Trouble with windows message program

I am using winXP and version 5.0 of windows message. I
have been for quite some time. I must have done something
because now, when I click on my message icon and click on
my email inbox it takes me to my outlook express inbox
instead of my hotmail inbox. Also, I am no longer
receiving the popup alerts from hotmail. Anyone know what
I could have done/changed and how do I set it back?

Thanks,

Cajun
7 answers Last reply
More about trouble windows message program

    "Cajun" wrote:

    > I am using winXP and version 5.0 of windows message. I
    > have been for quite some time. I must have done something
    > because now, when I click on my message icon and click on
    > my email inbox it takes me to my outlook express inbox
    > instead of my hotmail inbox. Also, I am no longer
    > receiving the popup alerts from hotmail. Anyone know what
    > I could have done/changed and how do I set it back?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >

    > Cajun

    This is exactly the same problem I am having! Have you downloaded SP2? I
    think it may be something to do with that and the new firewall. Hopefully
    someone may be able to enlighten us on this...

    "Cajun" wrote:

    > I am using winXP and version 5.0 of windows message. I
    > have been for quite some time. I must have done something
    > because now, when I click on my message icon and click on
    > my email inbox it takes me to my outlook express inbox
    > instead of my hotmail inbox. Also, I am no longer
    > receiving the popup alerts from hotmail. Anyone know what
    > I could have done/changed and how do I set it back?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >

    > Cajun

    Go to http://www.microsoft.com/windows/messenger/?gssnb=1
    and redownload and reinstall windows messenger. It will
    say you are installing an older version do you want to do
    this. Click yes because the new version is obiviously
    broken :)

    Then right click the windows messenger icon after it logs
    you in and go to "My E-mail Inbox" it will ask you to
    download an add-on.

    After it finishes downloading it will be back to normal
    and take you to your hotmail inbox again. It didn't take
    long to download windows messenger or the add-on.

    Greetings Cajun,

    Windows Messenger 5.0 has never supported Add-Ins and therefore never supported any of the
    MSN Add-In functionality (like Hotmail, MSN Mobile, etc.).

    This functionality was also removed from the version of Windows Messenger within Windows XP
    SP2. As such, in order to get this functionality
    back, you'll either need to downgrade to the previous version of Windows Messenger
    (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/messenger/download.asp) or use MSN Messenger instead
    (http://messenger.msn.com/Download).
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    "Cajun" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am using winXP and version 5.0 of windows message. I
    > have been for quite some time. I must have done something
    > because now, when I click on my message icon and click on
    > my email inbox it takes me to my outlook express inbox
    > instead of my hotmail inbox. Also, I am no longer
    > receiving the popup alerts from hotmail. Anyone know what
    > I could have done/changed and how do I set it back?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >

    > Cajun

    Ok, I downloaded 4.7 version, however, it's not letting me
    sign on..says I don't exist (I feel that way sometimes) :)

    When I tried to go to my options, just about everything is
    grayed out..wonder why.

    I don't feel like changing to msn messenger if I can get
    this working again.

    And yes, I downloaded the SP2, so that's probably what did
    it...it figures.

    Thanks,

    Cajun

    Jonathan Kay.

    >"Cajun" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message
    >>I am using winXP and version 5.0 of windows message. I
    >> have been for quite some time. I must have done
    something
    >> because now, when I click on my message icon and click
    on
    >> my email inbox it takes me to my outlook express inbox
    >> instead of my hotmail inbox. Also, I am no longer
    >> receiving the popup alerts from hotmail. Anyone know
    what
    >> I could have done/changed and how do I set it back?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>

    >> Cajun
    >

    >.

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

    No help, but if it makes you feel better I've done the same and reverted to
    WM 4.7 and it won't log me in either. What a pain! Can't even exit Messenger
    - says to close apps first even though they are. Anyone offer any possible
    workarounds please?

    "Cajun" wrote:

    > Ok, I downloaded 4.7 version, however, it's not letting me
    > sign on..says I don't exist (I feel that way sometimes) :)
    >
    > When I tried to go to my options, just about everything is
    > grayed out..wonder why.
    >
    > I don't feel like changing to msn messenger if I can get
    > this working again.
    >
    > And yes, I downloaded the SP2, so that's probably what did
    > it...it figures.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Cajun

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

    Back again! Problem solved as in Jonathan Kay's website close all apps and
    type - RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection
    %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove
    - and simply reinstall 4.7 from fresh together with the MSN add-in. Best of
    Luck!
    "Cajun" wrote:

    > I am using winXP and version 5.0 of windows message. I
    > have been for quite some time. I must have done something
    > because now, when I click on my message icon and click on
    > my email inbox it takes me to my outlook express inbox
    > instead of my hotmail inbox. Also, I am no longer
    > receiving the popup alerts from hotmail. Anyone know what
    > I could have done/changed and how do I set it back?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >

    > Cajun

Hotmail Windows XP