Sign in with
Your question

Help... Partition Magic may of messed up my drive?

Last response: in Windows XP
January 29, 2004 12:18:01 AM

I had a 250gb hdd and I wanted to make a 2nd partition of 20gb with the free space on my 250gb.. So i use partition magic to create new partition and it does so but when it did now I cant access my files... PLease tell me i did not lose them for good. Under used MB it still says 71Gb used but I cant see any files.. and for some reason under unused GB its reporting 250gb just like it is for total space available.. how can this be... please help me some
January 29, 2004 12:59:22 AM

What OS and version of PM are you using?

<font color=red>DCB</font color=red><font color=white>_</font color=white><font color=blue>AU</font color=blue>
Related resources
January 29, 2004 1:08:52 AM

windows XP and version 8.0 of PM

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by 007craft on 01/28/04 10:11 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
January 29, 2004 1:14:35 AM

Read the documentation with PM.

I don't think it is compatable with 250GB hard drives. I might be wrong - check.

<font color=red>DCB</font color=red><font color=white>_</font color=white><font color=blue>AU</font color=blue>
January 29, 2004 1:17:22 AM

Version PM 8.1 is compatable.

January 29, 2004 1:39:30 AM

well that doesent help me now... I want a way to recover my files... and there is no such thing as 8.1? well I cant find it.
January 29, 2004 5:20:14 AM

Look again. There isn't 71GB used. Only 71MB!. This drive is clean. No files reported by the OS. The 71MB is used by the OS and filesystem for various stuff (MFT etc.)
You cannot! use PM to recover the files. The files are gone from the filesystem and thus you need to use some data recovery tool to get it back.
I recommend GDB (<A HREF="http://www.runtime.org/" target="_new">Get Data Back</A>). I have used this with great success a couple of times.

<i><b>Engineering is the fine art of making what you want from things you can get</b></i>
!