easily.
The rushee just runs along and gets quest credits when he is near during
the killing.

Going through all the needed quests takes the rusher about 3-4 hours, so
if he takes along 7 mules, you'll get about 7 high-level runes (up to
GUL) for the effort.

The mules can be thrown away afterwards. The questor is kind of a mule,
too. He just needs to be level 20/40 for the Ancients. You can use him as
a "normal" playing char later.

I usually did a Hellforge rush when I wanted to start a new char, anyhow.
With 3 sessions on my PC, I could do a rush with the questor and a mule.
After about 4 hours of hard work, I'd have a level 40 char - with access
to almost all important areas - and 2 runes.

Regards,

Oliver

I meant to reply to group, but I apparently replied to sender. Sorry,
chaliban.

Here it is for the group:

> "chaliban" wrote...
>> Brian Kastel wrote:
>> > "chaliban" wrote...

[snip]

>> > my role was usually to have a character ready at about level 15-20
>> > which had not done andy, another character about 40+ ready for Baal
>> > quest, and by choice, a last one about 70 ready for nm baal quest.
>>
>> Why a special character for Andy? I think I'm reading you in this way:
>> as
>> long as the characters are partied, and as long as a virgin does the
>> killing
>> of the quest boss, any other virgin that is partied will also get the
>> quest.
>> Where exactly in the game, then, does proximity to the boss make a
>> difference? What are the proximities?
>
> No. A virgin does not have to do the killing. A virgin has to be near
> the quest boss/council to get quest credit. Andy is just the first
> boss. For example, the lead sorc (Rusher) goes down to Cat4. At the
> stairs, she opens a TP which a virgin enters. Rusher teles into Andy's
> room and kills her. The virgin will get the quest credit (and so will
> the other party members). This is a safe one. There are other safe
> areas for virgins for each of the required quests, although some are
> safer than others (Council probably the most dangerous). Sometimes, you
> just don't get close enough when the Rusher kills the Quest Boss and
> you don't get quest credit. That's why I like having a mid level
> character that can get close and won't get one-hit killed.
>
>> > The lvl 15 questor (usually about lvl 24 actually) got all the quests
>> > for the mules in town and was a bit more sturdy than any level 1 mules.
>> >

>> > The lvl 40 questor did the Baal quest with the Rusher.
>> >
>> > The lvl 70 questor did the nm Baal quest with the Rusher.
>> >
>> > It wasn't too important but this way we didn't have to ever do the
>> > Ancients.
>>
>> So the Ancients are not strictly a requirement, as long as all partied
>> are
>> virgins. The characters can be in town and complete the quest by only
>> being
>> partied. Correct?
>
> The Ancients ARE NOT a requirement for gaining quest credit for killing
> Baal. The Ancients ARE a requirement for getting down to the Worldstone
> Keep. So, if you have one lvl 99 Sorc and 7 lvl 1 mules, the level 1
> mules won't be able to get down to Baal and get the quest.
>
> As for the actual Ancients quest, you must be level 20 (in normal) AND
> you must be on the Arreat Summit to get quest credit. So, the 7 level 1
> mules would not be able to get quest credit and this be unable to get
> down to the Throne Room (or whatever chamber Bal lives in)

Does all this mean that a character does not need to get quest credit in
order to advance to the next difficulty level, but only needs to have credit
for killing Baal? And I suppose, moreover, if the point is to get the most
runes in the shortest time, that this should be done in classic, where there
is no Baal?

>> > Something else we picked up was to mule away the staff of kings so that
>> > quest could be completed a little easier.
>>
>> And how does that help? I have one of those.
>>
> Well, the Maggot Lair is not a quest which MUST be completed, although
> you still need a Horadric Staff to get to Dury. So, it cuts out the
> time in the Maggot Lair. I am not sure about Dury mules and don't
> really understand them.
>
> It's quite difficult to explain properly. You should also note that in
> SC there are a couple of easier ways. A dead character can get quest
> credit in a party. Not exactly sure how it works (does a party member
> need to need the quest etc). I only play HC so I can't elaborate.
>
> Hope some of this answers your questions. It all sounds really
> complicated but it's much simpler running through it than tryinig to
> explain it (like most things)

You have provided more than I could have hoped for. Thank you.

"Oliver Wenzel" wrote...
> Hi,
>
> "Brian Kastel" wrote:
>
>> Okay, so now there are two characters at the Hell Hellforge. One is
>> the questor, and the other is the mule. Only the questor has any
>> experience. The mule is still level 1. (Correct?)
>>
>> Now what is the questor good for? Seems that the questor then must
>> become just another mule, since he or she is of no use in receiving
>> quests, anymore. Is this accurate? Then, of course, I just start a
>> new game with that character, and get that Hellforge, and now I just
>> worked for two Hellforges drops. Is this a correct summary?
>>

> basically, a rush consists of two chars - rusher and rushee. Rusher is a
> high-level char that can do all needed quests in all difficulties easily.
> The rushee just runs along and gets quest credits when he is near during
> the killing.
>
> Going through all the needed quests takes the rusher about 3-4 hours, so
> if he takes along 7 mules, you'll get about 7 high-level runes (up to
> GUL) for the effort.
>
> The mules can be thrown away afterwards. The questor is kind of a mule,
> too. He just needs to be level 20/40 for the Ancients. You can use him as
> a "normal" playing char later.
>
> I usually did a Hellforge rush when I wanted to start a new char, anyhow.
> With 3 sessions on my PC, I could do a rush with the questor and a mule.
> After about 4 hours of hard work, I'd have a level 40 char - with access
> to almost all important areas - and 2 runes.

I'd love to take along 7 mules. How many instances can I have running on
one connection?

After going to <http://tinyurl.com/2tnqw>
"Brian Kastel" <be-ar-eye-ay-en-kay-ay-ess-tee-ee-ell@tampabay.rr.com> wrote

>"Oliver Wenzel" wrote...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I usually did a Hellforge rush when I wanted to start a new char, anyhow.
>> With 3 sessions on my PC, I could do a rush with the questor and a mule.
>> After about 4 hours of hard work, I'd have a level 40 char - with access
>> to almost all important areas - and 2 runes.
>

>I'd love to take along 7 mules. How many instances can I have running on
>one connection?

4 connections per IP address (or so I've heard)
--
no, i didn't forget the 'F's
http://www.geocities.com/jerk_o2002

Brian Kastel wrote:
> I meant to reply to group, but I apparently replied to sender. Sorry,
> chaliban.

no probs

> Here it is for the group:

<snip>
> Does all this mean that a character does not need to get quest credit in
> order to advance to the next difficulty level, but only needs to have credit
> for killing Baal? And I suppose, moreover, if the point is to get the most
> runes in the shortest time, that this should be done in classic, where there
> is no Baal?

A character only needs to have defeated Baal to advance. Obviously
quest credit for defeating Baal.

Yes, some say that doing a rush in Classic is much quicker. And added
to the no Act 5 thing is that there isn't a lvl requirement for
anything. Accordingly, 1 rusher, 7 mules. No Ancients.

The difference is that we had no capable rusher in Classic, we were no
longer really familiar with Classic (i mean, who uses a bloody Spectral
Shard anymore, and what do you mean there are no runes). Others do rush
in Classic.

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003

chaliban wrote:
> Brian Kastel wrote:
> > You are apparently clever enough to (seemingly routinely) level a mule to
> > get a hell hellforge. Could I ask you to write a recipe for me?
> > Step-by-step, as if I am the least clever person you'd ever meet.
>
> Sure. But I don't think you realise all the people I have ever met. :)

<snip!>

oooh, this makes my head hurt. I prefer to simply play a single char or
two until they die, then resurrect them as level 1 untwinked No0bz and
try again. All this talk of rushing, and multiple cd keys, and multiple
accounts simply gives me a headache... :( No wonder I never have any
uber gear; I guess I just don't have the intestinal fortitude to
approach the game with this much predetermination.

-Jason

<OT> On the other hand, I just finished book VI of Harry Potter! One
more book to go... I hope everyone dies. TTHAT would be a happy ending!
</OT>

Jason wrote:
> chaliban wrote:
> > Brian Kastel wrote:
> > > You are apparently clever enough to (seemingly routinely) level a mule to
> > > get a hell hellforge. Could I ask you to write a recipe for me?
> > > Step-by-step, as if I am the least clever person you'd ever meet.
> >
> > Sure. But I don't think you realise all the people I have ever met. :)
>
> <snip!>
>
> oooh, this makes my head hurt. I prefer to simply play a single char or
> two until they die, then resurrect them as level 1 untwinked No0bz and
> try again. All this talk of rushing, and multiple cd keys, and multiple
> accounts simply gives me a headache... :( No wonder I never have any
> uber gear; I guess I just don't have the intestinal fortitude to
> approach the game with this much predetermination.

hehe. The concept is simple. I play with my character and have a couple
of mules in the game at the same time. All the quests I get, my mules
get.

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003

Oliver Wenzel wrote:
> in SP/Open B-net you can start a new char at level 33 with the -act5
> trick. He'll start in Normal Act5 with 33 levels worth of stat/skill
> points free to distribute.
>
> On closed b-net, you'll have to level a new char to level 20/40 to be
> allowed to the Ancients quest. With the help of an Enchantress level 40
> should be doable in 2-3 hours.
>
> Necessary quests:
>
> Act1: Andariel
> Act2: Staff/Viper Amulet
> Arcane Sanctuary/Summoner
> Duriel
> Act3: High Council
> Mephisto
> Act4: Hellforge
> Diablo
> Act5: Ancients
> Baal
>
> Questor starts the game, high-level char (rusher) joins and the mule(s).
> Rusher gives the waypoints and kills the bosses while questor is close
> by. The mule(s) can stay in town and will get the quests, too.
>
> In Softcore, the questor doesn't even have to be alive when the boss is
> killed - he just has to be close.
>
> If you plan to actually play the questor, you can do the Anya quest while
> in Act5.
>
> In SP, with the -act5 trick I could rush two chars to Hell Hellforge in
> about 4 hours - including levelling from 33 to 40.

Ooooh. Now my head really hurts. I understand what you are saying, but
I think you missed the point of my earlier response. I enjoy the simple
act of playing the game. Rushing for runes, IMHO, sounds about as
boring as playing trivial pursuit in Chinese (which I most DO NOT
speak, BTW).

As long as we're discussing rushing, why not simply make a classic
enchantress? She can chant new chars, and they can auto-rush through
norm/nightmare using her additional 600+ fire damage. Then, convert
them to LOD chars, and do a traditional rush for Hell Forge?

-Jason

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003

chaliban wrote:
> Jason wrote:
> > chaliban wrote:
> > >
> > > Sure. But I don't think you realise all the people I have ever met. :)
> >
> > <snip!>
> >
> > oooh, this makes my head hurt. I prefer to simply play a single char or
> > two until they die, then resurrect them as level 1 untwinked No0bz and
> > try again. All this talk of rushing, and multiple cd keys, and multiple
> > accounts simply gives me a headache... :( No wonder I never have any
> > uber gear; I guess I just don't have the intestinal fortitude to
> > approach the game with this much predetermination.
> >
> hehe. The concept is simple. I play with my character and have a couple
> of mules in the game at the same time. All the quests I get, my mules
> get.

I replied to Oliver accidentally. Oops. That makes sense. Now I
understand perfectly. :)

-Jason

And I get to play the game with my own "squire". And it helps with the
XP if I am in game by myself.

"chaliban" wrote...
> Jason wrote:
>> chaliban wrote:
>> >
>> > Sure. But I don't think you realise all the people I have ever met. :)
>>
>> <snip!>
>>
>> oooh, this makes my head hurt. I prefer to simply play a single char or
>> two until they die, then resurrect them as level 1 untwinked No0bz and
>> try again. All this talk of rushing, and multiple cd keys, and multiple
>> accounts simply gives me a headache... :( No wonder I never have any
>> uber gear; I guess I just don't have the intestinal fortitude to
>> approach the game with this much predetermination.
>>
> hehe. The concept is simple. I play with my character and have a couple
> of mules in the game at the same time. All the quests I get, my mules
> get.

That's all I really want, too. I so rarely interact with anyone else on the
realms that I have never had the opportunity to try out certain things. I'd
like to do more, and find more stuff. Last ladder, I thought I was doing
pretty well. I was actually kinda disappointed that they reset it. I know
I could still play the non-ladder character, but I don't wish to do that
right now. I was noticeably lacking in Ist and Um runes, and if there is a
better way to acquire those in the game than endless Countess runs (which
only netted one Ist and never an Um, anyway), then I am willing to try it.

"chaliban" wrote...
> And I get to play the game with my own "squire". And it helps with the
> XP if I am in game by myself.

I just started a new game last night with two new classic characters. The
questor is a paladin, and the mule is a barb. Everything was going fine,
and the barb was getting quest credit for the pally's work, as you said.
However, after finishing Charsi's quest, I looked at the barb's quest screen
hoping to see a free imbue quest, and it said he has to be level 8 before
completing that quest, so he did not get credit for that one. Is this
something I missed? Or is it just that one quest? Will the barb get quest
credit for killing Andy when the pally takes her out?

wrote in news:IFnQe.64817$Yx1.34630@tornado.tampabay.rr.com:

> "chaliban" wrote...
>> And I get to play the game with my own "squire". And it helps with
>> the XP if I am in game by myself.
>
> I just started a new game last night with two new classic characters.
> The questor is a paladin, and the mule is a barb. Everything was
> going fine, and the barb was getting quest credit for the pally's
> work, as you said. However, after finishing Charsi's quest, I looked
> at the barb's quest screen hoping to see a free imbue quest, and it
> said he has to be level 8 before completing that quest, so he did not
> get credit for that one. Is this something I missed? Or is it just
> that one quest? Will the barb get quest credit for killing Andy when
> the pally takes her out?

never cared much about imbueing, but he can do it later.

Your barb will get Andy quest when you're partied up. Andy is the only
quest required in Act 1.

Regards,

Oliver

"Oliver Wenzel" wrote...
> Hi,
>
> "Brian Kastel" <be-ar-eye-ay-en-kay-ay-ess-tee-ee-ell@tampabay.rr.com>
> wrote in news:IFnQe.64817$Yx1.34630@tornado.tampabay.rr.com:
>>
>> "chaliban" wrote...
>>> And I get to play the game with my own "squire". And it helps with
>>> the XP if I am in game by myself.
>>
>> I just started a new game last night with two new classic characters.
>> The questor is a paladin, and the mule is a barb. Everything was
>> going fine, and the barb was getting quest credit for the pally's
>> work, as you said. However, after finishing Charsi's quest, I looked
>> at the barb's quest screen hoping to see a free imbue quest, and it
>> said he has to be level 8 before completing that quest, so he did not
>> get credit for that one. Is this something I missed? Or is it just
>> that one quest? Will the barb get quest credit for killing Andy when
>> the pally takes her out?
>
> never cared much about imbueing, but he can do it later.
>
> Your barb will get Andy quest when you're partied up. Andy is the only
> quest required in Act 1.

Thanks for your help.

It's weird playing classic. You can't equip or resurrect your merc, the
stash is smaller, and no runes... strange... I just want to get them both
to hell and then convert them for their forges. I appreciate the help.

TRENDING THREADS