Getting rid of icon in tray

I have a problem similar to Norman's...but not exactly.
SP2 deposited Messenger back on my PC AND my startup. I
keep un-checking it in msconfig>startup, and it's gone
from my tray after rebooting. But the next time I restart,
it's back in the tray AND magically re-checked in startup.
It's not even listed in add/remove programs. I can live
with it on my PC, but NOT on startup! Help?
3 answers Last reply
More about getting icon tray

    Greetings Sandy,

    You cannot disable Windows Messenger using MSConfig.

    You'll simply need to disable Windows Messenger. To do so, open it up (click Start, then
    Run, type "msmsgs" and click OK), click Tools, Options, Preferences tab and uncheck 'Run this
    Program when Windows starts' or 'Run Windows Messenger when Windows starts' (depending on
    version) as well as 'Allow this program to run in the background' or 'Allow Windows Messenger
    to run in the background' (depending on version). This won't remove Windows Messenger, so
    features like Remote Assistance, Whiteboard and Application Sharing will continue to work,
    but it will let it stay out of your way.

    Also, do you have Norton Antivirus installed? Recent versions of Norton Antivirus added a
    new "instant messaging scanning" feature, which can conflict with Messenger and cause it to
    also keep starting. To stop it, open Norton Antivirus (Right-click on the Norton Antivirus
    icon in the System Tray/Notification Area (by the clock), choose 'Open Norton Antivirus'),
    click Options, then Instant Messenger then uncheck MSN Instant Messenger and click OK.
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    "Sandy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a problem similar to Norman's...but not exactly.
    > SP2 deposited Messenger back on my PC AND my startup. I
    > keep un-checking it in msconfig>startup, and it's gone
    > from my tray after rebooting. But the next time I restart,
    > it's back in the tray AND magically re-checked in startup.
    > It's not even listed in add/remove programs. I can live
    > with it on my PC, but NOT on startup! Help?

    Under add/remove programs, click on add/remove Windows
    Components-there you can "uninstall" Messenger, though
    I've noticed on some CPUs, it continues on...thanks
    Microsoft.

    Hi,

    Actually if you read exactly what it's going to do within that dialog box, all that option
    does is simply remove the shortcuts.
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    "Catherine" <cioneill@creighton.edu> wrote in message
    > Under add/remove programs, click on add/remove Windows
    > Components-there you can "uninstall" Messenger, though
    > I've noticed on some CPUs, it continues on...thanks
    > Microsoft.

Messenger Microsoft Msconfig Windows XP