DLink 624 Problems

Five months ago I bought a D-Link 624 wireless router and have
experienced these problems:

1. The router wouldn't work with the 3COM Gigabit controller on my
ASUS motherboard. Hard to say who to blame with this problem, but I
had to buy another D-Link card to make it work.

2. I was cheated out of my mail-in rebate. Of course you have to
mail in the original paperwork, so you don't have much of a way to
dispute their claim.

3. Today the external power supply failed. I got a message from
D-Link that said that the power supply wasn't covered under the
warranty. I have read the documentation online and it states that the
power supply is excluded from the three year warranty, but IS covered
under warranty for one year.

4. It won't work with the built in wireless adapter on a tablet PC.
I haven't solved that problem yet. I hate to buy another card for the
Tablet PC. It's just like the first problem, it becomes a pointing the
finger contest. The dollars just keep mounting.

Tech support did give me the address of a web site where I could buy
another power supply. Big of them!!!

I have used Links and Netgear products in the past with out any
problems, but I've not had any problems that they had to resolve. I
don't know how they respond to customer problems.

bs has been included as part of my e-mail address to reduce the
amount of spam mail. Change the 'bs'in my address to 'bellsouth'
to send me a message.

Bill Burlingame
5 answers Last reply
More about dlink problems

    On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 15:49:24 -0500, William J. Burlingame
    <wjburl@bs.net> wrote:

    >Five months ago I bought a D-Link 624 wireless router and have
    >experienced these problems:
    >
    >1. The router wouldn't work with the 3COM Gigabit controller on my
    >ASUS motherboard. Hard to say who to blame with this problem, but I
    >had to buy another D-Link card to make it work.
    >
    >2. I was cheated out of my mail-in rebate. Of course you have to
    >mail in the original paperwork, so you don't have much of a way to
    >dispute their claim.
    >
    >3. Today the external power supply failed. I got a message from
    >D-Link that said that the power supply wasn't covered under the
    >warranty. I have read the documentation online and it states that the
    >power supply is excluded from the three year warranty, but IS covered
    >under warranty for one year.
    >

    >4. It won't work with the built in wireless adapter on a tablet PC.
    >I haven't solved that problem yet. I hate to buy another card for the
    >Tablet PC. It's just like the first problem, it becomes a pointing the
    >finger contest. The dollars just keep mounting.
    >

    >Tech support did give me the address of a web site where I could buy
    >another power supply. Big of them!!!
    >

    >I have used Links and Netgear products in the past with out any
    Linksys

    "William J. Burlingame" <wjburl@bs.net> wrote in message
    > Five months ago I bought a D-Link 624 wireless router and have
    > experienced these problems:
    >
    > 1. The router wouldn't work with the 3COM Gigabit controller on my
    > ASUS motherboard. Hard to say who to blame with this problem, but I
    > had to buy another D-Link card to make it work.
    >
    > 2. I was cheated out of my mail-in rebate. Of course you have to
    > mail in the original paperwork, so you don't have much of a way to
    > dispute their claim.
    >
    > 3. Today the external power supply failed. I got a message from
    > D-Link that said that the power supply wasn't covered under the
    > warranty. I have read the documentation online and it states that the
    > power supply is excluded from the three year warranty, but IS covered
    > under warranty for one year.
    >

    > 4. It won't work with the built in wireless adapter on a tablet PC.
    > I haven't solved that problem yet. I hate to buy another card for the
    > Tablet PC. It's just like the first problem, it becomes a pointing the
    > finger contest. The dollars just keep mounting.
    >

    > Tech support did give me the address of a web site where I could buy
    > another power supply. Big of them!!!
    >

    > I have used Links and Netgear products in the past with out any
    > problems, but I've not had any problems that they had to resolve. I
    > don't know how they respond to customer problems.

    > bs has been included as part of my e-mail address to reduce the
    > amount of spam mail. Change the 'bs'in my address to 'bellsouth'
    > to send me a message.
    >
    > Bill Burlingame

    You might solve the problem of the 3Com Gigabit controller (which I presume
    is a 10/100/1000 Mbps NIC) by setting the device properties to force the
    speed to 100 Mbps instead of allowing autonegotiation to choose a speed.

    Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

    >You might solve the problem of the 3Com Gigabit controller (which I presume
    >is a 10/100/1000 Mbps NIC) by setting the device properties to force the
    >speed to 100 Mbps instead of allowing autonegotiation to choose a speed.
    >
    >Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

    Thanks for the info. I'll give that a try. Seems that the tech
    support at D-Link would have made that suggestion. I've read other
    posts from users who have experienced the same problem, but yours is
    the first I've read to provide a possible work around.

    <wjburl@bs.net> wrote:

    >Five months ago I bought a D-Link 624 wireless router and have
    >experienced these problems:
    >
    >1. The router wouldn't work with the 3COM Gigabit controller on my
    >ASUS motherboard. Hard to say who to blame with this problem, but I
    >had to buy another D-Link card to make it work.

    Sounds like NWAY negotiation failure. The DI-624 has no provision for
    fixing the speed of the ethernet ports, so you'll have to do it on the
    Asus side. If you're running Windoze, dive into the:
    Control Panel -> Network -> 3Com ethernet -> Properties
    and dig through the multitude of settings for where you can set the
    ethernet speed and protocol to something immoveable. The router
    should follow. I suggest 10baseT Half-Duplex for a start to make
    absolutely sure it works. Then go to 100baseTX half-duplex. If that
    works, you can try full duplex, but I don't think (not sure) that the
    DI-624 supports full duplex.

    >2. I was cheated out of my mail-in rebate. Of course you have to
    >mail in the original paperwork, so you don't have much of a way to
    >dispute their claim.

    You're suppose to keep a copy. However, I've found that does no good.
    I've called various rebate laundries with complaints of getting
    rejected for specious reasons. I have a large pile of rejected
    rebates including some from D-Link. D-Link uses:
    http://www.rebateshq.com
    I have 3ea D-Link rejection forms. Only one was bogus and it wasn't
    really D-Link's fault. TigerDirect was advertising and selling D-Link
    products AFTER the D-Link rebate "offer" had expired. $20 down the
    drain thanks to not noticeing the ripoff. I phoned TigerDirect and
    they promised to "fix" the problem. That was 4 weeks ago and nothing.
    The remaining two rejections were my fault, for waiting too long to
    apply for their "offer" and for mailing them the wrong receipt.

    Looking through my deposit record, I've successfully received 12
    rebates from D-Link for a total of $180.

    >3. Today the external power supply failed. I got a message from
    >D-Link that said that the power supply wasn't covered under the
    >warranty. I have read the documentation online and it states that the
    >power supply is excluded from the three year warranty, but IS covered
    >under warranty for one year.

    I sell quite a bit of D-Link hardware. I've had perhaps one or
    possibly two wall wart failures in the last 5 years or so. The
    current model wall warts are all switching power supplies. These run
    very cool and seem to last much longer than the older wall warts with
    the big transformers that get hot, cook, and die. I've had far more
    failures of Netgear 5V 3A power supplies, but that was several years
    ago. The scarey part is that I've never had to send anything back
    under warranty to D-Link. I didn't know the wall wart was only 1
    year. Ugh.

    >4. It won't work with the built in wireless adapter on a tablet PC.
    >I haven't solved that problem yet. I hate to buy another card for the
    >Tablet PC. It's just like the first problem, it becomes a pointing the
    >finger contest. The dollars just keep mounting.

    Which tablet PC and using 802.11b or g technology? The reason I ask
    is that it's possible to set the DI-624 to "802.11g mode only". See:

    http://support.dlink.com/techtool/di624/emulator/adv_perform_11g.html
    In that mode, 802.11b radios can't talk to the DI-624. You can
    eliminate the finger pointing exercise by dragging your cool tablet PC
    (I'm jealous, I want one) to the nearest free internet cafe and trying
    to connect. I helped one user deal with an initial connection and
    discovered that their laptop had a very well hident wireless on/off
    switch that was of course turned off. Anyway, if you expect help with
    this particular problem, you might wanna supply some numbers and a
    better description of the failure.

    >Tech support did give me the address of a web site where I could buy
    >another power supply. Big of them!!!

    D-Link is not setup to sell parts directly. If they were, I'm sure
    you would not appreciate their prices.

    >I have used Links and Netgear products in the past with out any
    >problems, but I've not had any problems that they had to resolve. I
    >don't know how they respond to customer problems.

    Support? Oh, that's easy:

    I am tech support, and I know it all.
    I anxiously wait for your latest call.
    You've only to play, the game of voice mail,
    I'll be there shortly, I'm working my tail.
    Now tell me your problem, and what did you do?
    This cannot have happened. I haven't a clue.
    I may have the answer, though it's slightly late,
    Just buy the next version, release, or update.
    Next, tell me your problem, no matter how small,
    I am tech support, and I know it all...

    # jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us

    I wasn't trying to get any problems solved, just venting my
    frustration and letting others know about the problems with D-Link.
    Actually, things are working quite well now, but it sure was
    aggravating. I've replaced the power supply under my own initiative.

    BTW, the tablet PC isn't mine and I don't know the details of his
    system. It was a relative who had one while visiting me and I told
    him he should be able to use my place as a "hot spot" while here.

    I did make copies of the receipts, but I forgot the UPC code. I
    generally try to avoid mail in rebate promotions. I once had a rebate
    refused by Sprint because I put two in one envelope.

    bs has been included as part of my e-mail address to reduce the
    amount of spam mail. Change the 'bs'in my address to 'bellsouth'
    to send me a message.

    Bill Burlingame

D-Link Power Supplies Wireless Networking