Need test/benchmark that test graphics AND sound

shadowjack

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2002
I have the madonion 3d graphics benchmark program, but it has no sound. Does anyone know of a benchmark or test program that will do graphics and sound at the same time? Or even with broadband? Any list or websites would be appreciated!

Fred

Oracle

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2002
3DMark is a graphics benchmark. Why do you care about sound?
How would you like to benchmark sound? With ultrasounds and a bat!

<font color=red>That was my two cents!</font color=red>
<font color=blue>Now I'm broke!</font color=blue>

shadowjack

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2002
I think the AGP and sound card are competing for cpu time and causing stuttering. Graphics tests work fine. Ad sound in a game, and I sometimes get stutter.

Skipper007

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
I've always heard running a Quake 3 benchmark or something like that with various sound modes and then sound off... never tried it though.

Also, I think 3DMark has a "demo" mode with sound - don't know if that gives a score or not.

rubikian

Distinguished
May 20, 2002
Yeah...I think you can run the demo with fraps (A program that measures fps), then log all the results in the log file and calculate the difference of it when the sound is on and when it's off. By the way, just thought of that and never try that before. Think I'll try it as well...

Oracle

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2002
I see your point.
Sound stuttering never occurred to me. I can imagine that happening with onboard graphics and sound, but hardly with a dedicated AGP card and a PCI sound card with their own graphics and sound processing unit that discharges the main CPU a great deal. I'm running a 8500LE and a SBLive! with a Katmai 600Mhz on a BX platform and never got any sound problem whatsoever, even with intensive games and/or apps.
I believe sound would have a minimal impact on frame rates.
With hyperthreading, the problem would, in theory, be solved.

<font color=red>That was my two cents!</font color=red>
<font color=blue>Now I'm broke!</font color=blue>

rubikian

Distinguished
May 20, 2002
There's also a setting in the bios like pci delay or something (couldn't remember what) which can sometimes help. Setting it larger (normally in ms)will cause the PCI to use up less processing time interval but will cause broken sound or something if set too large. Setting it lower will increase the frquency of using the processing time. I remember the default is somewhere around set to 32.