Voice Conversations with Windows Messenger

Hi, Wondering if someone could help me. I'm using the latest version of
windows messenger and trying to start a voice conversation. When we try to
start it, we both get the message at the bottom of the messenger window
saying "connecting.." etc, but after a few seconds it just times out.
Likewise with file sending, often, but not always, the connection cannot be
established to send the file. We are both using zonealarms free firewall,
but we have switched it off to try starting voice conversations and still
nothing. Are there limits on the sizes of files to be shared or the distance
over which voice conversations can be carried? I should add that my friend
is signed into windows messenger with his yahoo.ie address, could this be
responsible? Thanks in advance for your help!!

Ok, to put it another way, is there a way i can find out from the control
panel of my computer what the various routers etc are that may be in place or
what may be preventing the connection going through. My friend gets an error
message saying that he could not connect because of problems with my
computer. My computer has a local area connection and an internet
connection. I'm not sure what i should be looking for to ascertain the cause
of the blockage. Also how do i find out if i have Universal Plugnplay or if
my system will support it? I have windows xp home edition but have not
installed SP2. Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to give me!

"Nando" <Nando@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Ok, to put it another way, is there a way i can find out from the control
> panel of my computer what the various routers etc are that may be in place
> or
> what may be preventing the connection going through. My friend gets an
> error
> message saying that he could not connect because of problems with my
> computer. My computer has a local area connection and an internet
> connection. I'm not sure what i should be looking for to ascertain the
> cause
> of the blockage. Also how do i find out if i have Universal Plugnplay or
> if
> my system will support it? I have windows xp home edition but have not
> installed SP2. Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to give me!

When they talk about UPnP for Messenger they mean something
you enable first in the router and can turn on a couple of services in XP.

They don't mean the Universal Plug and Play that will recognize
new devices and install drivers, though the concept is a bit similar.