windows messenger...auto log in

can n e one tell me how to stop windows messenger from
logging me in without signing in this is becoming
annoying, i get on the net n get interupted by people
messaging me, but i haven't loggeg in,i've looked at
every possible way to stop it, this has only occured
since i put norton anti-virus on, if this is the cause (i
dunno) please help!!!

thanks vikki..x

Greetings Vikki,

Yes, Norton is what's doing this. Recent versions of Norton Antivirus added a new "instant
messaging scanning" feature, which can conflict with Messenger and cause it to also keep
starting. To stop it, open Norton Antivirus (Right-click on the Norton Antivirus icon in the
System Tray/Notification Area (by the clock), choose 'Open Norton Antivirus'), click Options,
then Instant Messenger then uncheck MSN Instant Messenger and click OK.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"vikki" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> can n e one tell me how to stop windows messenger from
> logging me in without signing in this is becoming
> annoying, i get on the net n get interupted by people
> messaging me, but i haven't loggeg in,i've looked at
> every possible way to stop it, this has only occured
> since i put norton anti-virus on, if this is the cause (i
> dunno) please help!!!
>
> thanks vikki..x

lee

I am also having this problem. Messenger is trying to
automatically sign in to a passport which doesnt work
anymore. Ive tried to remove it or stop it automatically
signing in but nothing seems to have worked.

Greetings Lee,

To fix this, click the Start Button, then click the Control Panel. Then, click User Accounts
in the Control Panel. Select the Windows XP account name you're currently logged under, and
then on the left side of the screen, under Related Tasks, click 'Manage my Network
Passwords'. In the window that opens, click the Passport.Net\* (Passport) entry and click
'Remove'.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert