New Beginning -- Seeks Advice

I've tried various games -- like World of Warcraft which has bored me to
tears after a few months and Guild Wars which is just too cold and
distant for my taste.

Yes, I'm going back to Diablo II. (It's either that or Wizardy 8, but I"m
not sure I have the will for that one!)

Play like I'm just starting out.

I like Melee, Paladin, Barbarian. Hell, even Amazon bows! I'm ok with
but not wild about Necromancer and Sorceress. Druids seem worthless to
me.

I want to play straight games, not twinked or items spirited over from
other builds.

Any suggestions? What version? Early on like 1.02? Later like 1.09? New
1.11?

What about a good build to work through? Paladin with conversion? No
hammers, please. Barbarian with bazooka?

Ok, reach back into your Diablo book of knowledge and feel free to
suggest!

Thanks!

Swami River
13 answers Last reply
More about beginning seeks advice

    SwamiRiver wrote:
    > I've tried various games -- like World of Warcraft which has bored me to
    > tears after a few months and Guild Wars which is just too cold and
    > distant for my taste.
    >
    > Yes, I'm going back to Diablo II. (It's either that or Wizardy 8, but I"m
    > not sure I have the will for that one!)

    Welcome back!

    > Play like I'm just starting out.
    >
    > I like Melee, Paladin, Barbarian. Hell, even Amazon bows! I'm ok with
    > but not wild about Necromancer and Sorceress. Druids seem worthless to
    > me.
    >
    > I want to play straight games, not twinked or items spirited over from
    > other builds.
    >
    > Any suggestions? What version? Early on like 1.02? Later like 1.09? New
    > 1.11?

    Go straight to 1.11. Everyone here is on that (except for a few CE Mod
    phreaks [sic]).

    > What about a good build to work through? Paladin with conversion? No
    > hammers, please. Barbarian with bazooka?

    Is is simply your goal to finish the game, or to finish the game in
    style? are you HC? I'd start with a simple concentrate/berserk 1h
    weapon & shield combo. That's great to get you back in the game. He's
    durable, has good defense, is a stable killer, and generally can go
    anywhere solo. The only drawback is that he's slooooow, but that's only
    really an issue in a multiplayer game (where the tempo is generally too
    fast for my tastes anyway).

    -Jason

    I should really get a cut-and-paste answer prepared for this one.

    The answer is... it depends. What are your goals? Are you
    intending to finish hell? Start hell? Magic Find? Softcore?
    Hardcore? etc. etc. Anyway, all that aside and assuming you want
    to finish hell, you have easy options and hard options.

    "Easy" options are basically spell casters and ranged chars (in my
    opinion) in this order: Skellimancer, Hammerdin, Trapsin, Various
    Bone/CE Necro variants, Lightning Zon, Wind Druid, CookieSorc.
    "Hard" options are meleers: kicksin, weredruid, melee barb, melee
    pally (probably in that order). Most others are more difficult
    variants for "experts" or rich players.

    For an interesting challenge - not too hard and not too easy with
    possibilities to complete hell I would recommend a weredruid with
    fury and fireclaws or a kicksin with 20 points in dragon talon,
    venom and death sentry, a point in blade fury and a few points in
    shadow master.

    Version: 1.11 (why not?)

    Ian

    SwamiRiver wrote:
    > To respond particularly to your kind words (and the other posting I saw
    > this morning) help me understand 1.11. For the average player, what has
    > it done? I know 1.10 really tilted the balance away from melee and
    > favored magic, killing bowazons in the process. Any such defining
    > characteristic with 1.11?

    1.10 (and 1.11) basically made the game more like real life, where
    attacking melee style is a lot less prefered than attacking from a
    distance, and using henchmen/minions is even better (since it's their
    skin, not yours, that gets fried).

    That said, melee chars are still very viable, you just have to
    understand and appreciate all of the crowd control skills that are
    available, and be a lot more patient than previously. 1.10 added
    synergies, which act like masteries in many ways, allowing you to pump
    up damage far beyond what was previously possible. However, to use
    synergies, you need to sacrifice a lot of flexibility. That's ok in
    party play, but deadly for solo players. The only synergy (barbarian
    wise) that is really nice is the battle orders -> concentrate synergy.
    Those two seem to go hand in hand. (Also the war cries adding to each
    other's durations is very nice, making battle command and shout
    one-point-wonders).

    -Jason

    "SwamiRiver" <dearme@so.xyz> wrote in message
    > I've tried various games -- like World of Warcraft which has bored me to
    > tears after a few months and Guild Wars which is just too cold and
    > distant for my taste.
    >
    > Yes, I'm going back to Diablo II. (It's either that or Wizardy 8, but I"m
    > not sure I have the will for that one!)
    >
    > Play like I'm just starting out.
    >
    > I like Melee, Paladin, Barbarian. Hell, even Amazon bows! I'm ok with
    > but not wild about Necromancer and Sorceress. Druids seem worthless to
    > me.
    >
    > I want to play straight games, not twinked or items spirited over from
    > other builds.

    Try a fanta/zeal paladin, easy to find weapons that are good enough, paladin
    shields are plentiful and can have great mods. Plan on using a throwing
    weapon or bow on switch to deal with the iron maiden spell cast by the OK
    knights.

    This character is easy to play, has decent crowd control skills, and is a
    fast killer. For success in hell, you'll need good items, but all melee
    characters do. Hopefully by then, you'll have found some, or be able to
    gamble/craft/runeword whatever you need.

    > Any suggestions? What version? Early on like 1.02? Later like 1.09? New
    > 1.11?

    If you plan on playing on the realms (closed b'net), you won't have a
    choice, it must be 1.11

    1.10 & 1.11 are MUCH harder in hell difficulty than any previous versions,
    but I'd suggest 1.11 even for single player play, as that's what the
    community is playing now.

    > What about a good build to work through? Paladin with conversion? No
    > hammers, please. Barbarian with bazooka?
    >
    > Ok, reach back into your Diablo book of knowledge and feel free to
    > suggest!
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Swami River

    Here is a link for some ideas on character builds:
    http://www.theamazonbasin.com/d2/d2_guides.php

    Good luck,

    Ruben

    On 2 Sep 2005 08:43:37 -0700, Ian Oversby wrote:

    > Version: 1.11 (why not?)

    Possible reason why 1.09 might be better for him is because he wants to
    play SP only. 1.10 and 1.11 are not all that much fun in SP Hell.

    M.

    On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 14:35:27 GMT, SwamiRiver <dearme@so.xyz> wrote:

    >Yes, I'm going back to Diablo II. (It's either that or Wizardy 8, but I"m
    >not sure I have the will for that one!)

    Yeah I do that from time to time too. Oldies but goodies...

    >Play like I'm just starting out.

    Untwinked is the best way to play.

    >I like Melee, Paladin, Barbarian. Hell, even Amazon bows! I'm ok with
    >but not wild about Necromancer and Sorceress. Druids seem worthless to
    >me.

    Tried Javazon yet? It's surprisingly fun, and they're some great tanks when they
    need to be as well.

    Also, Druids are generally boring/unattractive to me, too, but I played a Wind
    druid to about 60th level or so (got all the way through nightmare mode into
    act1/hell), and once you hit 30th, you can pretty much just keep cyclone running
    and watch stuff die. Crank it to players 8 and enjoy. :)

    The link is here:
    http://strategy.diabloii.net/news.php?id=547

    >I want to play straight games, not twinked or items spirited over from
    >other builds.

    That's the best way to play, like I said above.

    >Any suggestions? What version? Early on like 1.02? Later like 1.09? New
    >1.11?

    Always the latest version, man.

    >What about a good build to work through? Paladin with conversion? No
    >hammers, please. Barbarian with bazooka?

    ASSASSIN
    In 1.09d I liked the hybrid assassin which goes something like:

    tiger claw
    max phoenix strike
    claw mastery
    burst of speed
    1 fade
    1 mind blast
    shadow master
    1 death sentry

    AMAZON
    I also liked the javazon which goes something like:
    max lightning fury
    5 dodge
    1 avoid
    5 evade
    valkyrie
    1 decoy
    1 slow missiles

    you can throw in some guided arrow and bow skills if you want to be hybrid like
    flux's guide (http://www.diabloii.net/strategy/x-guides/javazon_Flux1.shtml)
    suggests. i personally don't like the buriza and kuko is a pathetic substitute,
    and nothing else reaches near that kind of damage output/piercing/cold damage so
    i just tend to do without bows.

    BARBARIAN
    Never played a barb (usually in most games i think barbarians are stupid and
    lack a requirement of player skill) but I think this build looks interesting:
    http://strategy.diabloii.net/news.php?id=506

    PALADIN
    I pretty much prefer the Avenger paladin over all other variations:
    http://strategy.diabloii.net/news.php?id=510

    I usually don't go all the way to max level, though (usually top out at 75 or
    80, highest I've ever gone is 85), so I usually go with

    20 conviction
    5 holy shield
    10 resist fire
    10 resist lightning
    10 resist cold
    20 vengeance

    the other 15 points in holy shield is mainly just for defense rating anyway, as
    far as i can tell.

    >Ok, reach back into your Diablo book of knowledge and feel free to
    >suggest!

    See above, then.

    >Thanks!

    You're welcome, Swami.

    cheers,
    eudas
    Inside of every silver lining, there's a big, dark cloud.

    On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 05:38:19 GMT, eudas <eudas@kdi.com> wrote:

    >AMAZON
    >I also liked the javazon which goes something like:
    >max lightning fury
    >5 dodge
    >1 avoid
    >5 evade
    >valkyrie
    >1 decoy
    >1 slow missiles
    >
    >you can throw in some guided arrow and bow skills if you want to be hybrid like
    >flux's guide (http://www.diabloii.net/strategy/x-guides/javazon_Flux1.shtml)
    >suggests. i personally don't like the buriza and kuko is a pathetic substitute,
    >and nothing else reaches near that kind of damage output/piercing/cold damage so
    >i just tend to do without bows.

    i forgot to mention that on this build i usually put 1 point into jab as well.

    eudas
    Inside of every silver lining, there's a big, dark cloud.

    Good point! :)

    Ian

    eudas <eudas@kdi.com> wrote in

> [...]
    > http://strategy.diabloii.net/news.php?id=510
    >
    > I usually don't go all the way to max level, though (usually top out
    > at 75 or 80, highest I've ever gone is 85), so I usually go with
    >
    > 20 conviction
    > 5 holy shield
    > 10 resist fire
    > 10 resist lightning
    > 10 resist cold
    > 20 vengeance
    >
    > the other 15 points in holy shield is mainly just for defense rating
    > anyway, as far as i can tell.
    >
    >>Ok, reach back into your Diablo book of knowledge and feel free to
    >>suggest!
    >
    > See above, then.
    >
    >>Thanks!
    >
    > You're welcome, Swami.
    >
    > cheers,
    > eudas
    > Inside of every silver lining, there's a big, dark cloud.

    Just wanted to take a moment and thank you personally for such a great
    post. Spending any time on the Net, either on what's left of Usenet or
    over in forums, will tell anyone that your reply is wonderful and rare.

    Best wishes to you.

    Swami

    On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 21:10:21 GMT, SwamiRiver <dearme@so.xyz> wrote:

    >Just wanted to take a moment and thank you personally for such a great
    >post. Spending any time on the Net, either on what's left of Usenet or
    >over in forums, will tell anyone that your reply is wonderful and rare.
    >
    >Best wishes to you.
    >
    >Swami

    thank you sir, you are most welcome.

    if you wish further advice, feel free to consult me.

    On Tue, 6 Sep 2005, "~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahoot.co.nz> wrote:

    >> eudas wrote:
    >>
    >> <Snip>
    >>
    >> > eudas
    >> > Inside of every silver lining, there's a big, dark cloud.
    >>
    >> Shouldn't that be "*Outside* of every silver lining there's a big, dark
    >> cloud."?

    No.

    >> Last time I looked the word 'lining' refered to the inside of something.
    >> Sorry to be pedantic, I can't help it. :-)

    We know. so we'll be patient.

    "Every dark cloud has its silver lining" => "inside every silver lining
    is a big dark cloud". The (silver) lining is the same, the content of
    said lining is the same, the perspective has switched.

    --

    Chaos Empire mod: Webwalker

    On Tue, 6 Sep 2005, "~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahoot.co.nz> wrote:

    >> Brian Brunner wrote:
    >> > "Every dark cloud has its silver lining" => "inside every silver
    >> > lining is a big dark cloud". The (silver) lining is the same, the
    >> > content of said lining is the same,
    >>
    >> Lining, by definition, doesn't have 'content'.

    The lining of my chest cavity (parapleura) has no content? I know it
    has lungs in it.
    My pericardium has no content? That's where my heart is... I hope I
    have one...

    >> > the perspective has switched.
    >>
    >> Drugs will do that to you.

    I said nothing about the sobriety of the person engaging in the
    perspective switch. Cerebral Toxicity is NOT my bailiwick. I can,
    however, parse the expressions: Every dark cloud has it's silver lining,
    and every silver lining has a dark cloud in it.

    (I don't personally agree with the logic there, as A->B does not certify
    that B->A; if every dark cloud has it's silver lining, then there are at
    least as many silver linings as there are dark clouds; now, if there are
    more silver linings than there are dark clouds then (barring the
    possibility that any one dark cloud may have more than one silver
    lining) there are at least some silver linings that do NOT have dark
    clouds in them.)

    *sigh* logic is so un-welcome in so many places...

    ....like for example say City Design and Maintenance...

    ....and for another example Disaster Response and Management...

    *shudder*

    --

    Chaos Empire mod: Webwalker

    amusing. i never expected my simple pessimistic reversal of an old optimistic
    saying to stimulate such intense debate and commentary. :)

    eudas
    Inside of every silver lining, there's a big, dark cloud.

Games World Of Warcraft Video Games