Disk volume error

Status
Not open for further replies.

SOLOblade

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
Im running windows 7,i got a disk volume error,ran a chk disk,said it fixed all the probs.run the maint.on my pc, still read disk volume error,so i bought a new hard drive thinking that i had a bad sector.just checked it (DISK VOLUME ERROR)again.am i just getting bad hd or what .did a fresh install 3 times still the same thing.i dont know if the disk vol error is causeing my games to crash some times,but here lately been crashing alot.not to good on pc but any advise will hlp.THANKS Kevin

daship

Distinguished

He could be on RTM, either legit or not. Im on RTM legit with my technet sub.

Embodier

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2009
Found this forum while google searching this exact problem.

I have a full version of Windows 7 Pro. I have had it for about a week or so now. I was able to get the copy through a partnership with MS through my college.

I'm running a Dell 1520 with a new WD 250gig HD. Every time I run the system check I'm getting the volume error thing pop up. I'm starting to wonder if it's just not some issue with Windows 7 and not my hardware. I have read a lot of other complaints about this on other forums so it seems to be a common problem.

G

I also have the same problem. I have toshiba laptop A355, 4GB 2.00GHZ CPU, 512 VC.
I also ran x64 Windows 7 full version right now, but it was also happened when I ran Vista x64. I will say this is the problem with the x64. I ran x32 Windows 7 on my office laptop, and it works alright.

Embodier

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2009
I also have the same problem. I have toshiba laptop A355, 4GB 2.00GHZ CPU, 512 VC.
I also ran x64 Windows 7 full version right now, but it was also happened when I ran Vista x64. I will say this is the problem with the x64. I ran x32 Windows 7 on my office laptop, and it works alright.

I have the issue with x32 so it's not just a x64 issue.

BTW...have any of you checked your event viewer to see what happened just before the lockup. It seems like right before each lockup there is something up with VSS...I'll try to find the exact messages I get and get back to you on it but take a look and see what you find.

sparkliquid

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
mine even worst, luckily i m not alone! whenever i start my window 7, i need to run the disk check up! and then after i use it for more than 1 hours with gaming and designing, then the cpu usage starting to get higher and higher, until 50 percent and more and wont go down unless i restart the PC. Sigh, wads wrong wiv it man..

Embodier

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2009

So far have been VERY happy with Windows 7. I have not seen any issue like this.

I think my issue, about 90% sure now, is shadow copy. It was locking up at about the same time every day and when I looked at the event logs the last thing that was going on was that process. I disabled it last night so I'll see how it goes the next few days.

Other than that issue I have had a couple other driver issues but nothing major and to be expected with the OS not even being fully released yet.

atrament

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2010
Same problem. I run the chkdsk utility and it doesn't fix the problem.

Also, not sure if this is related, but when I try and install Flash Player it says the file is corrupted, and when I try and delete the folder Windows won't let me.

Specs:
Windows 7 64-bit, running on a Dell Studio XPS 13, 500G HDD. It's only a couple of months old so still under warranty. Should I get Dell to replace it, or is it fixable?

Thanks.

G

I've had the same issue on a new HP Laptop with a fresh install of Win7 on a clean drive with setup formatting the drive. But, on every boot up it prompts to run check disk.

Running check disk to fix system files did not resolve the issue.

What did finally resolve the issue was to run System File Checker. To do this, run command prompt with elevated priviledges and type, C:\SFC /SCANNOW

Hope this helps someone.

NYWinner

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
I've had the same issue on a new HP Laptop with a fresh install of Win7 on a clean drive with setup formatting the drive. But, on every boot up it prompts to run check disk.

Running check disk to fix system files did not resolve the issue.

What did finally resolve the issue was to run System File Checker. To do this, run command prompt with elevated priviledges and type, C:\SFC /SCANNOW

Hope this helps someone.

Hello, re: the tip to run SFC -- I'm not sure where the 'command prompt' is now in Windows 7.
What I did was search for sfc, right click, then run as administrator.
It appears something is running, but no window opened to ask or tell me anything. I checked Task Mgr and Resource Monitor and can't find anything resembling SFC, but there is activity even tho' I'm not doing anything else. The hard drive light is also flickering about once per second. What should I expect? Do I just wait patiently?? How can I confirm SFC is running and fixing any errors?? Where is the command prompt in Win 7?
Thanks for your time and attention.

G

I am having this very same issue and this problem is on a brand spanking new vaio. I've been having problems since like day 2 with the windows 7.....I think the main issue is a "Disk Volume error" wtf? ugh

NYWinner

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
Hi --- this worked for me -- on keyboard, press the windows symbol key and the r key simultaneously -- this magically opens the 'run' window where you can type in the command, with a space between the words, SFC Scannow. Hit enter, let it run till finished. I hope this works for you. If it doesn't, you will need more expertise than I can provide. Good Luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies.