Newbie Question - Minus Resist

I am now in NM Act I. I just found a Wormskull Bone Helm with +1 Nec Skills.
When I put it on I noticed that 3 of my resist went to -11(I was wearing a
Soul Veil Circlet). So I started to remove other gear and realized that when
I remove the Circlet and my Ghoul Emblem Mummified Trophy shield those 3
resist drop to -30 and the other to -27!!! What caused this? Can it be
fixed?

Another thing is that when I put the Bone Helm on my Attack Damage jumped
+60(though it didn't mention this bonus) so I put it on my Merc and it added
+79 to his damage. Why the difference?

So now I have the option of raising my Nec Skills by 1 and being in the
minus for resist or let my Merc wear it and let him kick even more ass(when
I can get his butt in the combat zone). Any advice?

Roland

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003

Roland wrote:
> I am now in NM Act I. I just found a Wormskull Bone Helm with +1 Nec Skills.
> When I put it on I noticed that 3 of my resist went to -11(I was wearing a
> Soul Veil Circlet). So I started to remove other gear and realized that when
> I remove the Circlet and my Ghoul Emblem Mummified Trophy shield those 3
> resist drop to -30 and the other to -27!!! What caused this? Can it be
> fixed?

This is normal behaviour. No fixing needed.

Base resists for each difficulty:
Normal:_______0
Nightmare:___-40
Hell:________-100

> Another thing is that when I put the Bone Helm on my Attack Damage jumped
> +60(though it didn't mention this bonus) so I put it on my Merc and it added
> +79 to his damage. Why the difference?

Does this item add strength? Each point in strength typically adds 1%
more damage per melee attack.

> So now I have the option of raising my Nec Skills by 1 and being in the
> minus for resist or let my Merc wear it and let him kick even more ass(when
> I can get his butt in the combat zone). Any advice?

You do NOT want negative resists. -11 resists means you take 11%
additional damage per attack, and that is very bad thing. Each item can
add to +resists. The max is (usually) 75. This is your target level of
resistance.

-Jason

Roland wrote:

> I am now in NM Act I. I just found a Wormskull Bone Helm with +1 Nec Skills.
> When I put it on I noticed that 3 of my resist went to -11(I was wearing a
> Soul Veil Circlet). So I started to remove other gear and realized that when
> I remove the Circlet and my Ghoul Emblem Mummified Trophy shield those 3
> resist drop to -30 and the other to -27!!! What caused this? Can it be
> fixed?

NM starts with negative resists, Hell starts with even more negative
resists. That's just one of the things that make's nightmare nightmarish.

What you have to do is find and equip ever more stuff with higher plus
to resists.

You also lose experience if you die.

"Jason" <marlaque@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Roland wrote:
> > I am now in NM Act I. I just found a Wormskull Bone Helm with +1 Nec
Skills.
> > When I put it on I noticed that 3 of my resist went to -11(I was wearing
> > Soul Veil Circlet). So I started to remove other gear and realized that
when
> > I remove the Circlet and my Ghoul Emblem Mummified Trophy shield those 3
> > resist drop to -30 and the other to -27!!! What caused this? Can it be
> > fixed?
> >

> This is normal behaviour. No fixing needed.
>
> Base resists for each difficulty:
> Normal:_______0
> Nightmare:___-40
> Hell:________-100

Good info to remember.

> > Another thing is that when I put the Bone Helm on my Attack Damage
jumped
> > +60(though it didn't mention this bonus) so I put it on my Merc and it
added
> > +79 to his damage. Why the difference?
> >

> Does this item add strength? Each point in strength typically adds 1%
> more damage per melee attack.

No strength mentioned.

> > So now I have the option of raising my Nec Skills by 1 and being in the
> > minus for resist or let my Merc wear it and let him kick even more
ass(when
> > I can get his butt in the combat zone). Any advice?
>
> You do NOT want negative resists. -11 resists means you take 11%
> additional damage per attack, and that is very bad thing. Each item can
> add to +resists. The max is (usually) 75. This is your target level of
> resistance.
>
> -Jason

Thanks Jason. I really didn't like seeing those minus #'s and gave it to my
Merc anyway(almost doubled his damage). And using that formula means that
having +50 resist means I only take half the damage, right? I did notice
that my resist max out in Gold at 75. Is it impossible to get +100 resist?

Roland

"no one" <noone@nowhere.nohow.invalid> wrote in message
> Roland wrote:
>
> > I am now in NM Act I. I just found a Wormskull Bone Helm with +1 Nec
Skills.
> > When I put it on I noticed that 3 of my resist went to -11(I was wearing
> > Soul Veil Circlet). So I started to remove other gear and realized that
when
> > I remove the Circlet and my Ghoul Emblem Mummified Trophy shield those 3
> > resist drop to -30 and the other to -27!!! What caused this? Can it be
> > fixed?
>
> NM starts with negative resists, Hell starts with even more negative
> resists. That's just one of the things that make's nightmare nightmarish.
>
> What you have to do is find and equip ever more stuff with higher plus
> to resists.
>
> You also lose experience if you die.

Interesting. If I was only 1000 xp into level 40 and died and lost more than
that in xp would I lose my level?