Why does Microsoft make things so difficult?

Why does there have to be two versions of Messenger (Windows and MSN)? It
just confuses everyone. Why don't they just merge the two together and have
all the features each contain in one program. I have just installed SP2 and
lost the features in Windows Messenger. I have lost the Hotmail feature, and
also the ability to send text messages, which I used everyday. I would
install MSN Messenger, but is it integrated with Outlook Express? NO!Does
Windows Messenger support Hotmail and mobile devices? NO! Thanks a lot
Microsoft. What am I supposed to do? Install MSN Messenger and just sign
in/out between the two for the features I want? I think not! Why can't it
just be like the past when ONLY MSN Messenger existed and everyone was happy?
11 answers Last reply
More about microsoft make things difficult

    Greetings Cody,

    Actually, up to MSN Messenger 5, both Windows Messenger and MSN Messenger were the same
    program (the exact same executable, the application simply just changed the name of the
    titlebar depending on what operating system you were using).

    Unfortunately this is not going to change again any time soon, the Windows Messenger group is
    posed as the client for Live Communications Server and Exchange IM Server for Enterprises,
    whereas MSN Messenger is now geared towards to the public .NET Messenger network and MSN as a
    whole.

    However, the reason why it is a bit of a mess at this point, is because Windows XP was
    designed with the thinking that Windows Messenger would be the only Messenger client within
    Windows. I realize and do agree that this is ridiculous but making design changes within
    Windows itself isn't as easy as it sounds.

    Regardless, one option you have missed here is that you can simply downgrade to the previous
    version of Windows Messenger, giving you back all the functionality you had before. To do
    so, simply download it from here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/messenger/download.asp
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    "Cody" <Cody@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Why does there have to be two versions of Messenger (Windows and MSN)? It
    > just confuses everyone. Why don't they just merge the two together and have
    > all the features each contain in one program. I have just installed SP2 and
    > lost the features in Windows Messenger. I have lost the Hotmail feature, and
    > also the ability to send text messages, which I used everyday. I would
    > install MSN Messenger, but is it integrated with Outlook Express? NO!Does
    > Windows Messenger support Hotmail and mobile devices? NO! Thanks a lot
    > Microsoft. What am I supposed to do? Install MSN Messenger and just sign
    > in/out between the two for the features I want? I think not! Why can't it
    > just be like the past when ONLY MSN Messenger existed and everyone was happy?

    Thanks for the info Johnathan, however, I tried your
    suggestion about reverting back to the 4.6 (?) version of
    WM and it worked for a few days. But as of today it
    suddenly reverted back to the 4.7. When I tried to revert
    back to the earlier version I kept getting a message that
    there was a new WM version and I had to use that one.
    What is one to do? I'm becoming very frustrated!!!!!

    Jonathan Kay.

    >"Cody" <Cody@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    24C8C07824F8@microsoft.com...
    >> Why does there have to be two versions of Messenger
    (Windows and MSN)? It
    >> just confuses everyone. Why don't they just merge the
    two together and have
    >> all the features each contain in one program. I have
    just installed SP2 and
    >> lost the features in Windows Messenger. I have lost
    the Hotmail feature, and
    >> also the ability to send text messages, which I used
    everyday. I would
    >> install MSN Messenger, but is it integrated with
    Outlook Express? NO!Does
    >> Windows Messenger support Hotmail and mobile devices?
    NO! Thanks a lot
    >> Microsoft. What am I supposed to do? Install MSN
    Messenger and just sign
    >> in/out between the two for the features I want? I
    think not! Why can't it
    >> just be like the past when ONLY MSN Messenger existed
    and everyone was happy?

    >.

    Hi BJ,

    The link I provided is 4.7 (there's quite a few versions of 4.7) -- 4.6 isn't allowed onto
    the network. You need to be using 4.7.2009 (which is at

    "BJ" <bhinton@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:894901c49621$9db07190$a501280a@phx.gbl...
    > Thanks for the info Johnathan, however, I tried your
    > suggestion about reverting back to the 4.6 (?) version of
    > WM and it worked for a few days. But as of today it
    > suddenly reverted back to the 4.7. When I tried to revert
    > back to the earlier version I kept getting a message that
    > there was a new WM version and I had to use that one.
    > What is one to do? I'm becoming very frustrated!!!!!

    I think they have to allow people who still use windows 98se and have
    msn im to communicate.

    Microsoft/Msn does not want to lose their subscriber base if they
    took out support for windows 98se, windows me and some other oses.
    This would be a huge loss for them. The lost me when they stopped
    win 95 support. I not using them now. I using another isp.

    Greg R

    >On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 16:55:56 -0400, "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnewsreplies@jonathankay.com> wrote:

    >Hi BJ,
    >
    >The link I provided is 4.7 (there's quite a few versions of 4.7) -- 4.6 isn't allowed onto
    >the network. You need to be using 4.7.2009 (which is at
    >http://www.microsoft.com/windows/messenger/download.asp).
    >Jonathan Kay
    >Associate Expert
    >All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2004 Jonathan Kay.
    >

    >"BJ" <bhinton@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:894901c49621$9db07190$a501280a@phx.gbl...
    >> Thanks for the info Johnathan, however, I tried your
    >> suggestion about reverting back to the 4.6 (?) version of
    >> WM and it worked for a few days. But as of today it
    >> suddenly reverted back to the 4.7. When I tried to revert
    >> back to the earlier version I kept getting a message that
    >> there was a new WM version and I had to use that one.
    >> What is one to do? I'm becoming very frustrated!!!!!

    A2 friend of mine with Windows 95 installed late last year (probably
    October) and still uses IM, I'm not sure if it is the Windows or MSN
    version.
    Nick

    "Greg R" <webworm12@yes.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I think they have to allow people who still use windows 98se and have
    > msn im to communicate.
    >
    > Microsoft/Msn does not want to lose their subscriber base if they
    > took out support for windows 98se, windows me and some other oses.
    > This would be a huge loss for them. The lost me when they stopped
    > win 95 support. I not using them now. I using another isp.
    >
    > Greg R
    >

    >>On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 16:55:56 -0400, "Jonathan Kay [MVP]"
    >><msnewsreplies@jonathankay.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi BJ,
    >>
    >>The link I provided is 4.7 (there's quite a few versions of 4.7) -- 4.6
    >>isn't allowed onto
    >>the network. You need to be using 4.7.2009 (which is at
    >>http://www.microsoft.com/windows/messenger/download.asp).
    >>Jonathan Kay
    >>Microsoft MVP - Windows Messenger/MSN Messenger
    >>Associate Expert
    >>http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
    >>Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com
    >>All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2004 Jonathan Kay.
    >>You *must* contact me for redistribution rights.
    >>

    >>"BJ" <bhinton@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Thanks for the info Johnathan, however, I tried your
    >>> suggestion about reverting back to the 4.6 (?) version of
    >>> WM and it worked for a few days. But as of today it
    >>> suddenly reverted back to the 4.7. When I tried to revert
    >>> back to the earlier version I kept getting a message that
    >>> there was a new WM version and I had to use that one.
    >>> What is one to do? I'm becoming very frustrated!!!!!

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

    Hi Nick,

    MSN Messenger 5 under Windows 95 is still supported.
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    "Old Nick" <hell@downunder.invalid> wrote in message
    > A2 friend of mine with Windows 95 installed late last year (probably October) and still
    > uses IM, I'm not sure if it is the Windows or MSN version.
    > Nick
    >
    > "Greg R" <webworm12@yes.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>I think they have to allow people who still use windows 98se and have
    >> msn im to communicate.
    >>
    >> Microsoft/Msn does not want to lose their subscriber base if they
    >> took out support for windows 98se, windows me and some other oses.
    >> This would be a huge loss for them. The lost me when they stopped
    >> win 95 support. I not using them now. I using another isp.
    >>
    >> Greg R
    >>

    >>>On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 16:55:56 -0400, "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnewsreplies@jonathankay.com>
    >>>wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi BJ,
    >>>
    >>>The link I provided is 4.7 (there's quite a few versions of 4.7) -- 4.6 isn't allowed onto
    >>>the network. You need to be using 4.7.2009 (which is at
    >>>http://www.microsoft.com/windows/messenger/download.asp).
    >>>____________________________________________
    >>>Jonathan Kay
    >>>Microsoft MVP - Windows Messenger/MSN Messenger
    >>>Associate Expert
    >>>http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
    >>>Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com
    >>>All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2004 Jonathan Kay.
    >>>You *must* contact me for redistribution rights.

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

    I didn't word it right.
    Msn im Messenger may still work on windows 95
    However, Msn isp will not. I dropped msn isp anyway.
    Now, I remember why I quit. There were driving me nuts with upgrading
    all the time.

    Greg R

    >On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 10:06:01 +0200, "Old Nick" <hell@downunder.invalid> wrote:

    >A2 friend of mine with Windows 95 installed late last year (probably
    >October) and still uses IM, I'm not sure if it is the Windows or MSN
    >version.
    >Nick
    >
    >"Greg R" <webworm12@yes.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>I think they have to allow people who still use windows 98se and have
    >> msn im to communicate.
    >>
    >> Microsoft/Msn does not want to lose their subscriber base if they
    >> took out support for windows 98se, windows me and some other oses.
    >> This would be a huge loss for them. The lost me when they stopped
    >> win 95 support. I not using them now. I using another isp.
    >>
    >> Greg R
    >>

    >>>On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 16:55:56 -0400, "Jonathan Kay [MVP]"
    >>><msnewsreplies@jonathankay.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi BJ,
    >>>
    >>>The link I provided is 4.7 (there's quite a few versions of 4.7) -- 4.6
    >>>isn't allowed onto
    >>>the network. You need to be using 4.7.2009 (which is at
    >>>http://www.microsoft.com/windows/messenger/download.asp).
    >>>____________________________________________
    >>>Jonathan Kay
    >>>Microsoft MVP - Windows Messenger/MSN Messenger
    >>>Associate Expert
    >>>http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
    >>>Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com
    >>>All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2004 Jonathan Kay.
    >>>You *must* contact me for redistribution rights.
    >>>

    >>>"BJ" <bhinton@hotmail.com> wrote in message

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

    Corrected Post

    I didn't word it right.
    Msn im Messenger may still work on windows 95
    However, Msn isp will not. I dropped msn isp anyway.
    Now, I remember why I quit. They were driving me nuts with upgrading
    all the time.

    Greg R

    >On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 10:06:01 +0200, "Old Nick" <hell@downunder.invalid> wrote:

    >A2 friend of mine with Windows 95 installed late last year (probably
    >October) and still uses IM, I'm not sure if it is the Windows or MSN
    >version.
    >Nick
    >
    >"Greg R" <webworm12@yes.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>I think they have to allow people who still use windows 98se and have
    >> msn im to communicate.
    >>
    >> Microsoft/Msn does not want to lose their subscriber base if they
    >> took out support for windows 98se, windows me and some other oses.
    >> This would be a huge loss for them. The lost me when they stopped
    >> win 95 support. I not using them now. I using another isp.
    >>
    >> Greg R
    >>

    >>>On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 16:55:56 -0400, "Jonathan Kay [MVP]"
    >>><msnewsreplies@jonathankay.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi BJ,
    >>>
    >>>The link I provided is 4.7 (there's quite a few versions of 4.7) -- 4.6
    >>>isn't allowed onto
    >>>the network. You need to be using 4.7.2009 (which is at
    >>>http://www.microsoft.com/windows/messenger/download.asp).
    >>>____________________________________________
    >>>Jonathan Kay
    >>>Microsoft MVP - Windows Messenger/MSN Messenger
    >>>Associate Expert
    >>>http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
    >>>Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com
    >>>All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2004 Jonathan Kay.
    >>>You *must* contact me for redistribution rights.
    >>>

    >>>"BJ" <bhinton@hotmail.com> wrote in message

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

    Hi Greg,

    You can actually dial-up to MSN using a simple Dial-up Connection, you don't even have to use
    their software.
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    > Corrected Post
    >
    > I didn't word it right.
    > Msn im Messenger may still work on windows 95
    > However, Msn isp will not. I dropped msn isp anyway.
    > Now, I remember why I quit. They were driving me nuts with upgrading
    > all the time.
    >

    > Greg R
    >

    >>On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 10:06:01 +0200, "Old Nick" <hell@downunder.invalid> wrote:
    >
    >>A2 friend of mine with Windows 95 installed late last year (probably
    >>October) and still uses IM, I'm not sure if it is the Windows or MSN
    >>version.
    >>Nick
    >>
    >>"Greg R" <webworm12@yes.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>>I think they have to allow people who still use windows 98se and have
    >>> msn im to communicate.
    >>>
    >>> Microsoft/Msn does not want to lose their subscriber base if they
    >>> took out support for windows 98se, windows me and some other oses.
    >>> This would be a huge loss for them. The lost me when they stopped
    >>> win 95 support. I not using them now. I using another isp.
    >>>
    >>> Greg R

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

    They must of change that. Had no idea you could do that now.

    Greg R

    >On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 15:29:40 -0400, "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnewsreplies@jonathankay.com> wrote:

    >Hi Greg,
    >
    >You can actually dial-up to MSN using a simple Dial-up Connection, you don't even have to use
    >their software.
    >Jonathan Kay
    >Associate Expert
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

    Hi Greg,

    Been like that for as long as I remember (it's not heavily documented or but in the software
    as an option though).
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    > They must of change that. Had no idea you could do that now.
    >
    > Greg R
    >
    >>On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 15:29:40 -0400, "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnewsreplies@jonathankay.com>
    >>wrote:
    >
    >>Hi Greg,
    >>
    >>You can actually dial-up to MSN using a simple Dial-up Connection, you don't even have to
    >>use
    >>their software.
    >>Jonathan Kay
    >>Microsoft MVP - Windows Messenger/MSN Messenger
    >>Associate Expert

Messenger Microsoft MSN Messenger Windows XP