can't stop messenger from starting in outlook express

September 5, 2004 3:39:36 PM

I've tried everything, but whenever I start outlook express, the messenger
icon pops up on the task bar. what's the secret procedure for stopping it?
running office 2K2 SP3 under XP.
thanks
Anonymous
September 5, 2004 8:42:53 PM

Greetings,

To fix this behavior, close Outlook Express, then download and run the following .reg file:
http://messenger.jonathankay.com/downloads/stopmessenge...
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"x" <a@b> wrote in message news:10jmctqnubu12e7@corp.supernews.com...
> I've tried everything, but whenever I start outlook express, the messenger
> icon pops up on the task bar. what's the secret procedure for stopping it?
> running office 2K2 SP3 under XP.
> thanks

September 6, 2004 12:01:14 AM

tried that already. doesn't work.

> Greetings,
>
> To fix this behavior, close Outlook Express, then download and run the
following .reg file:
> http://messenger.jonathankay.com/downloads/stopmessenge...
> Jonathan Kay
> Associate Expert
>
> "x" <a@b> wrote in message news:10jmctqnubu12e7@corp.supernews.com...
> > I've tried everything, but whenever I start outlook express, the
messenger
> > icon pops up on the task bar. what's the secret procedure for stopping
it?
> > running office 2K2 SP3 under XP.
> > thanks

Related resources
September 6, 2004 12:02:33 AM

tried that already. doesn't work.

> Greetings,
>
> To fix this behavior, close Outlook Express, then download and run the
following .reg file:
> http://messenger.jonathankay.com/downloads/stopmessenge...
> Jonathan Kay
> Associate Expert
>
> "x" <a@b> wrote in message news:10jmctqnubu12e7@corp.supernews.com...
> > I've tried everything, but whenever I start outlook express, the
messenger
> > icon pops up on the task bar. what's the secret procedure for stopping
it?
> > running office 2K2 SP3 under XP.
> > thanks

Anonymous
September 6, 2004 1:38:37 AM

Hi,

Are you sure you're talking about Outlook Express then?
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"x" <a@b> wrote in message news:10jna7vghkfip8f@corp.supernews.com...
> tried that already. doesn't work.
>

> "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnewsreplies@jonathankay.com> wrote in message
>> Greetings,
>>
>> To fix this behavior, close Outlook Express, then download and run the
> following .reg file:
>> http://messenger.jonathankay.com/downloads/stopmessenge...
>> Jonathan Kay
>> Associate Expert
>>
>> "x" <a@b> wrote in message news:10jmctqnubu12e7@corp.supernews.com...
>> > I've tried everything, but whenever I start outlook express, the
> messenger
>> > icon pops up on the task bar. what's the secret procedure for stopping
> it?
>> > running office 2K2 SP3 under XP.
>> > thanks

September 6, 2004 2:04:46 PM

yup!
my wife uses outlook on this computer, but it's never a problem there. i use
outlook express just to check my mail at work, and every time i start it,
the messenger icon pops up in the task bar showing "Not Signed In" (did it
right now when i went to check this newsgroup!)

> Hi,
>
> Are you sure you're talking about Outlook Express then?
> Jonathan Kay
> Associate Expert
>
> "x" <a@b> wrote in message news:10jna7vghkfip8f@corp.supernews.com...
> > tried that already. doesn't work.
> >

> > "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnewsreplies@jonathankay.com> wrote in message
> >> Greetings,
> >>
> >> To fix this behavior, close Outlook Express, then download and run the
> > following .reg file:
> >> http://messenger.jonathankay.com/downloads/stopmessenge...
> >> ____________________________________________
> >> Jonathan Kay
> >> Microsoft MVP - Windows Messenger/MSN Messenger
> >> Associate Expert
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
> >> Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com
> >> All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2004 Jonathan Kay.
> >> You *must* contact me for redistribution rights.

> > messenger
> > it?

September 6, 2004 8:39:50 PM

ok, sorry. rebooted and it's working now. thanks for the link.

"x" <a@b> wrote in message news:10jorj56lcinj0c@corp.supernews.com...
> yup!
> my wife uses outlook on this computer, but it's never a problem there. i
use
> outlook express just to check my mail at work, and every time i start it,
> the messenger icon pops up in the task bar showing "Not Signed In" (did it
> right now when i went to check this newsgroup!)
>

> "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnewsreplies@jonathankay.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > Are you sure you're talking about Outlook Express then?
> > Jonathan Kay
> > Microsoft MVP - Windows Messenger/MSN Messenger
> > Associate Expert
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
> > Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com
> > All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2004 Jonathan Kay.
> > You *must* contact me for redistribution rights.
> >
> > "x" <a@b> wrote in message news:10jna7vghkfip8f@corp.supernews.com...
> > > tried that already. doesn't work.
> > >

> > > "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnewsreplies@jonathankay.com> wrote in message

> > > following .reg file:

> > > messenger
> stopping
> > > it?

Anonymous
September 7, 2004 3:37:50 PM

Hi,

Glad to hear it =)
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"x" <a@b> wrote in message news:10jpinssg684451@corp.supernews.com...
> ok, sorry. rebooted and it's working now. thanks for the link.
>

> "x" <a@b> wrote in message news:10jorj56lcinj0c@corp.supernews.com...
>> yup!
>> my wife uses outlook on this computer, but it's never a problem there. i
> use
>> outlook express just to check my mail at work, and every time i start it,
>> the messenger icon pops up in the task bar showing "Not Signed In" (did it
>> right now when i went to check this newsgroup!)
>>

>> "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnewsreplies@jonathankay.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Are you sure you're talking about Outlook Express then?
>> > ____________________________________________
>> > Jonathan Kay
>> > Microsoft MVP - Windows Messenger/MSN Messenger
>> > Associate Expert
>> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
>> > Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com
>> > All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2004 Jonathan Kay.
>> > You *must* contact me for redistribution rights.

> the

>> stopping

Anonymous
September 15, 2004 3:09:56 PM

On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 16:42:53 -0400, Jonathan Kay [MVP] pondered exceedingly, then
took quill in hand and carefully composed...

| Greetings,
|
| To fix this behavior, close Outlook Express, then download and run the following .reg file:
| http://messenger.jonathankay.com/downloads/stopmessenge...

Jonathan, I tried to download this file and got the following error message:

Error Copying File or Folder

Cannot copy file: Cannot read from the source file or disk.

Any idea what's going on?

TIA!

Larc

§§§ - Please change planet to earth to reply by e-mail - §§§
Anonymous
September 15, 2004 6:03:35 PM

Hi Larc,

Sounds like Internet Explorer just acting up, if you remove your Temporary Internet Files,
this will probably resolve itself.

To do so, open Internet Explorer, click the Tools menu, then Internet Options, then click
Delete Files.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"Larc" <larc-news@marslink.net> wrote in message
> On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 16:42:53 -0400, Jonathan Kay [MVP] pondered exceedingly, then
> took quill in hand and carefully composed...
>
> | Greetings,
> |
> | To fix this behavior, close Outlook Express, then download and run the following .reg
> file:
> | http://messenger.jonathankay.com/downloads/stopmessenge...
>
> Jonathan, I tried to download this file and got the following error message:
>
> Error Copying File or Folder
>
> Cannot copy file: Cannot read from the source file or disk.
>
> Any idea what's going on?
>
> TIA!
>
> Larc
>

> §§§ - Please change planet to earth to reply by e-mail - §§§

Anonymous
September 15, 2004 10:16:36 PM

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 14:03:35 -0400, Jonathan Kay [MVP] pondered exceedingly,
then took quill in hand and carefully composed...

| Sounds like Internet Explorer just acting up, if you remove your Temporary Internet Files,
| this will probably resolve itself.
|
| To do so, open Internet Explorer, click the Tools menu, then Internet Options, then click
| Delete Files.
| ____________________________________________
| "Larc" <larc-news@marslink.net> wrote in message
| > On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 16:42:53 -0400, Jonathan Kay [MVP] pondered exceedingly, then
| > took quill in hand and carefully composed...
| >
| > | Greetings,
| > |
| > | To fix this behavior, close Outlook Express, then download and run the following .reg
| > file:
| > | http://messenger.jonathankay.com/downloads/stopmessenge...
| >
| > Jonathan, I tried to download this file and got the following error message:
| >
| > Error Copying File or Folder
| >
| > Cannot copy file: Cannot read from the source file or disk.
| >
| > Any idea what's going on?

Thanks for replying, Jonathan. Unfortunately, that didn't help. But it is an
IE problem. When I tried the URL with Mozilla, the file downloaded flawlessly.

It's odd how many problems I've noticed with Microsoft programs and features
since installing SP2. One would think MS would keep their own a** covered as a
priority! ;-/

!