Melee sorc tips please

I'm building a melee sorc and I'm interested in some advise. Currently
she's only level 22 so I got a ways to go. My plan is to max enchant,
warmth, fire mastery, and shiver armor. I'm putting a single point in
cold mastey and lightning mastery, plus teleport and static. My
strategy is simple: Tele; Static, static, static; Whack, whack, whack!
Tele back out. Repeat.

Ok, now to stat allocations. I see from the Arreat Summit that 1 pt
vitality = 2 points life. Ok. 10 pts vit = 20 life. Now concerning
gems, a perfect ruby gives 35 life, whereas a perfect emerald gives 10
dexterity. This tells me that for every 10 dex I am sacrificing 20
life, which is far less (ok, 15 less) than the 35 offered by a pruby.
So, I'm wondering where to invest my stats? Is it best to dump into vit
for life, and use items to give me higher dex (for blocking), or is it
best to dump into dex and use items to make up for the life?

Currently I'm allocating 1/1/3/0 stats per level. (All Lam Esen rewards
go into vit.) At level 31 I'm planning to change that to 1/2/2/0 until
I get 60 (base) str, at which point I'm thinking 0/2/3/0.

Does this make sense? LOL. Any input from experienced melee sorc
players would be appreciated.

-Jason
3 answers Last reply
More about melee sorc tips please

    Hi,

    "Jason" <marlaque@hotmail.com> wrote in news:1125015818.394702.75260
    @g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

    > I'm building a melee sorc and I'm interested in some advise. Currently
    > she's only level 22 so I got a ways to go. My plan is to max enchant,
    > warmth, fire mastery, and shiver armor. I'm putting a single point in
    > cold mastey and lightning mastery, plus teleport and static. My
    > strategy is simple: Tele; Static, static, static; Whack, whack, whack!
    > Tele back out. Repeat.

    I'd look at Frozen Orb as a backup skill instead of Shiver armor.
    Defiance merc could make up for the defense. If he has an Insight stick,
    you could even use Energy shield.

    > Ok, now to stat allocations. I see from the Arreat Summit that 1 pt
    > vitality = 2 points life. Ok. 10 pts vit = 20 life. Now concerning
    > gems, a perfect ruby gives 35 life, whereas a perfect emerald gives 10
    > dexterity. This tells me that for every 10 dex I am sacrificing 20
    > life, which is far less (ok, 15 less) than the 35 offered by a pruby.
    > So, I'm wondering where to invest my stats? Is it best to dump into vit
    > for life, and use items to give me higher dex (for blocking), or is it
    > best to dump into dex and use items to make up for the life?

    Enough dex for max blocking, which might be quite a lot depending on your
    shield, everything else into vit.

    > Currently I'm allocating 1/1/3/0 stats per level. (All Lam Esen rewards
    > go into vit.) At level 31 I'm planning to change that to 1/2/2/0 until
    > I get 60 (base) str, at which point I'm thinking 0/2/3/0.

    For a real nice melee sorc, get a Passion Phaseblade. With +all skills,
    this would get you a 5-hit Zeal attack.

    Regards,

    Oliver

    Hannes Brunner wrote:
    > Jason schrieb:
    > > I'm building a melee sorc and I'm interested in some advise. Currently
    > > she's only level 22 so I got a ways to go. My plan is to max enchant,
    > > warmth, fire mastery, and shiver armor. I'm putting a single point in
    > > cold mastey and lightning mastery, plus teleport and static. My
    > > strategy is simple: Tele; Static, static, static; Whack, whack, whack!
    > > Tele back out. Repeat.
    >
    > Shiver armor is only worth the points if you are planing for a high
    > defense setup (i.e. Stone armor). If you can't get your defense rating
    > beyond 5k you better dont' care about it.

    I'm actually hoping to eventally get Lionheart in Wyrmhide, or some
    other low str armor. Stone, huh? That would be a good choice too, and
    it would give me a clay golum to play with. With Stone in wyrmhide, and
    some decent gloves/boots/belt/helm/shield, I could probably get my base
    def near 2,000. Add in shiver armor, and a defiance merc... I think
    I'll go this route! Plus, I like the additional cold damage shiver
    armor gives.

    > > Ok, now to stat allocations. I see from the Arreat Summit that 1 pt
    > > vitality = 2 points life. Ok. 10 pts vit = 20 life. Now concerning
    > > gems, a perfect ruby gives 35 life, whereas a perfect emerald gives 10
    > > dexterity. This tells me that for every 10 dex I am sacrificing 20
    > > life, which is far less (ok, 15 less) than the 35 offered by a pruby.
    > > So, I'm wondering where to invest my stats? Is it best to dump into vit
    > > for life, and use items to give me higher dex (for blocking), or is it
    > > best to dump into dex and use items to make up for the life?
    >
    > You won't have any slots for gems anyway ;). But I agree, max block is
    > mandatory. Which limits the shield selection quite a bit. Probably the
    > best is Whitstan's Guard (87% block, yay, 'only' 153 dex for max block
    > at lvl 80).

    I agree. Max block is a must. At level 24 she only has 25% block, but I
    need life a lot more than I need block right now. Unless I can get a
    Raven Frost, I'll most likely use Rhyme in a tower shield, for the CBF
    mod. That 65% block - I think I can work with that.

    > > Currently I'm allocating 1/1/3/0 stats per level. (All Lam Esen rewards
    > > go into vit.) At level 31 I'm planning to change that to 1/2/2/0 until
    > > I get 60 (base) str, at which point I'm thinking 0/2/3/0.
    >
    > Stat point allocation is as simple as that:
    > str: enough for equipment
    > dex: enough for max block
    > vit: all the rest
    > ene: nada, base

    Ultimately this will be true, but I won't be able to save stat poins
    for a while. I figure this route will position me close to ultimate
    goal. This is a lot easier when the char is twinked and I know my
    equipment in advance! lol.

    > So all depends on your equipment. Oliver recommended a Passion Phase
    > Blade, and I agree that this is a good choice. However, the rather low
    > physical damage of a Phase Blade makes leeching back a reasonable amount
    > of life virtually impossible.

    How about Lawbringer? This seems ideal for a melee sorc - high cold
    damage for FI, decrepify, and even sanctuary!

    > I once soloed a melee sorc through hell in
    > the early days of 1.10 and had to give up the fight with the Ancients
    > until I switched to a Heaven's Light and massive amounts of life leech
    > (Search google groups for Kyradina if you want to read more about it).

    I read about that adventure of yours. I think actually that Kyradina
    was a small motivator for me wanting to do the same! :)

    Thanks for your advise. Even if I can't solo hell, one more enchanter
    on the realms is ALWAYS welcome for group playing.

    -Jason

    Jason schrieb:
    > I'm building a melee sorc and I'm interested in some advise. Currently
    > she's only level 22 so I got a ways to go. My plan is to max enchant,
    > warmth, fire mastery, and shiver armor. I'm putting a single point in
    > cold mastey and lightning mastery, plus teleport and static. My
    > strategy is simple: Tele; Static, static, static; Whack, whack, whack!
    > Tele back out. Repeat.

    Shiver armor is only worth the points if you are planing for a high
    defense setup (i.e. Stone armor). If you can't get your defense rating
    beyond 5k you better dont' care about it.

    > Ok, now to stat allocations. I see from the Arreat Summit that 1 pt
    > vitality = 2 points life. Ok. 10 pts vit = 20 life. Now concerning
    > gems, a perfect ruby gives 35 life, whereas a perfect emerald gives 10
    > dexterity. This tells me that for every 10 dex I am sacrificing 20
    > life, which is far less (ok, 15 less) than the 35 offered by a pruby.
    > So, I'm wondering where to invest my stats? Is it best to dump into vit
    > for life, and use items to give me higher dex (for blocking), or is it
    > best to dump into dex and use items to make up for the life?

    You won't have any slots for gems anyway ;). But I agree, max block is
    mandatory. Which limits the shield selection quite a bit. Probably the
    best is Whitstan's Guard (87% block, yay, 'only' 153 dex for max block
    at lvl 80).

    > Currently I'm allocating 1/1/3/0 stats per level. (All Lam Esen rewards
    > go into vit.) At level 31 I'm planning to change that to 1/2/2/0 until
    > I get 60 (base) str, at which point I'm thinking 0/2/3/0.

    Stat point allocation is as simple as that:
    str: enough for equipment
    dex: enough for max block
    vit: all the rest
    ene: nada, base

    So all depends on your equipment. Oliver recommended a Passion Phase
    Blade, and I agree that this is a good choice. However, the rather low
    physical damage of a Phase Blade makes leeching back a reasonable amount
    of life virtually impossible. I once soloed a melee sorc through hell in
    the early days of 1.10 and had to give up the fight with the Ancients
    until I switched to a Heaven's Light and massive amounts of life leech
    (Search google groups for Kyradina if you want to read more about it).

    ---
    Hannes

Games Video Games