Which Geforce4 Ti4200?

andy715

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2002
I've got to buy a graphic card very urgently.
I know i should maybe wait for the new nvidia chipset but i really have to hurry up(i've got a brand new P4 2.5 Ghz in my hands just waiting to be powered by a graphic card)
So......my biggest question is: 64 or 128?????
I know 64 cards have a faster memory but 128 will maybe give the card a longer life.
What do u reckon?
Have u ever tried th Abit Siluro Ti 4200 64 Mb

I NEED HELP??????

ltj311

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
You pretty much answered your own question dealing with 64 vs 128. Get a 64mb if you plan on upgrading within 9 months. If you want to keep the card longer, go with 128mb.

I don't know a whole lot about the Abit Siluro, but I'm sure it will do just fine. Check pricewatch.com and look for brands like MSI, Leadtek, Chaintech, and Gainward. All good manufacturers.

Good luck.

Ghostdog

Distinguished
May 28, 2002
This question has been asked and anwsered so many times before. I would recomend the 128 MB version, even within a 9 month lifespan, but no less than that. Leadtek, MSI, Asus and Gainward are good manufacturers.

<font color=red>I´m starting to feel like a real computer consultant.</font color=red>

monkeyspank

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
If you can find one, I have heard that it is worth spending a little extra on the albatron ti4200. Have a <A HREF="http://www.3dvelocity.com/reviews/medusa/ti4200p_4.htm" target="_new">read about it</A>.
I would buy one if i needed a new vid card at that price.

<font color=red> -- </font color=red><font color=blue>A bush in the hand is worth two birds at the bar</font color=blue>

Lamoni

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
I own the Abit Siluro Ti 4200 64 Mb. It works great for me, but I upgraded from a Leadtek GeForce2 GTS. My GeForce2 was performing well, but went bad and would occasionally crash my system. I wasn't even overclocking it.

Anyway, I would say that it depends on what you plan on using the card for. If you want to enable all the options with more texture fills, etc. Then the 128 MB version is worth it. Otherwise the 64 MB version performs almost as well and costs less. In my opinion it is the better bang for your buck. It just all comes down to what you will use it for and if those games/applications take advantage of the extra memory. What you use it for will also determine how long it will last. I plan to get about 2 years out of mine, but I play westwood RTS games that use your video card, but not to the extent that other games do. The game is about just as fun at 800x600 as 1280x1024 and I don't need anything to play at higher resolutions. I can't wait for C&C: Generals.

Ghostdog

Distinguished
May 28, 2002
I disagree Lamoni. I think games look better at higher resoulutions, and I´m even willing to go down on details so I won´t have to play at a really crappy res.

<font color=red>I´m starting to feel like a real computer consultant.</font color=red>

monkeyspank

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
Me too... I like using a higher res, like 1280x1024 is ok on a good quality 19" monitor. And with a ti4200 you should be ok with fast games. In fact, games like C+C really benefit from higher resolutions as you can see more of what is going on.

Fairly soon though games will require a more powerful system to look good (comparitively) at that resolution

<font color=red> -- </font color=red><font color=blue>A bush in the hand is worth two birds at the bar</font color=blue>

Lamoni

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
I was unclear on my last post. I did say that 800x600 was 'just about as fun' Well I still think that it is almost as fun since I play multiplayer all the time and over my slow Internet connection, games go real slow at high resolutions. (broadband sure would be nice) But, during single player, I still prefer higher resolutions. I agree that you can see a lot more. 800x600 is never as good as 1024x768 or higher, except in my case where the game goes too slow due to the Internet connection. I would still argue that playing C&C games doesn't require above 1024x768. I enjoy the graphics, but that isn't what draws me to the game. You can see enough without going to 1280x1024 and above.

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
I didnt think graphics had anything to do with your internet connection. For example CS still runs as smoothly at smoothly at 1280x960 as it does 800x600 on my comp, and i only have 56k. Im not sure about 14.4k connections though (lol), that might make a difference. The only thing I see on my comp is occasional complete screen freezes due to the data throughput, however it always starts again with a few seconds.

Lamoni

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
I don't understand it either, but with Westwood games, it does run slower at higher resolutions over the Internet. I think that they could write the code to send all the data just the same no matter what resolution you decided to play at, but in practice it isn't true. Westwood also recommends lowering the resolution if online games run slow. Other games probably send different data so it doesn't matter. I wish Westwood did that too, but I just hope to get broadband sometime soon. (They don't offer it where I am at, but we will be moving in Dec)

I would like to also add something to my last post. I only use a 17" monitor. With larger monitors, higher resolutions are nice so you can just scrap everything I said about resolutions. Higher resolutions are always better. Personally, I won't need to use them on my 17" monitor though, but just because I won't use them, it is nice to have a more capable video card. That is why I think my video card can last 2 years. Everything I do now, I could do with a GeForce2 GTS. At the end of 2 years, I will probably use the GF4 Ti4200 to its max.

monkeyspank

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
Suggest you get a 128MB then based on your last comment dude :)

bikeman

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2002
Anybody any idea on the noisyness(noisiness?) of those cards? I might buy a Ti4200, too, but the main factors are not the memory, but the RAMDAC/output-filter quality and the noise the fan makes. I even heard about fanless Ti4200-cards ... Anybody any more information?

Tnx in andvance!
Bikeman

<i>Then again, that's just my opinion</i>

ltj311

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
I do know that the Leadtek Ti4200(which I have) is very quiet. One card to stay away from, even though it's probably the best OC'er, is the MSI Ti4200's with the clear HSF. I've heard from many different places that it has a very loud fan.