Blocking MSN Messenger

We Have A Network, Can We Block Any Messengers From
Loging On??

Thank You!
2 answers Last reply
More about blocking messenger

    Did you get any reply? I wish to do the same however MS's suggestions didn't
    work. I've got to get my daughter back to homework and off Messenger! Here is
    the reply I got from MS, incase it works for you.

    ....to do this, please refer to this Microsoft Knowledge Base article on how
    to restrict users from running specific Windows Programs:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=323525

    Furthermore, you may also block the port as well as the HTTP proxy used by
    MSN Messenger. Please block port 1863 and http://messenger.hotmail.com to
    block Messenger on your network.

    You are valuable here at MSN. Please do not hesitate to write back if you
    have other concerns. You may also opt to use our on-line help located at:
    http://messenger.msn.com/help.

    "mklug04" wrote:

    > We Have A Network, Can We Block Any Messengers From
    > Loging On??
    >
    > Thank You!

    Port 1863 is the incoming port yo want to block.

    The problem is there seems to be know way to block WEBmessenger. I've
    blocked the DNS and IP address range but now there are places like
    http://e-messenger.net and http://iloveim.com/ popping up all over the place.
    We would have to hive a full time person just to keep up with all the DNS /
    IP address blocks.

    Microsoft will not comment on this.

Messenger Microsoft MSN Messenger Windows XP