Upgrading to XP SP 2...no Hotmail intergration

before I upgraded to XP SP2, I was able to right-click on
the Messenger icon and get directly to my Hotmail account
and could see how many new messages were waiting and also
an alert would pop up when a new message arrived.

Now w/ SP2, the "Inbox" on the Messenger icon in the
system tray launched Outlook, not Hotmail.

How can I reconfig Messenger to my Hotmail settings?

Thanks for your help!

Curt Haase (o=

"Curt Haase" <curt.haase@alumni.umw.edu> wrote in message
> before I upgraded to XP SP2, I was able to right-click on
> the Messenger icon and get directly to my Hotmail account
> and could see how many new messages were waiting and also
> an alert would pop up when a new message arrived.
>
> Now w/ SP2, the "Inbox" on the Messenger icon in the
> system tray launched Outlook, not Hotmail.
>
> How can I reconfig Messenger to my Hotmail settings?
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> Curt Haase (o=

Add your Hotmail email account to Outlook.

I have had that a while ago, but liked opening Hotmail
directly in IE.

Need to find settings for Messenger in order to do it.

Thanks.

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

"Curt Haase" <curt.haase@alumni.umw.edu> wrote in message
> before I upgraded to XP SP2, I was able to right-click on
> the Messenger icon and get directly to my Hotmail account
> and could see how many new messages were waiting and also
> an alert would pop up when a new message arrived.
>
> Now w/ SP2, the "Inbox" on the Messenger icon in the
> system tray launched Outlook, not Hotmail.
>
> How can I reconfig Messenger to my Hotmail settings?
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> Curt Haase (o=

Have the same problem... upgraded to XP2 on both my XP Pro boxes, and
messenger (4.7) no longer logs intergrates to my hotmail account on either
box. Opens Outlook instead. I don't get alerts that I have new mail either,
although it does show other on-line contacts status. Port 1863 opens as
well.

Are you running a router by chance? I have a Linksys BEFSR41. I thought this
might have something to do with the new Windows Firewall not operating
correctly behind the router or not opening all the correct ports??? I tried
turning off the firewall, but didn't help.

John

Yes I am running a Linksys router. I think I just need
to find config settings for Messenger to run a specific
email program when "Inbox" is clicked, but cannot. I've
searched high and low...

Any help?

Thanks.

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

"Curt Haase" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Yes I am running a Linksys router. I think I just need
> to find config settings for Messenger to run a specific
> email program when "Inbox" is clicked, but cannot. I've
> searched high and low...
>
> Any help?
>
> Thanks.

Oops... should have read rest of group before replying. Apparently the new
version of Messenger (4.7.3000) that installs with XP2 no longer supports
Hotmail integration. You have to downgrade to previous version of Messenger
to get it back (4.7.2009). I did and it now works. Get 4.7.2009 here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/messenger/download.asp

See the thread below by user *ProteanThread* and reply by MVP Jonathon Kay
for confirmation.

John
<snip>

Great!! Thanks for your help!

(o=

Hi,

Indeed =)
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

>I have had that a while ago, but liked opening Hotmail
> directly in IE.
>
> Need to find settings for Messenger in order to do it.
>
> Thanks.

You can make Hotmail your default in Internet Explorer.
Tools / Internet Options / E-mail / use the dropdown box on the right
showing the current program set to open your email to select another choice

The old functionality is gone. You can revert to prior version of
windows messenger or use Msn messenger 6.2 available at MS downloads.