Trouble with windows message program

Cajun

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2004

I am using winXP and version 5.0 of windows message. I
have been for quite some time. I must have done something
because now, when I click on my message icon and click on
my email inbox it takes me to my outlook express inbox
instead of my hotmail inbox. Also, I am no longer
receiving the popup alerts from hotmail. Anyone know what
I could have done/changed and how do I set it back?

Thanks,

Cajun

"Cajun" wrote:

> I am using winXP and version 5.0 of windows message. I
> have been for quite some time. I must have done something
> because now, when I click on my message icon and click on
> my email inbox it takes me to my outlook express inbox
> instead of my hotmail inbox. Also, I am no longer
> receiving the popup alerts from hotmail. Anyone know what
> I could have done/changed and how do I set it back?
>
> Thanks,
>

> Cajun

This is exactly the same problem I am having! Have you downloaded SP2? I
think it may be something to do with that and the new firewall. Hopefully
someone may be able to enlighten us on this...

"Cajun" wrote:

> I am using winXP and version 5.0 of windows message. I
> have been for quite some time. I must have done something
> because now, when I click on my message icon and click on
> my email inbox it takes me to my outlook express inbox
> instead of my hotmail inbox. Also, I am no longer
> receiving the popup alerts from hotmail. Anyone know what
> I could have done/changed and how do I set it back?
>
> Thanks,
>

> Cajun

Go to http://www.microsoft.com/windows/messenger/?gssnb=1
and redownload and reinstall windows messenger. It will
say you are installing an older version do you want to do
this. Click yes because the new version is obiviously
broken :)

Then right click the windows messenger icon after it logs
you in and go to "My E-mail Inbox" it will ask you to
download an add-on.

After it finishes downloading it will be back to normal
and take you to your hotmail inbox again. It didn't take
long to download windows messenger or the add-on.

Greetings Cajun,

Windows Messenger 5.0 has never supported Add-Ins and therefore never supported any of the
MSN Add-In functionality (like Hotmail, MSN Mobile, etc.).

This functionality was also removed from the version of Windows Messenger within Windows XP
SP2. As such, in order to get this functionality
back, you'll either need to downgrade to the previous version of Windows Messenger
(http://www.microsoft.com/windows/messenger/download.asp) or use MSN Messenger instead
(http://messenger.msn.com/Download).
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"Cajun" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am using winXP and version 5.0 of windows message. I
> have been for quite some time. I must have done something
> because now, when I click on my message icon and click on
> my email inbox it takes me to my outlook express inbox
> instead of my hotmail inbox. Also, I am no longer
> receiving the popup alerts from hotmail. Anyone know what
> I could have done/changed and how do I set it back?
>
> Thanks,
>

> Cajun

Cajun

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2004

Ok, I downloaded 4.7 version, however, it's not letting me
sign on..says I don't exist (I feel that way sometimes) :)

When I tried to go to my options, just about everything is
grayed out..wonder why.

I don't feel like changing to msn messenger if I can get
this working again.

And yes, I downloaded the SP2, so that's probably what did
it...it figures.

Thanks,

Cajun

Jonathan Kay.

>"Cajun" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
>>I am using winXP and version 5.0 of windows message. I
>> have been for quite some time. I must have done
something
>> because now, when I click on my message icon and click
on
>> my email inbox it takes me to my outlook express inbox
>> instead of my hotmail inbox. Also, I am no longer
>> receiving the popup alerts from hotmail. Anyone know
what
>> I could have done/changed and how do I set it back?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>

>> Cajun
>

>.

No help, but if it makes you feel better I've done the same and reverted to
WM 4.7 and it won't log me in either. What a pain! Can't even exit Messenger
- says to close apps first even though they are. Anyone offer any possible
workarounds please?

"Cajun" wrote:

> Ok, I downloaded 4.7 version, however, it's not letting me
> sign on..says I don't exist (I feel that way sometimes) :)
>
> When I tried to go to my options, just about everything is
> grayed out..wonder why.
>
> I don't feel like changing to msn messenger if I can get
> this working again.
>
> And yes, I downloaded the SP2, so that's probably what did
> it...it figures.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Cajun

Back again! Problem solved as in Jonathan Kay's website close all apps and
type - RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection
%windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove
- and simply reinstall 4.7 from fresh together with the MSN add-in. Best of
Luck!