A few questions froma veteran noob

I just started playing this game again after a 1.5 year break.

I feel like a noob again! Uber Meph and Trist????
keys??? Mousepad charges for maphack???? What the hell happened!
I was a rich man, loads of mules with runes gems and all the gear I
could want.99lv sorcs, zonz, and necros.
Now I am starting over and am a bit confused. I now have a pally up
to lvl 23! and a lvl 9 zon. WOOHOO!!!!

If anyone can help me out with a few questions that would be great

1) Can anyone suggest a good/safe character editor for Open or SP? I
have a few build ideas I want to check out before commiting the time.

2) What happened to the trading? It doesnt seem to be as active
anymore. Chipped gems, runes etc.. used to be able to get you some
decent gear.

3) Are chipped gems even worth anything anymore?

4) Is there some alternatvie to chips that low levels can use as
trading currency?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
*Rage0674

> 2) What happened to the trading? It doesnt seem to be as active
> anymore. Chipped gems, runes etc.. used to be able to get you some
> decent gear.

Since ladder just reset, runes arent as high in quantity, and gear is
much rarer. Give it a few months and everyone will have Ums popping
out their ears. =).

> 3) Are chipped gems even worth anything anymore?

Used to be in late 1.10 before ladder reset. PGems are worth more.

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003

rage0674@yahoo.com wrote:
> I just started playing this game again after a 1.5 year break.

Welcome back! (*chanting* "One of us. One of us.")

> I feel like a noob again! Uber Meph and Trist????
> keys??? Mousepad charges for maphack???? What the hell happened!

1.10 and 1.11. Lot of easter egg type stuff now. All entirely optional,
and not part of the actual questing.

> I was a rich man, loads of mules with runes gems and all the gear I
> could want.99lv sorcs, zonz, and necros.
> Now I am starting over and am a bit confused. I now have a pally up
> to lvl 23! and a lvl 9 zon. WOOHOO!!!!

Eh, it's more fun to play untwinked anyway.

> If anyone can help me out with a few questions that would be great
>
> 1) Can anyone suggest a good/safe character editor for Open or SP? I
> have a few build ideas I want to check out before commiting the time.

Zonfire & Atma still work fine.

> 2) What happened to the trading? It doesnt seem to be as active
> anymore. Chipped gems, runes etc.. used to be able to get you some
> decent gear.

Oh boy. I never trade so I dunno. Usually, if I have anything worth
trading, I'll give it away to someone on my friends list. Usually they
reciprocate. Is that trading? LOL

> 3) Are chipped gems even worth anything anymore?

You can still use them to make socketed swords, but that recipe is a
bit nerfed since it gives random number of sockets (1-3) now.

> 4) Is there some alternatvie to chips that low levels can use as
> trading currency?

People seem to treat runes and pgems like currency. I don't understand
the exchange rates, personally. Good luck!

-Jason

freemont wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 10:44:47 -0400, Garret <garretdoe@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> <shnip>
>
> >> 3) Are chipped gems even worth anything anymore?
> >
> > PGems are worth more.
> >

> lol, ya THINK?? ;-)

As obvious as it sounds, it is sometimes not the case. Chipped gems
can be used in recipes that Pgems cant. And no one who is level 90
wants to go to normal and start looking for chipped gems.

On 24 Aug 2005 10:12:25 -0700, "Garret" <garretdoe@hotmail.com> wrote:

>freemont wrote:
>> On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 10:44:47 -0400, Garret <garretdoe@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> <shnip>

>> > PGems are worth more.
>> >

>> lol, ya THINK?? ;-)
>
>As obvious as it sounds, it is sometimes not the case. Chipped gems
>can be used in recipes that Pgems cant. And no one who is level 90
>wants to go to normal and start looking for chipped gems.

Also, as another poster mentioned, they severely nerfed the "three
chipped gems and a magic sword" cube recipe in 1.10. It's no longer
useful for high-item-level weapons, and less useful than it was for
getting "my first real weapon", since there are only 1-2 sockets.

A dual-sword barbarian could breeze through Act 2 and further with two
of these babies.

--Craig

--
"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever." - The Replacements
Craig Richardson (crichard-tacoma@worldnet.att.net)

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 10:44:47 -0400, Garret <garretdoe@hotmail.com> wrote:

<shnip>

>> 3) Are chipped gems even worth anything anymore?
>
> PGems are worth more.

lol, ya THINK?? ;-)

--
"Because all you of Earth are idiots!"
¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·-> freemont© <-·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯

rage0674@yahoo.com wrote:

>1) Can anyone suggest a good/safe character editor for Open or SP? I
>have a few build ideas I want to check out before commiting the time.
>
>2) What happened to the trading? It doesnt seem to be as active
>anymore. Chipped gems, runes etc.. used to be able to get you some
>decent gear.

Chippies are not quite as useful as they were in 1.09, due to the
sword rerolling recipe not being the same and also because there are
so many new options what with the new uniques, rare items can get up
to 450% ED on them, tons of new runewords, etc.

You can still find a few people looking for chippies for a variety of
uses, but the best way to get good gear is with perfect gems and runes
though. I haven't been doing any trading yet but I read about other
people making trades for pretty good gear with AMN runes, perfect
gems, etc. Once the ladder gets going you can expect people to pay
insane prices for certain socketed items like 3 socket Archons, due to
some of the more popular runewords.

>4) Is there some alternatvie to chips that low levels can use as
>trading currency?

Not really, not like back in 1.09. But you can always cube every gem
you find until you start getting perfect gems. MF is much more
effective now as well. A character with 50% MF can expect to do as
well or better than a character with a couple hundred did in 1.09. So
uniques and set items are much easier to come by.

The last patch I played was 1.09.

Thanks to everyone for their reponses! You have all been most helpful.

Hope to see you all online soon.

Regards,
*Rage0674

In article <1124894336.119904.230390@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
<rage0674@yahoo.com> wrote:
>I just started playing this game again after a 1.5 year break.
>
>I feel like a noob again! Uber Meph and Trist????
>keys??? Mousepad charges for maphack???? What the hell happened!
>I was a rich man, loads of mules with runes gems and all the gear I
>could want.99lv sorcs, zonz, and necros.
> Now I am starting over and am a bit confused. I now have a pally up
>to lvl 23! and a lvl 9 zon. WOOHOO!!!!

Welcome back, hope you enjoy your stay. Which patch was the one you played
when you left 1.5 years ago? 1.09?

>If anyone can help me out with a few questions that would be great
>
>1) Can anyone suggest a good/safe character editor for Open or SP? I
>have a few build ideas I want to check out before commiting the time.

I don't play SP any more, so I have no idea. A lot of those editors are
probably still being adapter for 1.11. Someone else can hopefully answer
this one.

>2) What happened to the trading? It doesnt seem to be as active
>anymore. Chipped gems, runes etc.. used to be able to get you some
>decent gear.

If you're playing Ladder, I also notice the SC Eur Ladder trade forum is
rather low on posts, and less active. So it seems, first of all, a lot of
people didn't start playing the new ladder.

Also, keep in mind, a lot of people are still playing the game with
relatively 'young' characters, and don't have a lot of trade-fodder yet.
At least, that's the case for me.

If you want to effectively trade, I suggest you join Blizzard's trade
forums, and start posting there. Or use trade games, they still exist.

>3) Are chipped gems even worth anything anymore?

Nope. I was running short of them at the end of the previous ladder, when
I was 'drowning' in Amns/Sols/etc due to that, and needed chippies to cube
them up.

>4) Is there some alternatvie to chips that low levels can use as
>trading currency?

PGems. If you pick up all types of gems you find, you should be able to
start building up a cache of those. I'm level 30-something, just started
NM, and now have 3 pgems. :) Of course, in NM and beyond, more and more
Flawless gems will drop, so the rate of pgem-cubing will go up.

Also, some of the lower runes (the stuff used in the more popular crafting
recipes) are usable, I for instance value a Ral rune at about the same
value as a PGem. See the crafting recipes for likely candidates.

Hope this helps...

Regards,

Patrick.

"Garret" <garretdoe@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> And no one who is level 90 wants to go to normal and start looking for
> chipped gems.

Oh yes, he does :)