Wireless Camera's?

Richard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Wanting to set up 1 or 2 cam's (wireless) for my home (front and back
outside). Looking for suggestions on good units that will work with and
thru my wireless router (Netgear).

Any comments on your experiences are appreciated.

Richard <dryland@3-eagles.com> wrote:

>Wanting to set up 1 or 2 cam's (wireless) for my home (front and back
>outside). Looking for suggestions on good units that will work with and
>thru my wireless router (Netgear).
>
>Any comments on your experiences are appreciated.

How much do you want to spend?

I've tried both the Netgear and the DLink DCS-1000. They run around $200. At
this price point, you get a functional unit, but just. Neither handles low light
very well, both are very sensitive to bright light, low contrast (snow, sand)
and wash out easily. Both are for heated, indoor use only. Both have to be
positioned carefully so as not to be looking at the sun, but that's true of
almost any camera.

One of the two (sorry, forgot which) requires that you host the Java app on a
separate server, if you plan on making the cameras public.

There are some much better Toshiba cameras, but they start at $400 and go up.

Richard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Both cameras would be outside. The one in front is under a covered area
but the light is on the low side. The one out in back gets morning sun,
would get some weather and wind.

Maybe a separate tv as the viewing location? Thinking wireless to reduce
the hassle but the camera's still need power.

Where can I do some reading by reliable sources?

Clark W. Griswold, Jr. wrote:
> Richard <dryland@3-eagles.com> wrote:
>

>>Wanting to set up 1 or 2 cam's (wireless) for my home (front and back
>>outside). Looking for suggestions on good units that will work with and
>>thru my wireless router (Netgear).
>>
>>Any comments on your experiences are appreciated.
>

> How much do you want to spend?
>
> I've tried both the Netgear and the DLink DCS-1000. They run around $200. At
> this price point, you get a functional unit, but just. Neither handles low light
> very well, both are very sensitive to bright light, low contrast (snow, sand)
> and wash out easily. Both are for heated, indoor use only. Both have to be
> positioned carefully so as not to be looking at the sun, but that's true of
> almost any camera.
>
> One of the two (sorry, forgot which) requires that you host the Java app on a
> separate server, if you plan on making the cameras public.
>
> There are some much better Toshiba cameras, but they start at $400 and go up.

Richard <dryland@3-eagles.com> wrote:

>Both cameras would be outside. The one in front is under a covered area
>but the light is on the low side. The one out in back gets morning sun,
>would get some weather and wind.

Both of the cameras I cited require temps of at least 32F and no condensing
humidty. That rules out most parts of the US, assuming you are posting from the
US.

>Maybe a separate tv as the viewing location? Thinking wireless to reduce
>the hassle but the camera's still need power.
>
>Where can I do some reading by reliable sources?

You can Google on security camera and get loads of hits. Non-IP cameras are
definity cheaper and many have IR illuminators for no-notice operation at night.
They also have better weather ratings and you can buy enclosures for them. Even
with wireless IP, you still have to run power, so running the coax for video
isn't much more of a problem.

The IP cameras are nice in the sense that you can view them from anywhere, but
they make converter boxes that will do the same thing for standard cameras.

Clark W. Griswold, Jr. wrote:

> Richard <dryland@3-eagles.com> wrote:
>

>>Wanting to set up 1 or 2 cam's (wireless) for my home (front and back
>>outside). Looking for suggestions on good units that will work with and
>>thru my wireless router (Netgear).
>>
>>Any comments on your experiences are appreciated.
>

> How much do you want to spend?
>
> I've tried both the Netgear and the DLink DCS-1000. They run around $200. At
> this price point, you get a functional unit, but just. Neither handles low light
> very well, both are very sensitive to bright light, low contrast (snow, sand)
> and wash out easily. Both are for heated, indoor use only. Both have to be
> positioned carefully so as not to be looking at the sun, but that's true of
> almost any camera.
>
> One of the two (sorry, forgot which) requires that you host the Java app on a
> separate server, if you plan on making the cameras public.
>
> There are some much better Toshiba cameras, but they start at $400 and go up.

slater

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2004
You can use a DVR capture card put in your computer, or get a DVR standalone and they would take any camera and make it available for viewing on your computer, or you can view (if you wish to set it up) over the internet from the office or while on vacation, from any computer in the world with internet connection. See http://www.surveillance-equip.com for high quality low cost cameras and see http://surveillance-equip.com/DVR-system.html for computer DVR recording

slater

airtight555