hein

Hello out there.
I have a problem since I installed service pack 2 for Win
XP: when I try to open my email inbox through the Windows
Messenger icon on the toolbar, Outlook Express opens
itself! In order to get to my emails in Hotmail, I have to
do this via the Internet Explorer.
Has anybody a clue?
Thanks a lot, Hein van Dijk.

Greetings Hein,

The Windows Messenger version within SP2 does not have support for Add-ins which is required
for Hotmail support within Windows Messenger. As such, in order to get this functionality
back, you'll either need to downgrade to the previous version of Windows Messenger
(http://www.microsoft.com/windows/messenger/download.asp) or use MSN Messenger instead
(http://messenger.msn.com/Download).
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"Hein" <heinvandijk10@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello out there.
> I have a problem since I installed service pack 2 for Win
> XP: when I try to open my email inbox through the Windows
> Messenger icon on the toolbar, Outlook Express opens
> itself! In order to get to my emails in Hotmail, I have to
> do this via the Internet Explorer.
> Has anybody a clue?
> Thanks a lot, Hein van Dijk.

Hi

SP2 is resetting Internet Explorer defaults among other things it makes
Outlook Express your Email program. To get Windows Messenger (WM) to go to
your Hotmail you need to open Internet Explorer, click TOOLs-INTERNET
OPTIONS-PROGRAMS.

Where it says EMAIL select HOTMAIL from the box. Now exit the Internet
Explorer program by clicking OK at the bottom of your screen.

When you now click MY E-MAIL INBOX within IM you will be taken to the
Hotmail web page. Click MAIL to go to your inbox.

Now when you open Outlook Express it will warn you that it isn't your
default message handler, or something to that effect. Where it asks if you
want to make it your default click no or Internet Explorer will be reset and
WM will bring up Outlook Express aging. Also check the do not show this
again box or the warning message will come up every time you open Outlook
Express.

They don't make it easy. Microsoft says they are working on the problem.

Dick Kirk
"Hein" <heinvandijk10@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello out there.
> I have a problem since I installed service pack 2 for Win
> XP: when I try to open my email inbox through the Windows
> Messenger icon on the toolbar, Outlook Express opens
> itself! In order to get to my emails in Hotmail, I have to
> do this via the Internet Explorer.
> Has anybody a clue?
> Thanks a lot, Hein van Dijk.

Hi Dirk,