No Sound from Dimension 5100

I recently purchased a Dell Dimension 5100 which arrived on time,
actually two days early. Everything is working fine except for sound.
(I am keeping my fingers crossed after some of the horror stories that I
have read in the newsgroup, but so far, so good.) I didn't order any
speakers figuring that I would just use the Boston Acoustics BA735 three
piece speaker system that I was using with my old Gateway, however when
I hooked them up there was no sound. Does the Integrated Audio card
included with the 5100 support digital stereo output? I thought it
would since it claims to have Digital 7.1 capacity.

I checked the Boston Acoustics website and they say that there have been
problems with getting the BA735 to work with Windows XP, but they only
gave links to Creative Sound and Gateway which I don't think would be
helpful with the 5100. The Dell site seems to be down.

Is there something that I need to do to enable digital stereo output
from the integrated sound card? Or is it only analog? If so, I guess I
could pick up a speaker cable with mini plugs on both ends and hook that
to the BA735's analog input.

If it is a Windows XP problem is there a patch or driver of some sort
that I can install?

I don't really need anything fancy like surround sound for the PC but I
would like some sound. If the 735 system isn't compatible, does anyone
have any suggestions for inexpensive speakers that would be?

Thanks,
Jerry
17 answers Last reply
More about sound dimension 5100

    > Gerald Banks wrote:
    > I recently purchased a Dell Dimension 5100 which arrived on time,
    > actually two days early. Everything is working fine except for sound.
    > (I am keeping my fingers crossed after some of the horror stories that I
    > have read in the newsgroup, but so far, so good.) I didn't order any
    > speakers figuring that I would just use the Boston Acoustics BA735 three
    > piece speaker system that I was using with my old Gateway, however when
    > I hooked them up there was no sound. Does the Integrated Audio card
    > included with the 5100 support digital stereo output? I thought it
    > would since it claims to have Digital 7.1 capacity.

    Looks like you should have digital output. It appears you have this
    setup for audio:

    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim5100/en/om/T81440LRs.pdf

    The Sigmatel STAC9220 documentation is here:

    http://www.sigmatel.com/documents/STAC9220-9221-pb-0-8.pdf

    I presume you checked your various volume control levels?

    Click:
    Start> Sounds,Speech, and Audio Devices> Adjust System Volume> Device
    Volume Advanced

    They should be at midlevel.

    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim5100/en/sm/specs0.htm#wp1052310
    Fromjm what I see at the above, it would seem that the Audio outputs are
    Analog.
    There is no mention of digital sound. The green jack is line out. Blue is
    line in.
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim5100/en/sm/about0.htm#wp1074027

    "Gerald Banks" <gerald.banks2@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > I recently purchased a Dell Dimension 5100 which arrived on time,
    > actually two days early. Everything is working fine except for sound.
    > (I am keeping my fingers crossed after some of the horror stories that I
    > have read in the newsgroup, but so far, so good.) I didn't order any
    > speakers figuring that I would just use the Boston Acoustics BA735 three
    > piece speaker system that I was using with my old Gateway, however when
    > I hooked them up there was no sound. Does the Integrated Audio card
    > included with the 5100 support digital stereo output? I thought it
    > would since it claims to have Digital 7.1 capacity.
    >
    > I checked the Boston Acoustics website and they say that there have been
    > problems with getting the BA735 to work with Windows XP, but they only
    > gave links to Creative Sound and Gateway which I don't think would be
    > helpful with the 5100. The Dell site seems to be down.
    >
    > Is there something that I need to do to enable digital stereo output
    > from the integrated sound card? Or is it only analog? If so, I guess I
    > could pick up a speaker cable with mini plugs on both ends and hook that
    > to the BA735's analog input.
    >
    > If it is a Windows XP problem is there a patch or driver of some sort
    > that I can install?
    >
    > I don't really need anything fancy like surround sound for the PC but I
    > would like some sound. If the 735 system isn't compatible, does anyone
    > have any suggestions for inexpensive speakers that would be?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Jerry

    > Gerald Banks wrote:

    > Yes, that is the setup that I have and yes, I checked the volume levels
    > by going through start>control
    > panel>sound and audio devices, etc. and they were all at midlevel just
    > as you said.
    >
    > Perhaps I didn't plug the cable into the right hole? It looks like the
    > green one is the output I should use. Is that correct? Or should it
    > have been the blue? Actually I tried them both and neither one gave me
    > any sound.

    Audio out is green. You have it correct.

    I recommend that you check the volume control setting on every media
    player that your new computer is equipped with.

    Start Windows Media Player and check to see that the volume control is
    turned up to about midlevel.

    If your computer came with MusicMatch start that and confirm that
    volume controls are turned up to midlevel.

    If you have RealPlayer installed, check the volume control on that too.

    I say this because my parents had the same symptoms on their Dimension
    4600 with integrated sound. I eventually tracked down the problem to
    being the RealPlayer volume control was muted.

    It's a long shot, but you might try it. It worked for me.

    powrwrap wrote:

    >> Gerald Banks wrote: I recently purchased a Dell Dimension 5100
    >> which arrived on time, actually two days early. Everything is
    >> working fine except for sound. (I am keeping my fingers crossed
    >> after some of the horror stories that I have read in the newsgroup,
    >> but so far, so good.) I didn't order any speakers figuring that I
    >> would just use the Boston Acoustics BA735 three piece speaker
    >> system that I was using with my old Gateway, however when I hooked
    >> them up there was no sound. Does the Integrated Audio card
    >> included with the 5100 support digital stereo output? I thought it
    >> would since it claims to have Digital 7.1 capacity.
    >

    > Looks like you should have digital output. It appears you have this
    > setup for audio:
    >
    > http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim5100/en/om/T81440LRs.pdf
    >

    > The Sigmatel STAC9220 documentation is here:
    >
    > http://www.sigmatel.com/documents/STAC9220-9221-pb-0-8.pdf
    >
    > I presume you checked your various volume control levels?
    >
    > Click: Start> Sounds,Speech, and Audio Devices> Adjust System Volume>
    > Device Volume Advanced
    >
    > They should be at midlevel.

    Yes, that is the setup that I have and yes, I checked the volume levels
    by going through start>control
    panel>sound and audio devices, etc. and they were all at midlevel just
    as you said.

    Perhaps I didn't plug the cable into the right hole? It looks like the
    green one is the output I should use. Is that correct? Or should it
    have been the blue? Actually I tried them both and neither one gave me
    any sound.

    Thanks for trying.

    Pen wrote:
    > http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim5100/en/sm/specs0.htm#wp1052310
    > Fromjm what I see at the above, it would seem that the Audio outputs are
    > Analog.
    > There is no mention of digital sound. The green jack is line out. Blue is
    > line in.
    > http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim5100/en/sm/about0.htm#wp1074027
    >
    > "Gerald Banks" <gerald.banks2@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>I recently purchased a Dell Dimension 5100 which arrived on time,
    >>actually two days early. Everything is working fine except for sound.
    >>(I am keeping my fingers crossed after some of the horror stories that I
    >>have read in the newsgroup, but so far, so good.) I didn't order any
    >>speakers figuring that I would just use the Boston Acoustics BA735 three
    >>piece speaker system that I was using with my old Gateway, however when
    >>I hooked them up there was no sound. Does the Integrated Audio card
    >>included with the 5100 support digital stereo output? I thought it
    >>would since it claims to have Digital 7.1 capacity.
    >>
    >>I checked the Boston Acoustics website and they say that there have been
    >>problems with getting the BA735 to work with Windows XP, but they only
    >>gave links to Creative Sound and Gateway which I don't think would be
    >>helpful with the 5100. The Dell site seems to be down.
    >>
    >>Is there something that I need to do to enable digital stereo output
    >>from the integrated sound card? Or is it only analog? If so, I guess I
    >>could pick up a speaker cable with mini plugs on both ends and hook that
    >>to the BA735's analog input.
    >>
    >>If it is a Windows XP problem is there a patch or driver of some sort
    >>that I can install?
    >>
    >>I don't really need anything fancy like surround sound for the PC but I
    >>would like some sound. If the 735 system isn't compatible, does anyone
    >>have any suggestions for inexpensive speakers that would be?
    >>
    >>Thanks,
    >>Jerry

    Thanks for explaining the purpose of the green and blue jacks.

    It looks like I am out of luck trying to get the BA735 to work with my
    5100, probably due to its incompatibility with XP. I couldn't find any
    upgrades for audio drivers on the Dell website. I guess to be on the
    safe side I should order the A425 from Dell. I assume that it will be
    compatible with the integrated audio card that is in the Dimension and
    it is on sale for $40 right now. Anyone have any experience with the
    A425? Would I be better off going to Circuit City or CompUsa for speakers?

    Thanks again,
    Jerry

    I was given a Gateway computer with BA735 speakers. There was no HD so I
    bought one and installed WinXP. I couldn't get the speakers to work until I
    found that the only drivers that worked for the sound card (Creative) were
    Gateway OEM drivers, not drivers from the Creative web site. Sounds very
    proprietary.

    Just a comment. I realize you don't have a Creative card.

    Brian K wrote:
    > I was given a Gateway computer with BA735 speakers. There was no HD
    > so I bought one and installed WinXP. I couldn't get the speakers to
    > work until I found that the only drivers that worked for the sound
    > card (Creative) were Gateway OEM drivers, not drivers from the
    > Creative web site. Sounds very proprietary.
    >
    > Just a comment. I realize you don't have a Creative card.
    >

    > "Gerald Banks" <gerald.banks2@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >
    >> Pen wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim5100/en/sm/specs0.htm#wp1052310
    >>> Fromjm what I see at the above, it would seem that the Audio
    >>> outputs are Analog. There is no mention of digital sound. The
    >>> green jack is line out. Blue is line in.
    >>> http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim5100/en/sm/about0.htm#wp1074027
    >>>

    >>> "Gerald Banks" <gerald.banks2@verizon.net> wrote in message

    Yes, proprietary, that is how it seems to me too. Apparently Dell has
    some kind of deal with Altec Lansing and Gateway a deal with Boston
    Acoustics. I would have thought that any speakers would work with any
    PC just as any speakers will work with any receiver in a stereo or home
    theater system. It looks like that is not so with PC's. Yet, if one
    were to buy a speaker system from Circuit City or some other retailer,
    wouldn't those speakers have to be compatible with most operating
    systems? I will buy the Dell speaker system anyway rather than take a
    chance. That way if there is a problem they will be obliged to fix it.

    Good thinking. The chance of finding drivers for your onboard sound card
    that work with the speakers is slim. A pity as the Boston speakers are nice.

    > Yes, proprietary, that is how it seems to me too. Apparently Dell has
    > some kind of deal with Altec Lansing and Gateway a deal with Boston
    > Acoustics. I would have thought that any speakers would work with any
    > PC just as any speakers will work with any receiver in a stereo or home
    > theater system. It looks like that is not so with PC's. Yet, if one
    > were to buy a speaker system from Circuit City or some other retailer,
    > wouldn't those speakers have to be compatible with most operating
    > systems? I will buy the Dell speaker system anyway rather than take a
    > chance. That way if there is a problem they will be obliged to fix it.

    The A425 is merely an ANALOG 3 piece speaker system. Any
    ANALOG
    system will work fine with the 5100. To use the BA735 you
    need to buy a
    sound card with digital output.

    Pen wrote:
    > The A425 is merely an ANALOG 3 piece speaker system. Any ANALOG
    > system will work fine with the 5100. To use the BA735 you need to buy a
    > sound card with digital output.
    >
    > "Gerald Banks" <gerald.banks2@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >
    >> Pen wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim5100/en/sm/specs0.htm#wp1052310
    >>>
    >>> Fromjm what I see at the above, it would seem that the Audio outputs are
    >>> Analog.
    >>> There is no mention of digital sound. The green jack is line out.
    >>> Blue is
    >>> line in.
    >>> http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim5100/en/sm/about0.htm#wp1074027
    >>>

    >>> "Gerald Banks" <gerald.banks2@verizon.net> wrote in message

    >> Thanks for explaining the purpose of the green and blue jacks.
    >>
    >> It looks like I am out of luck trying to get the BA735 to work with my
    >> 5100, probably due to its incompatibility with XP. I couldn't find
    >> any upgrades for audio drivers on the Dell website. I guess to be on
    >> the safe side I should order the A425 from Dell. I assume that it
    >> will be compatible with the integrated audio card that is in the
    >> Dimension and it is on sale for $40 right now. Anyone have any
    >> experience with the A425? Would I be better off going to Circuit City
    >> or CompUsa for speakers?
    >>
    >> Thanks again,
    >> Jerry

    Success at last! Even though the Boston Acoustics website says that the
    BA735 that comes with Gateway computers is digital only, the
    instructions that came with the speakers say that if no sound is heard
    using the digital connection, use the analog connector, and there was
    indeed one in back of the subwoofer next to the digital input. I went
    to Radio Shack, picked up an audio cable with stereo miniplugs on both
    ends for five bucks, hooked it up and as Pen predicted, there was sound.

    I still don't understand what Dell means when they call their sound card
    "Integrated Audio with Dolby 'Digital' 7.1 capability." Only for 7.1?

    Anyway, the speakers are working. I was able to recycle them after all
    and save a few dollars. Now I would like to find the other sound
    schemes that I used to have in Windows 98, Robotz, Jungle, etc. I'll
    guess I'll have to check that over in the Windows XP newsgroup.

    Thanks to all for their help,
    Jerry

    Thanks for that information Jerry. I'll check the back of my subwoofer. Good
    to know it has an analogue output.

    > Success at last! Even though the Boston Acoustics website says that the
    > BA735 that comes with Gateway computers is digital only, the instructions
    > that came with the speakers say that if no sound is heard using the
    > digital connection, use the analog connector, and there was indeed one in
    > back of the subwoofer next to the digital input. I went to Radio Shack,
    > picked up an audio cable with stereo miniplugs on both ends for five
    > bucks, hooked it up and as Pen predicted, there was sound.
    >
    > I still don't understand what Dell means when they call their sound card
    > "Integrated Audio with Dolby 'Digital' 7.1 capability." Only for 7.1?
    >
    > Anyway, the speakers are working. I was able to recycle them after all
    > and save a few dollars. Now I would like to find the other sound schemes
    > that I used to have in Windows 98, Robotz, Jungle, etc. I'll guess I'll
    > have to check that over in the Windows XP newsgroup.
    >
    > Thanks to all for their help,
    > Jerry

    Gerald,
    If you still have the W98 CD that came with your Gateway, or know some one that has the CD, you should be able to copy them into a folder that you create.

    On my Packard Bell W98 restore disk they are located in the following folder:
    CD:\Win98\WINDOWS\MEDIA

    Then you can copy and paste to the Windows default media folder located at:
    C:\WINDOWS\Media

    --

    Rich/rerat

    (RRR News) <message rule>

    "Brian K" <iibntgyea4 REMOVE_THIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:6ArMe.607$FA3.46@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
    Thanks for that information Jerry. I'll check the back of my subwoofer. Good
    to know it has an analogue output.

    > Success at last! Even though the Boston Acoustics website says that the
    > BA735 that comes with Gateway computers is digital only, the instructions
    > that came with the speakers say that if no sound is heard using the
    > digital connection, use the analog connector, and there was indeed one in
    > back of the subwoofer next to the digital input. I went to Radio Shack,
    > picked up an audio cable with stereo miniplugs on both ends for five
    > bucks, hooked it up and as Pen predicted, there was sound.
    >
    > I still don't understand what Dell means when they call their sound card
    > "Integrated Audio with Dolby 'Digital' 7.1 capability." Only for 7.1?
    >
    > Anyway, the speakers are working. I was able to recycle them after all
    > and save a few dollars. Now I would like to find the other sound schemes
    > that I used to have in Windows 98, Robotz, Jungle, etc. I'll guess I'll
    > have to check that over in the Windows XP newsgroup.
    >
    > Thanks to all for their help,
    > Jerry

    Nice thread, people - with a happy ending. I'll file this one away for
    future reference myself.

    Stew

    Jerry, there are no other outlets on the back of my subwoofer. Mine must be
    strictly digital.

    Brian K wrote:
    > Jerry, there are no other outlets on the back of my subwoofer. Mine must be
    > strictly digital.

    I got my BA735 system back in 1999 when I got my old Gateway Essential
    450. Yours is probably later and I guess they had gone strictly digital
    by then.

    And thanks to RRR_News (Rich?) for the tip about the sound schemes. For
    some reason they were not on the Windows 98 SE disk that came with the
    Gateway, but I found them on the hard drive and copied them by sending
    them to myself via e-mail.

    So all is well. (Except for the noisy three button mouse that came with
    the 5100 which makes a kind of annoying ratchety sound. The keyboard
    seems kind of clattery too, but this is off topic and a simple upgrade
    that I can do later.)

    Jerry

    I look again, at my "PBell W98FE (1st Edition) Restore CD", and noticed that the sound files that were part of the old W98 Themes such as "Baseball". could be found in the folder:
    CD:\Win98\PROGRA~1\PLUS!\THEMES

    Also they may be hidden in the *.CAB files, on the W98 Setup CD

    This just for future reference, if you ever loose those files again.

    --

    Rich/rerat

    (RRR News) <message rule>

    RRR_News wrote:
    > I look again, at my "PBell W98FE (1st Edition) Restore CD", and noticed that the sound files that were part of the old W98 Themes such as "Baseball". could be found in the folder:
    > CD:\Win98\PROGRA~1\PLUS!\THEMES
    >
    > Also they may be hidden in the *.CAB files, on the W98 Setup CD
    >
    > This just for future reference, if you ever loose those files again.

    Yes, I had completely forgotten about the Plus! files. I did a search
    for *.wav files and I found a whole bunch of sound schemes that I had
    downloaded over the years including Star Trek and lots of others.

Dell Dimension Computers