Ironman and Which Patch???

Last response: in Video Games
a b Ý World of Warcraft
September 1, 2005 4:18:56 AM

As much as I have enjoyed World of Warcraft, I kind of prefer the laid
back focus of Single Person Diablo II. Perhaps the teacher was right to
brand me anti-social?

Couple that with the fact that I am very interested in the Ironman
concept -- as in playing one warrior (I guess Paladin wouldn't work???)
character as far as possible, using only things that are found, not
buying things from the shops, etc. etc.

Love to hear anyone else who's limited themselves along those lines and
how it worked for you.

PLUS

I'm reasonably sure I want to keep my 1.09 version of Diablo 2 that's on
my computer. As for 1.10, I'm not convinced I want to move to 1.11. I
have yet to see any real advantages or features that would make me
change...have i missed something or what? Is 1.10 or 1.11 better for
this particular concept of Ironman and/or a more standard game?

There are two questions hiding in there at least. You people have ALWAYS
been extremely helpful whenever I've asked, and I thank you in advance
for your thoughts.

VelvetElvis

More about : ironman patch

September 1, 2005 4:18:57 AM

VelvetElvis wrote:
> As much as I have enjoyed World of Warcraft, I kind of prefer the laid
> back focus of Single Person Diablo II. Perhaps the teacher was right to
> brand me anti-social?
>
> Couple that with the fact that I am very interested in the Ironman
> concept -- as in playing one warrior (I guess Paladin wouldn't work???)
> character as far as possible, using only things that are found, not
> buying things from the shops, etc. etc.
>
> Love to hear anyone else who's limited themselves along those lines and
> how it worked for you.

Durability is obviously your recurring problem when playing IronMan, so
you'll naturally want to focus on a build that is not likely to suffer
many physical hits. A sorceress, necromancer or trap assassin come to
mind here.

However, if you prefer the melee route (don't we all), then you'll want
to minimize your dependence upon your weapon damage & armor defense.
This suggests using elemental damage to supplement the weapons physical
damage, and using a shield for block in lieue of heavy armor defense.
This pretty much eliminates the barbarian, since he can't supplement
physical damage with elemental damage very easily.

I think Amazon, Assassin, Paladin and Druid are all good candidates for
melee ironmen. Which one you want is just a matter of playstyle.

( OTOH, playing untwinked is hard enough as-is without the added
complication of ironman rules. Try simply playing without scrolls! The
only way to get home is a WP, and the only way to id stuff is Caine.
This adds a lot of difficulty to the game, AND it makes the lame portal
shrines A LOT more useful. )

-Jason
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
September 1, 2005 1:15:30 PM

VelvetElvis schrieb:
> As much as I have enjoyed World of Warcraft, I kind of prefer the laid
> back focus of Single Person Diablo II. Perhaps the teacher was right to
> brand me anti-social?

Hehe. I know how you feel :) .

> Couple that with the fact that I am very interested in the Ironman
> concept -- as in playing one warrior (I guess Paladin wouldn't work???)
> character as far as possible, using only things that are found, not
> buying things from the shops, etc. etc.

I've heard of a solo Ironman Paladin (Hammerdin) who made it into early
hell. Not really a warrior type though. Zealot might work in 1.10 due to
the Zeal/Sacrifice synergy.

> Love to hear anyone else who's limited themselves along those lines and
> how it worked for you.
>
> PLUS
>
> I'm reasonably sure I want to keep my 1.09 version of Diablo 2 that's on
> my computer. As for 1.10, I'm not convinced I want to move to 1.11. I
> have yet to see any real advantages or features that would make me
> change...have i missed something or what? Is 1.10 or 1.11 better for
> this particular concept of Ironman and/or a more standard game?

1.10 (or 1.11, none of the changes is important for Ironman gameplay)
allows some build variants for Ironman that won't make it far in 1.09,
i.e. Dragon Talon Kicksin. You can repair items in the cube in 1.10
(requires an ORT or RAL though). MSLEB are no danger anymore, but FE
bosses are. Stamina, Thawing and Antidote potions have a real use now.
Nightmare and expecially Hell are a lot more difficult. Only one of my
1.10 Ironman projects made it into Hell and stalled in early act 1
because of boredom.

I'd say 1.10 is worth trying for Ironman because it's different from
1.09. But don't expect to be able to beat Hell difficulty (well, not
within a reasonable timespan).

---
Hannes
!