PLEASE NEED HELP

D33

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2001
this is my 5th post i guess!
and still i couldn't fix my problem,
i have a radeon8500, asus, a7m266,1800+, audigy, winXP
and my computer crashes under games, no explanation given, just crashes...
i have tried:
reinstall drivers, update drivers, [-peep-] remove drivers,
cleaned my registry of eventual driver conflicts with my older geforce2MX drivers....

please i need help

dhlucke

Polypheme
You might want to consider a fresh install. Too much to backup?

<font color=red>
<A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?dhlucke" target="_new">Forum Assassin</A></font color=red>

Ghostdog

Distinguished
May 28, 2002
Also try taking everything that you don´t need (IE all other expansion-cards) and trying it again. If it still doesn´t work then try updating the BIOS and formating the hard-drive(s), then doing a clean install.

<font color=red>I´m starting to feel like a real computer consultant.</font color=red>

D33

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2001
i have too much to back up guys, formatting would just kill me..
resetting the bios,
how?
through the bios itself?

halkebul

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2002
Reseting the bios involves moving a jumper on the motherboard from the 1st two pins it is currently on, lets call them the 1st and 2nd pins, to the 2nd and 3rd pins. Then back to the 1st two pins again. Now your bios is reset. The motherboard's diagram that came with the mobo will better explain which jumper to move.

<i>It's your world kid!!!</i>

D33

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2001
oh i see, but the problem is that the original bios that comes with my board doesn't support athlon XP1800+, i have an asus a7m266, so when i first built my system i had to flash the bios to another version in order for my PC to boot.
and resetting the bios would roll back to the original version non?
i have downloaded a new version of the AMD761 chip bios from asus.com,
i will try flashing it...

monkeyspank

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
no it wont reflash your bios back to the original version. Resetting the bios will just change all the settings in the bios back to default. It might be worth flashing the bios to the newer version anyway. After flashing you have to reset all the settings back to default anyway.

<font color=red> -- </font color=red><font color=blue>A bush in the hand is worth two birds at the bar</font color=blue>

BarneyL

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2002
I'm having very similar problems with a radion 9700 pro.
I's a brand new system (just updated all the drivers that's it) it came with a tnt2 card which I replaced with the 9700. The system is a P4 2.4 in an MSI 645E motherboard with windows XP.
2D runs fine but any 3D use leads to either the program either quits to the desktop after a short time or on occasion causes a complete lock up (I've been runing 3d mark 2001 SE as the test).
Cutting the clock speeds of the card to the minimum allowed by powerstrip (about a 20% reduction) massively reduces the regularity of the crashes from about after 5-10 seconds to 5 minutes or so. Could this mean either the card is faulty or possibly the power sorce can't take it?

Barney

dUFF_Man

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2002
Are you overclocking anything in any way? cpu, gpu, mem anything???

Also what is the system temperature and cpu temp? Could be an overheat problem?

Hope it helps:)

:tongue: If <font color=red>Idiots </font color=red>could Fly, the Skies Would Be <b>DARK</b>.

BarneyL

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2002
Everything was at it's default speed when the serious errors occured, some more testing shows that the system is 100% stable with the graphics card at full speed but the fsb underclocked from 133MHz down to it's minimum of 80MHz

Barney

Edited update - Started thinking about this and went into the BIOS manually set the 333MHz memory to run at 266MHz everything works fine, looks like the Radeon card pushed the memory past what it could cope with in a way the TNT card couldn't. Will call the system manufacturer on Monday to get a module which is up to it.
Thanks for the tips it put me on to the right path to find the bug.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by BarneyL on 11/15/02 06:29 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

D33

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2001
is it different than simply resetting the settings to default from within the BIOS itself??
i'll try both, and let you guys updated
thanks