Audio Lag Receiving Voice Chat

September 4, 2004 12:36:35 PM

After upgrade to SP2 my microphone works fine and person
receiving my voice receives transmission fine. I have a
very big lag in receiving voice transmissions.
Anonymous
September 4, 2004 1:57:17 PM

"Ron" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> After upgrade to SP2 my microphone works fine and person
> receiving my voice receives transmission fine. I have a
> very big lag in receiving voice transmissions.

Try uninstalling Qos.
Anonymous
September 4, 2004 8:41:23 PM

Greetings Ron,

You may simply need to turn off QoS. To do so, click Start, then All Programs, then
Accessories, then Communications, and then Network Connections. Right click your
network/internet connection, then click Properties. Uncheck the QoS Packet Scheduler, and
try again.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"Ron" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> After upgrade to SP2 my microphone works fine and person
> receiving my voice receives transmission fine. I have a
> very big lag in receiving voice transmissions.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
September 4, 2004 11:11:56 PM

Thank You Jonathan,

I followed your instructions and found QoS check mark
with shaded background that would not allow me to uncheck
the box. I noticed that when I highlighted Qos the
uninstall button lighted up. Is it safe to uninstall or
is there another solution. I am on Dial up with ATT.
Thank you very much for your help.

Ron

Jonathan Kay.

>"Ron" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
>> After upgrade to SP2 my microphone works fine and
person
>> receiving my voice receives transmission fine. I have
>> very big lag in receiving voice transmissions.
>

>.

September 4, 2004 11:53:37 PM

Thank you Stephen,

I am on dial up using ATT, do you see any problems with
uninstalling that may affect ATT connection. Unchecking
QoS box will not work as it has shaded background and
check mark will not remove.

Thanks for your help,

Ron

Anonymous
September 5, 2004 12:21:45 AM

> Thank you Stephen,
>
> I am on dial up using ATT, do you see any problems with
> uninstalling that may affect ATT connection. Unchecking
> QoS box will not work as it has shaded background and
> check mark will not remove.
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
> Ron

Removing Qos has no apparent consequence for non-commercial
environments, that I know of. You might want to research the topic
using groups.google.com You can also reinstall Qos by going to
Network Connections / right-Click on your Local Area Connection/
Properties / Install / Service / Add /Microsoft / Qos
I would think that your audio would suffer because of a dial-up
rather than dsl. I really doubt that uninstalling qos will make your
computer not boot. If it bothers your connectivity then reinstall it.
If it improves your situation then leave it uninstalled.

A chap named slim said that removing the checkmark was
not sufficient for him--he was using pppoe on dsl -- and
he said uninstall. I will quote him:

Slim complained about this situation in: Audio Chat is killing my bandwidth
which is in the microsoft.public.msn.messenger newsgroup and can be
found in groups.google.com Slim blamed it on SP2, then he posted

Solution to audio problems with SP2
"I've posted a few times in the past month that I was having bandwidth
problems while doing audio chat after the SP2 upgrade. I few others have
mentioned the same thing, it appears that the problems occur with people who
have dsl using PPPOE connection.

The solution is to completly uninstall QOS. By simply not checking the QOS
box in the adapter properties is not enough, it needs to be uninstalled.
After uninstalling it, everything is back to normal (pre SP2)."

SH: So I don't know that uninstalling qos will fix your audio, try it,
and if it interferes with your internet connection then reinstall it.
You can search google to see if qos has a greater consequence to booting up.
As long as you can boot up, you can reinstall qos. Maybe you will need
your install disk. I didn't.

September 5, 2004 1:26:23 AM

Thanks again,

I tried uninstalling QoS and since I am on dial-up, a
window came up and said to disconnect to uninstall. If I
disconnect on dial-up I have no ATT connection to right
click for properties to get to QoS. Any suggestions as
to how I might be able to find QoS another route. I am up
against a big block to uncheck or uninstall.
Thanks again,
Ron

Anonymous
September 5, 2004 3:22:04 AM

> Thanks again,
>
> I tried uninstalling QoS and since I am on dial-up, a
> window came up and said to disconnect to uninstall. If I
> disconnect on dial-up I have no ATT connection to right
> click for properties to get to QoS. Any suggestions as
> to how I might be able to find QoS another route. I am up
> against a big block to uncheck or uninstall.
> Thanks again,
> Ron

win98 : My Computer ---> Dial-up Networking /your connection name icon

win xp: Network Places / Network Connections /
should show an icon with your dial-up name
right-click the icon / select properties / Networking tab

If you don't see QoS (which is a Service) under
"this connection uses the following items"
then you can't uninstall it. If it is there, uninstall it.
This is the same place you will re-install it you think that best.

There is no guarantee this uninstall of QoS will work, it just might work.

>>> I am on dial up using ATT, do you see any problems with
>>> uninstalling that may affect ATT connection. Unchecking
>>> QoS box will not work as it has shaded background and
>>> check mark will not remove.
>>>
>>> Thanks for your help,
>>>
>>> Ron
>>

>>Removing Qos has no apparent consequence for non-
> commercial
>>environments, that I know of. You might want to research
> the topic
>>using groups.google.com You can also reinstall Qos by
> going to
>>Network Connections / right-Click on your Local Area
> Connection/
>>Properties / Install / Service / Add /Microsoft / Qos
>>I would think that your audio would suffer because of a
> dial-up
>>rather than dsl. I really doubt that uninstalling qos
> will make your
>>computer not boot. If it bothers your connectivity then
> reinstall it.
>>If it improves your situation then leave it uninstalled.
>>
>>A chap named slim said that removing the checkmark was
>>not sufficient for him--he was using pppoe on dsl -- and
>>he said uninstall. I will quote him:
>>
>>Slim complained about this situation in: Audio Chat is
> killing my bandwidth
>>which is in the microsoft.public.msn.messenger newsgroup
> and can be
>>found in groups.google.com Slim blamed it on SP2, then
> he posted
>>
>>Solution to audio problems with SP2
>>"I've posted a few times in the past month that I was
> having bandwidth
>>problems while doing audio chat after the SP2 upgrade.
> I few others have
>>mentioned the same thing, it appears that the problems
> occur with people who
>>have dsl using PPPOE connection.
>>
>>The solution is to completly uninstall QOS. By simply
> not checking the QOS
>>box in the adapter properties is not enough, it needs to
> be uninstalled.
>>After uninstalling it, everything is back to normal (pre
> SP2)."
>>
>>SH: So I don't know that uninstalling qos will fix your
> audio, try it,
>>and if it interferes with your internet connection then
> reinstall it.
>>You can search google to see if qos has a greater
> consequence to booting up.
>>As long as you can boot up, you can reinstall qos. Maybe
> you will need
>>your install disk. I didn't.

Anonymous
September 5, 2004 3:41:18 AM

"Ron" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks again,
>
> I tried uninstalling QoS and since I am on dial-up, a
> window came up and said to disconnect to uninstall. If I
> disconnect on dial-up I have no ATT connection to right
> click for properties to get to QoS. Any suggestions as
> to how I might be able to find QoS another route. I am up
> against a big block to uncheck or uninstall.
> Thanks again,
> Ron

If there is no dial-up icon in Network Connections there
may be one on your Desktop. I think that if you double-click
that icon it will bring up your dialer. Do not connect.
There should be a Properties tab which will take you to
the Networking tab and Qos listed if it is installed.

I am not sure I remember this correctly. Maybe you can
right-click the icon and choose Properties and get to Qos.
Try the first method I mentioned first.

If all methods fail, you can contact ATT online chat and have a
tech tell you.
September 5, 2004 2:59:49 PM

Stephen,

Thanks for all your help - I tried all of the suggestions
and had no luck in deleting QoS. This morning I sent
email to ATT with description of problem asking for help.
I also try ATT on-line chat. In the meantime if you come
up with another option please let me know. Again many
thanks for all your help.

Ron

Anonymous
September 5, 2004 3:43:20 PM

> Stephen,
>
> Thanks for all your help - I tried all of the suggestions
> and had no luck in deleting QoS. This morning I sent
> email to ATT with description of problem asking for help.
> I also try ATT on-line chat. In the meantime if you come
> up with another option please let me know. Again many
> thanks for all your help.
>
> Ron

Remember not to ask ATT if removing QoS will solve the problem
with your audio and Msn 6.2 because they will not know.
That is not the same as asking how to remove QoS which
may involve a safe boot and the dllcache folder. I don't know if
the ATT dialer software installs and requires Qos, XP doesn't.

This audio problem solved by removing Qos has come up before.

groups.google.com "no audio" thread, by Pez
microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger

"The QoS Packet Scheduler is a network service that is
installed by default, on Windows XP . Under normal
conditions, it should NOT cause voice/video communication
problems in Windows/MSN Messenger. However, recently a
lot of users have been having problem (including myself)
and either disabling it or uninstalling it (dialup users)
seems to allow voice/video chat to work.

The problem just appear out of the blue, as it was
working fine about a month ago. I think it may be a
recent Windows update that may have caused this problem.
The odd thing, is that not everyone is expericing this
problem. MS and Jonathan has been made away of this and
are still investigating.

BTW - Out of curiosity, those who are expericing this
problem. Have you recent installed XP and/or any Windows
updates, ie. SP1a??" [SH: SP2 includes the SP1 updates.]

Good Luck,
Stephen

Anonymous
September 5, 2004 4:23:44 PM

"Ron" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Stephen,
>
> Thanks for all your help - I tried all of the suggestions
> and had no luck in deleting QoS. This morning I sent
> email to ATT with description of problem asking for help.
> I also try ATT on-line chat. In the meantime if you come
> up with another option please let me know. Again many
> thanks for all your help.
>
> Ron

BTW, when you tried to uninstall the Qos; did it refuse to uninstall?
If it did uninstall, did you click OK which saves the new setting?

From Google: Re: Frozen connection: help me please!

"mauro wrote:

> I upgraded my PC with a fresh installation of XP prof. I have a
> Zyxel ISDN TA to connect Internet.
> After the upgrade, I'am having strange communication pauses. I
> connect normally and everything is fine but after random amounts of
> time (from 30 min to 2 hours) my connection just hang.
> The computer is not frozen, just the connection is: even if the icon
> tell me that I'm still connected, I cannot surf, read mail etc, The
> only way continue surfing is to reboot and connect again.
>
> I Never had such problem in the past under Win9x so I'm guessing it
> is about something in Windows XP
>
> Any suggestions on where to look?
> Thanks in advance!

had same probs .,. .. tried all tweeks, and fixes, to no avail .. ..
only thing that cured it was a complete uninstall of QOS packet
scheduler in networking .. .. although QOS was greyed out in settings,
it appears it was still affecting system .. .. since uninstall, there
hasn't been one instance of drop-out, or hang-up .. .. whether this
will sort your probs, can't guarantee... but might give you pointers ..
.. good luck ! "
Anonymous
September 5, 2004 4:34:17 PM

"Ron" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Stephen,
>
> Thanks for all your help - I tried all of the suggestions
> and had no luck in deleting QoS. This morning I sent
> email to ATT with description of problem asking for help.
> I also try ATT on-line chat. In the meantime if you come
> up with another option please let me know. Again many
> thanks for all your help.
>
> Ron

http://www.its.caltech.edu/ra/vpn/clientnotes.html
Microsoft QoS with Windows XP
We strongly recommend disabling WinXP's "QoS Packet Scheduler" while using
the Cisco 5000 VPN client. If you are connecting via a phone modem, the
interaction between the QoS Packet Scheduler and the VPN client software,
even if not in use, can cause serious performance problems. The QoS Packet
Scheduler is apparently intended to make network connections more efficient,
but in fact it appears to be useless unless a given network application is
"QoS-aware", and we don't know of any such applications. In practice, the
QoS Packet Scheduler appears to be useless at best, and can cause problems
with certain network applications, most notably the VPN 5000 client.

You can turn off QoS Packet Scheduler by going into network properties for
each network interface, including modem. You should see "QoS Packet
Scheduler" in the list of protocols under the 'General' tab, with a checkbox
next to it. Just uncheck the checkbox, click 'Apply', and then 'OK'. If the
"QoS Packet Scheduler" option is greyed out, highlight it and select
'Uninstall' instead.

[SH: After you change settings, remember to click on OK, saving it.]
BTW, have you made an attempt to run Netmeeting?

More Luck,
Stephen
Anonymous
September 5, 2004 11:19:18 PM

On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 10:59:49 -0700, Ron wrote in

> Thanks for all your help - I tried all of the suggestions
> and had no luck in deleting QoS. This morning I sent
> email to ATT with description of problem asking for help.
> I also try ATT on-line chat. In the meantime if you come
> up with another option please let me know. Again many
> thanks for all your help.

Ron - With no connection to the Internet, try going into Control Panel
then "Network Connections". Right click yours and choose Properties. Then
choose "Networking". One of the items displayed should be "QoS Packet
Scheduler". Highlight that and there should be an option to uninstall.

--
Mike Coleraine 55.13°N 6.69°W posted 05/09/2004 18:19:18 UTC
Anonymous

On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 11:43:20 -0700, Stephen Harris wrote in

> The problem just appear out of the blue, as it was
> working fine about a month ago. I think it may be a
> recent Windows update that may have caused this problem.
> The odd thing, is that not everyone is expericing this
> problem. MS and Jonathan has been made away of this and
> are still investigating.
>
> BTW - Out of curiosity, those who are expericing this
> problem. Have you recent installed XP and/or any Windows
> updates, ie. SP1a??" [SH: SP2 includes the SP1 updates.]

In my case it only started with the RTM version of XP SP2. Previous builds
didn't cause the delay problems I encountered. Uninstalling QoS seems to
have done the trick though.

--
Mike Coleraine 55.13°N 6.69°W posted 05/09/2004 19:24:52 UTC
September 6, 2004 2:29:24 AM

Hi,

All my problems started with recent upgrade of SP2 to my
XP Home edition. I have the grayed checked box and I
highlighted the QoS and hit the uninstall button. Window
came up that said I must be disconnected to uninstall. I
disconnected from the internet and went to control panel
and network connections. No ATT icon showed up as I was
disconnected. I have found no way to find QoS to delete
it from my system. The ATT icon only shows when I am
connected.
Thanks for your help,

Ron

September 6, 2004 2:52:36 AM

Hi again,

Thank you again for the Help !! Your guidance has opened
the door for me to uninstall QoS - Yahoo !! I made
another attempt to uninstall QoS and found the same
condition grayed check box. I highlighted QoS Packet
scheduler as you instructed and hit uninstall. Window
came up that said "You must disconnect all dial-up, VPN,
and Incoming connections before this component can be
removed". This time I left the window open and I just
disconnected ATT, Bingo the QoS window stayed open and I
was able to uninstall the component. By clicking okay on
the window and then disconnecting was the wrong thing I
did, I had to leave warning window open and disconnect
and it worked great. Thanks again for all the help you
guys are great !!

Ron

Anonymous
September 6, 2004 6:41:42 PM

Hi again,

Thank you again for the Help !! Your guidance has opened
the door for me to uninstall QoS - Yahoo !! I made
another attempt to uninstall QoS and found the same
condition grayed check box. I highlighted QoS Packet
scheduler as you instructed and hit uninstall. Window
came up that said "You must disconnect all dial-up, VPN,
and Incoming connections before this component can be
removed". This time I left the window open and I just
disconnected ATT, Bingo the QoS window stayed open and I
was able to uninstall the component. By clicking okay on
the window and then disconnecting was the wrong thing I
did, I had to leave warning window open and disconnect
and it worked great. Thanks again for all the help you
guys are great !!

Ron

Well, you showed some resourcefulness. Though the purpose
was to fix your audio lag. Have you tested since uninstalling
QoS to see if it actually solved the problem? Maybe we are
to assume the audio is working ok or you would have
complained that uninstalling QoS didn't fix el problemo?
September 6, 2004 7:36:55 PM

Hi Stephen,

I have tried MSN Messenger 6.2 and it works like it did
prior to installing SP2. No more lag !! It works
great !!
Thanks again for your help, you made it happen for me.

Ron

Anonymous
September 6, 2004 9:28:56 PM

> Hi Stephen,
>
> I have tried MSN Messenger 6.2 and it works like it did
> prior to installing SP2. No more lag !! It works
> great !!
> Thanks again for your help, you made it happen for me.
>
> Ron

I'm glad it is working for you! Uninstalling QoS was getting
on thin ice and then I was not sure it would fix your audio
lag if you did uninstall it because you have a dial-up modem.

You must feel very good about fixing your computer problem--
it is pretty easy to get disgusted and give up.

Regards to your persistence,
Stephen
Anonymous
September 13, 2004 9:47:06 PM

Hello,

I too am having the exact same problem.. The 2nd I installed SP2, this
started happening. My Ping (using command prompt 'ping www.yahoo.com') would
show a ping of 500+ when I was in an established Audio Conversation in MSN
Messenger v6.2. and would drop below 30 when I disconnected from the Audio
(note: webcam had no affect on my ping)

being on a DSL I tried the above tricked of removing the QoS on my DSL Dial
up and the network connections and it worked. Now when I'm connected my ping
still stay's below the 30 mark....

!