8-second periodic 'sludge' in Diablo II since 1.11?

Hi,

I haven't been able to play much in the new patch 1.11, but I do notice an
effect which is best described as:

Every ~8 seconds the mouse pointer hangs, to resume after that, to only
repeat it 8 seconds later. This is most noticable when moving around
items, it's as if I hit a big lag spike.

Now this is quite possibly happening, but the /fps command is not showing
any big lag spikes. All this on SC Europe Ladder.

I am using a Daemon Tools mounted, Nero made image from the LOD CD to
avoid wear-and-tear on the original CDs. Could it be the accesses D2 does
to this cd-image are the problem?

In 1.10 I was using the D2Loader front-end to avoid accessing the CD's,
but 1.11 broke that one, and reading correctly, the new D2Loader for 1.11
is one of the programs that gets your CD-key banned...?

Any idea, anyone else noticing this? Any solutions?

Regards,

Patrick.

Doodles

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2004

"Patrick Vervoorn" <patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl> wrote in
message news:b5424$430f1bcc$82a1d3bf$31592@news2.tudelft.nl...
<snippers>
> Any idea, anyone else noticing this? Any solutions?
>
> Regards,
>
> Patrick.

I have noticed the same thing, and was going to post a message when I
noticed your thread. I am beginning to think it might be a new "feature" of
1.11 to identify hacks in trading. At first, I thought it might have been
caused by the fact that I am running D2 on a slower machine than normal (800
mHz 256 MB Dell, don't ask), and although that is possible, it didn't behave
this way in 1.10. In fact, I noticed this only after playing 1.11 for
about 2 weeks...I didn't notice the same behavior before the ladder was
reset, and in fact didn't notice it until after the big "Accounts Banned"
announcement.

Questions for the group:
1. How many other people have noticed this?
2. For those that have noticed it, what machine are you running D2 on?
3. Were any of your accounts banned?
4. Does the behavior show up in any area other than trading?

For me, I had no accounts banned, and I have only noticed it in trading. If
not, I would have stopped playing D2, because I only play hardcore, and a
several-second delay would be fatal elsewhere.

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 16:18:08 GMT, "doodles"
<tomfulton53nospammer@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Questions for the group:
>1. How many other people have noticed this?
Me.

>2. For those that have noticed it, what machine are you running D2 on?
Athlon XP 1400 I think with 512MB RAM and a S4? Savage video card
running DirectDraw.

>3. Were any of your accounts banned?
Nope, never.

>4. Does the behavior show up in any area other than trading?
Nope, only in the trade window and inventory window.

New anti-duping code???

- Samiel

In article <4hHPe.4328$L77.2986@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com>,
doodles <tomfulton53nospammer@hotmail.com> wrote:
>"Patrick Vervoorn" <patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl> wrote in
>message news:b5424$430f1bcc$82a1d3bf$31592@news2.tudelft.nl...
><snippers>
>> Any idea, anyone else noticing this? Any solutions?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Patrick.
>
>I have noticed the same thing, and was going to post a message when I
>noticed your thread. I am beginning to think it might be a new "feature" of
>1.11 to identify hacks in trading. At first, I thought it might have been
>caused by the fact that I am running D2 on a slower machine than normal (800
>mHz 256 MB Dell, don't ask), and although that is possible, it didn't behave
>this way in 1.10. In fact, I noticed this only after playing 1.11 for
>about 2 weeks...I didn't notice the same behavior before the ladder was
>reset, and in fact didn't notice it until after the big "Accounts Banned"
>announcement.

So I'm not the only one, and indeed I did _NOT_ notice this when playing
the last week or so in the last ladder with 1.11...

Err, me, but then, I already said that. :)

>2. For those that have noticed it, what machine are you running D2 on?

I notice this on both my gaming rigs: one is a P4-2400, 1G of RAM, 6600GT,
using the Labusch Glide wrapper, the other a P4-1700, 512MB ram, Ti4200,
also using the Labusch Glide wrapper. Both running with original, but
different D2+LOD keysets, both however also using a Daemontools mounted
image of the LOD CD.

>3. Were any of your accounts banned?

Nope.

>4. Does the behavior show up in any area other than trading?

As others have noted, only when moving stuff around in the inventory
window(s) and shop windows, and the trade screen. Rest of the game seems
to run normally.

>For me, I had no accounts banned, and I have only noticed it in trading. If
>not, I would have stopped playing D2, because I only play hardcore, and a
>several-second delay would be fatal elsewhere.

If this is some sort of 'hack-' or 'dupe-detection' cobbled up by
Blizzard, it's bloody irritating! :(

message news:a7e40$430fa339$82a1d3bf$13955@news1.tudelft.nl...
> In article <4hHPe.4328$L77.2986@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com>,
> doodles <tomfulton53nospammer@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >"Patrick Vervoorn" <patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl> wrote in
> >message news:b5424$430f1bcc$82a1d3bf$31592@news2.tudelft.nl...
><snippers>
> If this is some sort of 'hack-' or 'dupe-detection' cobbled up by
> Blizzard, it's bloody irritating! :(
>
> Regards,
>
> Patrick.

Agreed, but on the other hand, it is merely irritating, and only affects the
trade screen, at least so far as I can tell ATM. On the plus side, if it is
in fact something Blizzard is doing against hacks, it is welcome, at least
by me.

Hmmm. I think I'll check my non-ladder characters to see if they exhibit
similar behavior.

Doodles

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2004

"Patrick Vervoorn" <patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl> wrote in
message news:a7e40$430fa339$82a1d3bf$13955@news1.tudelft.nl...
> In article <4hHPe.4328$L77.2986@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com>,
> doodles <tomfulton53nospammer@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >"Patrick Vervoorn" <patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl> wrote in
> >message news:b5424$430f1bcc$82a1d3bf$31592@news2.tudelft.nl...
> ><snippers>
> If this is some sort of 'hack-' or 'dupe-detection' cobbled up by
> Blizzard, it's bloody irritating! :(
>
> Regards,
>
> Patrick.

Here's something to try:

Go into a trading game and see if it happens to you even when you are not in
the trading screen. I did, and no matter where I was in the game, the same
"stickiness" happened. I am convinced its anti-hacking/anti-duping code
that is running whenever a trade window is opened by anyone in the game.
8-player game = more stickiness.

If this is true, I am never playing Hardcore in a public game again.
Period.

RJ

I thought the problem was my pc. I've gotten the lag since the patch.
I noticed it from time to time not specific to the trading screen. Run
FILEMON from SYSINTERNALS and you'll see what is going on. Most
definitely related to anit-hack measures. It's only worth the lag if
they can detect the real cheaters.

In article <QZQPe.2798$rS4.2146@newssvr22.news.prodigy.net>,
doodles <tomfulton53nospammer@hotmail.com> wrote:
>"Patrick Vervoorn" <patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl> wrote in
>message news:a7e40$430fa339$82a1d3bf$13955@news1.tudelft.nl...
>> In article <4hHPe.4328$L77.2986@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com>,
>> doodles <tomfulton53nospammer@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> >"Patrick Vervoorn" <patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl> wrote in
>> >message news:b5424$430f1bcc$82a1d3bf$31592@news2.tudelft.nl...
>> ><snippers>
>> If this is some sort of 'hack-' or 'dupe-detection' cobbled up by
>> Blizzard, it's bloody irritating! :(
>
>Here's something to try:
>
>Go into a trading game and see if it happens to you even when you are not in
>the trading screen. I did, and no matter where I was in the game, the same
>"stickiness" happened. I am convinced its anti-hacking/anti-duping code
>that is running whenever a trade window is opened by anyone in the game.
>8-player game = more stickiness.

I haven't tried it in other types of games, but the stickyness is still
there, with the same periodicity: approximately every 8 seconds the game
just freezes for a moment, then continues. Just playing seems to go ok.

>If this is true, I am never playing Hardcore in a public game again.
>Period.

I can understand this is very dangerous in Hardcore, because the slowdown
also happens if you happen to open the Inventory screen, but continue
playing. The slowdowns then really affect the gameplay!

It's also very dangerous if you are try to move along a bunch of
gems/runes from the cube to the inventory, or vice versa, and have a
socketed item somewhere beneath your cursor along the way. Before you know
it, you drop a gem/rune in the item, so you'd have to Unsocket it. Hasn't
happened to me yet, because I now know of this effect, but still, very
irritating.

Regards,

Patrick.

In article <1125355707.488262.103370@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
RJ <rjjensen@hotmail.com> wrote:
>I thought the problem was my pc. I've gotten the lag since the patch.
>I noticed it from time to time not specific to the trading screen. Run
>FILEMON from SYSINTERNALS and you'll see what is going on. Most
>definitely related to anit-hack measures. It's only worth the lag if
>they can detect the real cheaters.

I don't have access to my D2-gaming rig(s) at the moment, but I am quite
curious what happens 'under water'. Could you elaborate perhaps a bit
what's happening and what D2 is doing?

What files is it opening? And anyone any idea which type of hacks this
would counter?

If this is the price we have to pay for non-functional D2Loader(s) (which
I must admit I used, for it's No-CD function), and the various other hacks
(Maphack, R2D2, and I've seen a bunch of other names in various
screenshots), I'm not sure this is a price I'm willing to pay.

But I am slowly getting used to the ~8-second periodic freeze... ;-\

Regards,

Patrick.

Patrick Vervoorn wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I haven't been able to play much in the new patch 1.11, but I do notice an
> effect which is best described as:
>
> Every ~8 seconds the mouse pointer hangs, to resume after that, to only
> repeat it 8 seconds later. This is most noticable when moving around
> items, it's as if I hit a big lag spike.
>
> Now this is quite possibly happening, but the /fps command is not showing
> any big lag spikes. All this on SC Europe Ladder.
>
> I am using a Daemon Tools mounted, Nero made image from the LOD CD to
> avoid wear-and-tear on the original CDs. Could it be the accesses D2 does
> to this cd-image are the problem?
>
> In 1.10 I was using the D2Loader front-end to avoid accessing the CD's,
> but 1.11 broke that one, and reading correctly, the new D2Loader for 1.11
> is one of the programs that gets your CD-key banned...?
>
> Any idea, anyone else noticing this? Any solutions?
>
> Regards,
>
> Patrick.

The first days after 1.11 i never experienced any freezing situations.
But since 4 or 5 days, the situation has changed in a drastic way...
The freezing periods seems to occur at more or less every 8 seconds of
fluid movements, but they are lasting between 5 and 20 seconds !
And they are happenning everywhere in the game (not just in trading or
inventory windows). It is happenning walking in town or in any battle
field...
At the same time, i can observe strong movements in the fps
rate.Instead of staying close to 85 as usual, they could go down as low
as 5 or 8 for short moments and move anywhere from that level to the
normal one. On the other hand, the ping is almost stable between 80 and
150.
I usually play with 2 computers (sharing the same internet connection)
and the strange thing is that the other one is still having a stable
fps rate at 85 and that he does not freeze!
The main difference between the two computers is that on the one that
is stable, i play with diablo's CD in the CD-Rom while the other comp
has the game mounted with Daemon tool's. I tried to unmount the cd and
play with the physical one, but the situation did not change.
But still, the weird part is that the problems appeared just few days
ago!
Is it possible that Blizzard is downloading micro-patches without
warnings ?
And, AFAIK, using Daemon Tool's is not illegal..or am i wrong?
Of course, i dont use any hacks and was never banned.

I just realized that my problem is a bit different from thread's title,
so i will start a new one..

Louis

"doodles" <tomfulton53nospammer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Questions for the group:
> 1. How many other people have noticed this?

Happens to me when I open inventory, shopping screen, trade screen and
gamble screen.

> 2. For those that have noticed it, what machine are you running D2 on?

Sempron 2400, 1 Gb RAM, ATI 9200

> 3. Were any of your accounts banned?

Nope.

> 4. Does the behavior show up in any area other than trading?

In any item involved screen.

Patrick Vervoorn wrote:
> In article <1125355707.488262.103370@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
> RJ <rjjensen@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> I thought the problem was my pc. I've gotten the lag since the
>> patch. I noticed it from time to time not specific to the trading
>> screen. Run FILEMON from SYSINTERNALS and you'll see what is going
>> on. Most definitely related to anit-hack measures. It's only worth
>> the lag if they can detect the real cheaters.
>
> I don't have access to my D2-gaming rig(s) at the moment, but I am
> quite curious what happens 'under water'. Could you elaborate perhaps
> a bit what's happening and what D2 is doing?
>
> What files is it opening?

Probably:

CmdLineExt03.dll
SIntf32.dll
SIntfNT.dll
SIntf16.dll

They are mainly anti-piracy measures (from what I've gleaned from other,
more knowledgable people than me). The main culprit when it comes to the
slowdown seems to be CmdLineExt03.dll.

> And anyone any idea which type of hacks this
> would counter?

Mainly noCD hacks. I'm reliably informed that some of these files bear a
similarity to Sony's anti-piracy system, SecureRom. Perhaps the ones
begining with 'S'? (Confirmed, SecureRom 4.x) It would appear that there's
one of those for each of the file systems D2/LOD runs on but I think that
CmdLineExt03.dll is able to morph into hunting whatever hacks Blizz want it
to. The name suggests to me that it calls a remote script (server-side) that
could change anytime. (I could be wrong) Anyone trust Blizz enough to think
that they wouldn't maybe abuse the situation? I'm sure it's covered in their
T&C's that you accept when you install. They could be running virtually
anything on your PC during that lost 8 seconds legally.

Some references to it:

http://www.anti-spy.info/process/cmdlineext03.dll.html

This is about the 02 version which *seems* to have been in use with D2 up
until it was superceeded with 03 on patch 1.11:

http://abates.tetrap.com/archives/2004/12/22/cmdlineext02dll.html

Actually this seems to say that the file was there pre-1.11, maybe just not
implimented (as much?):

http://www.xona.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25&sid=6f560387230da9d5ea8fe37fbc08cd7d

I have heard that, if you replace it with a blank txt file as detailed
somewhere <g> the game isn't subject to those 8 second pauses. However I've
not tried it.

> If this is the price we have to pay for non-functional D2Loader(s)
> (which I must admit I used, for it's No-CD function), and the various
> other hacks (Maphack, R2D2, and I've seen a bunch of other names in
> various screenshots), I'm not sure this is a price I'm willing to pay.

I play far less D2 than I used to pre 1.11.

> But I am slowly getting used to the ~8-second periodic freeze... ;-\

Ya, just not sure it's a price I'm willing to pay. I was playing HC before
the patch. Now I'm mainly SC with just a teenager skellimancer in HC.
--
~misfit~ (Out of his depth, as usual)

On Thu, 1 Sep 2005, "~misfit~" wrote:

>> Ditto. I *always* run from an image.
>>
>> (LOL @ the wording of the above. Imagines self walking past a mirror, seeing
>> an image and running.......)

For some of us, that's rather understandable.

I mean....

....who wants to sweep up the glass fragments?

--

Chaos Empire mod: Webwalker

"Patrick Vervoorn" wrote...
> So, who reading this is willing to try to disable this dll and see if that
> fixes the periodic slowdowns? :-\

I tried disabling it two ways. First, I tried the empty text file route,
and bnet just overwrote it with their own. Second. I tried logging in under
administrator (I have Xp home), and removing permissions, but once I
rebooted normally, the permission settings seemed to have no effect.

The file is downloaded as soon as you log in to battle.net, right before the
character screen comes up. I did some poking around yesterday because the
game was unplayable due to the severity of lag.

On that special day, Patrick Vervoorn,
(patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl) said...

> Perhaps someone knowledgeable enough could see what files the
> CmdLineExt03.dll is opening/examining?

Hard to tell,as it is compressed. I had a quick glance with a hex
editor, and couldN't find any interesting file references (maybe I am
too bad at that). The only thing I can teel, at the end it says, it is
a context menu enhancement, whatever that means. And it has a CLSID
{9869EFB4-18E9-11D3-A837-00104B9E30B5} (ie installs in the registry)

Gabriele Neukam

Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de

just so, at no cost.

On Fri, 2 Sep 2005, "~misfit~" wrote:

>> Brian Brunner wrote:

>> > For some of us, that's rather understandable.
>> >
>> > I mean....
>> >
>> > ...who wants to sweep up the glass fragments?
>>
>> Not to mention all the bad luck......

mail that to Kaytie!

--

Chaos Empire mod: Webwalker

On that special day, Patrick Vervoorn,
(patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl) said...

> Anyway, I had some more playing time yesterday, and it could be me, but
> the periodic slowdowns were even more prominent now. But perhaps it
> combined with the rather erratic (and sometimes very high) latency to the
> European Battle.Net server.

I tried the European server, too, because you wrote that. But I
couldn't see these weird breaks. Not even when Shenk died.

I am playing on Broadband, with an Athlon 3500+ machine (it is fairly
new), GeForce 6600 with Labusch Glide wrapper and an image mounted with
Daemon Tools. No lags or freezes. Maybe this is rather a communication
or video driver problem?

In article <df80a8$5qa$04$1@news.t-online.com>,
Gabriele Neukam <Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de> wrote:
>On that special day, Patrick Vervoorn,
>(patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl) said...
>
>> Anyway, I had some more playing time yesterday, and it could be me, but
>> the periodic slowdowns were even more prominent now. But perhaps it
>> combined with the rather erratic (and sometimes very high) latency to the
>> European Battle.Net server.
>
>I tried the European server, too, because you wrote that. But I
>couldn't see these weird breaks. Not even when Shenk died.

What breaks do you mean? Do you intend to say you don't experience the
8-second periodic slowdown, or do you intend to say you didn't notice ping
times of sometimes 1000+ms to the European servers?

>I am playing on Broadband, with an Athlon 3500+ machine (it is fairly
>new), GeForce 6600 with Labusch Glide wrapper and an image mounted with
>Daemon Tools. No lags or freezes. Maybe this is rather a communication
>or video driver problem?

Actually, I notice this on a P4-2400/1G machine, GeForce 6600GT also using
the Labusch Glide wrapper, and a Daemontools mounted image. My broadband
connection is a 8/1M one, so bandwidth couldn't be the problem.

Also, as others have mentioned, this slowdown did not occur in the days
between the introduction of the 1.11 patch, and the ladder reset. It's
only in the new ladder I am noticing this. Also, I did not change anything
in my configuration in that time; no new video drivers, no more
experimenting with Glide wrappers, etc.

Very strang that you are not noticing this 8-second periodic slowdown...
This effect gets weirder and weirder!!

Regards,

Patrick.

On that special day, Patrick Vervoorn,
(patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl) said...

> What breaks do you mean? Do you intend to say you don't experience the
> 8-second periodic slowdown, or do you intend to say you didn't notice ping
> times of sometimes 1000+ms to the European servers?

no 8 second delays, and the ping seemed to be ok, too. My access is via
T-Online, largest provider in Germany and more or less having the best
DSL lines, as the mother company Telekom owns 99% of them.

In article <df9n62$6m1$01$2@news.t-online.com>,
Gabriele Neukam <Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de> wrote:
>On that special day, Patrick Vervoorn,
>(patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl) said...
>
>> What breaks do you mean? Do you intend to say you don't experience the
>> 8-second periodic slowdown, or do you intend to say you didn't notice ping
>> times of sometimes 1000+ms to the European servers?
>
>no 8 second delays, and the ping seemed to be ok, too. My access is via
>T-Online, largest provider in Germany and more or less having the best
>DSL lines, as the mother company Telekom owns 99% of them.

Perhaps I've been unclear, but I'm not experiencing slowdowns which last 8
seconds, but a period 'glitching' which happens every 8 seconds.

In other words, to see it, I open one of the inventory windows, or click
on the stash, and start moving the mouse around, doesn't matter if I
select items to move, or not, but every ~8 seconds, the mouse hangs for
perhaps 0.25-0.50 seconds, to move on after that.

It seems I'm not the only one who experiences this, but it's also
surprising to hear there are people (you for instance) who are not
experiencing this... I'm more or less boggled by this.

Regards,

Patrick.

On 2-Sep-2005, Patrick Vervoorn
<patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl> wrote:

> It seems I'm not the only one who experiences this, but it's also
> surprising to hear there are people (you for instance) who are not
> experiencing this... I'm more or less boggled by this.

How do you think I feel?
I have D2LOD installed on two machines here at work. Both nice Dell
macines. Both nice clean installs from two seperate copies of the game.
One has the problem and one does not.
Boggled squared.
--
Not 1337, 42.

In article <TNZRe.5610$9i4.3079@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
ArtDent <reply@usenet.only> wrote:

>On 2-Sep-2005, Patrick Vervoorn
><patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl> wrote:
>
>> It seems I'm not the only one who experiences this, but it's also
>> surprising to hear there are people (you for instance) who are not
>> experiencing this... I'm more or less boggled by this.
>
>How do you think I feel?
>I have D2LOD installed on two machines here at work. Both nice Dell
>macines. Both nice clean installs from two seperate copies of the game.
>One has the problem and one does not.
>Boggled squared.

Well, I've played some D2 over the last weekend, and surprise-surprise, I
did not notice anymore slowdowns. I muled away quite a lot of gems/runes
and even some items (my sorc even found a usefull item from NM Hephasto: a
unique Grim Shield!), and I did not notice anymore slowdowns.

How are other people's experiences?

Regards,

Patrick.

"Patrick Vervoorn" wrote...

> Well, I've played some D2 over the last weekend, and surprise-surprise, I
> did not notice anymore slowdowns. I muled away quite a lot of gems/runes
> and even some items (my sorc even found a usefull item from NM Hephasto: a
> unique Grim Shield!), and I did not notice anymore slowdowns.
>
> How are other people's experiences?

I played for several hours last night. While the game was playable for most
of the time, there were still those "periodic sludges" now and then which
were rather irritating. I was again killed by monsters across the room, not
only making it ridiculous to think about playing HC, but making me wonder
why I even continue to play on the realms.

I think whatever they are doing on the servers to cause this is just stupid.
It is reducing the enjoyment level of the game tremendously, I hope they
know.

Patrick Vervoorn wrote:

> Well, I've played some D2 over the last weekend, and
> surprise-surprise, I did not notice anymore slowdowns. I muled away
> quite a lot of gems/runes and even some items (my sorc even found a
> usefull item from NM Hephasto: a unique Grim Shield!), and I did not
> notice anymore slowdowns.
>
> How are other people's experiences?
>
> Regards,
>
> Patrick.

Still there, but not nearly so frequently the last couple or three days.
Game stability's still sketchy, though, in that it seems like about any new
game is subject to crash and burn with no warning in the first 15-30
minutes, but if it lasts longer than that it might last for days . . . or at
least hours. :)

--
chainbreaker

In article <O6YSe.6203$4i6.713@tornado.tampabay.rr.com>,
Brian Kastel <be-ar-eye-ay-en-kay-ay-ess-tee-ee-ell@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

>"Patrick Vervoorn" wrote...
>>
>> Well, I've played some D2 over the last weekend, and surprise-surprise, I
>> did not notice anymore slowdowns. I muled away quite a lot of gems/runes
>> and even some items (my sorc even found a usefull item from NM Hephasto: a
>> unique Grim Shield!), and I did not notice anymore slowdowns.
>>
>> How are other people's experiences?
>
>I played for several hours last night. While the game was playable for most
>of the time, there were still those "periodic sludges" now and then which
>were rather irritating. I was again killed by monsters across the room, not
>only making it ridiculous to think about playing HC, but making me wonder
>why I even continue to play on the realms.

Oh dear, it seems I've perhaps used the wrong terms to describe what I
mean. What I am talking about is the intermittent 0.25-0.5 second 'freeze'
when moving items in/between the inventory, stash and trade-screen. This
freeze happens (happened? Keeping fingers crossed!) every ~8 seconds, and
did not influence gameplay in any way (as long as I kept the inventory tab
closed).

I view this as something else from what I did experience a few times this
same weekend: lag waves. It happened at least 2 times my sorc was standing
in an empty room in NM Durance, when all of a sudden the game would go
into 'fast-forward' mode, and some monsters (Stygian Dolls, just my luck)
would 'teleport' into the room, get killed by my merc, and 'you've died,
restart'. Darn. Happy to be playing SC in those cases...

>I think whatever they are doing on the servers to cause this is just stupid.
>It is reducing the enjoyment level of the game tremendously, I hope they
>know.

I have no idea if the lag waves are intentional, but the other
'phenomenon' is something which is perhaps under control of Blizzard,
since that also involved dll's installed together with D2. See this
thread.

I repeat, again: I mean the 8-second periodic freeze associated with
viewing any of the item screens, _not_ lag.

Regards,

Patrick.