Doom III slaughters NV30 and 3GHZ P4!

eden

Champion
Wow, I am surprised no one here tried to start a conversation regarding NV30 and the THG article or other websites.

Anyways, PLEASE have your comments here.
I currently do not have time, it's almost sleep time, however I'd like you guys to see just how much Doom III slaughters at even 1280*1024 :frown: , and the NV30 VS R9700 and Ti4600, looks like old trashed resolutions will be needed: <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1749&p=7" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1749&p=7</A>

Anyways, I can say the NV30 is exciting, and yes the 48GB/sec has been proven by Anandtech as well, as an estimated bandwidth, so AMD_Man is right about it. 16GB but with 4:1 compression. This should theoretically prove competition to ATi's card in bandwidth.
I am very disappointed however that even with 0.13m, nVidia destroys all hope for better multitexturing by putting 8 pipes with 1 TMU...

In any case, it seems worthy of competition, vertex and pixel shading features by CineFX are just jaw-dropping, 65 536 vertex instruction, this ain't no quantum leap lol.
In anycase, all comment here!

--
*You can do anything you set your mind to man. -Eminem

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
I noticed that too....considering I pull an easy 30 fps on D3 w/ my measly quadro dcc, I think this is some sort of error. I mean carmack musta been smoking something weird if he decided to make something brand spanking new uber vid cards can't run too well. Sh!t, he said an R9700 would be perfect for it, and 33 FPS does not cut it as perfect! Hoinestly beleive it's an error.

Kentucky: 15 million people, 5 last names....

eden

Champion
Actually if my eyes are accurate enough, the speccs read NVDEMO3. IIRC NVDEMOs stress the hell out of cards, so perhaps actual performance is much higher?
I agree though, if Carmack is supposedly the king of optimization, it would have much more performance than 30FPS.

--

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Lemme learn some more C++ an I'll optimize his balls off:) Already made my quantum simulation run like 10x faster.......ok, droning on cause I'm writing 20 page paper on it...

Kentucky: 15 million people, 5 last names....

eden

Champion
You're nuts man, you're just nuts! :tongue:

Oh well, better not sidetrack this thread, I need it for tommorow to be filled with some kind of NV30 discussion.

--

Ghostdog

Distinguished
May 28, 2002
I was wondering about the name of the demo. It sounds nVidia-optimized. So comparing the R9700Pro vs. the GFfx would be unfair with this demo. Also, if they´re running the same alpha that was leaked, I´ll rather wait until some "official" benchies appear.

<font color=red>I´m starting to feel like a real computer consultant.</font color=red>

eden

Champion
Leaked alpha?
nVidia would rather shoot its stock holders down one by one than ever using a public leak!

--

Ghostdog

Distinguished
May 28, 2002
OK, so Doom III might be more done than it was in the alpha (0.02, sheesh), but I think it still isn´t "all there" and Carmack might do some more optimizing before it goes gold.

<font color=red>I´m starting to feel like a real computer consultant.</font color=red>

eden

Champion
Of course, no denying that, but if it was this weak currently, there is a problem.

However my theory is simply based on what I think is written on the speccs, and it says NVDEMO3. Anyone with a good eye might tell me if I'm right or not, so I await!
NVDEMOs are known to stress as much as possible off the cards. The Ti4600 would get 300FPS in Q3, yet that score is 3 times less with the NVDEMOs, AND in reality in Q3 the minimum FPS on a Ti4600 is far higher!
So I just say it's an NVDEMO which stresses the cards a lot, and perhaps the score is actually 2-3 times higher. I doubt 3 times on a scaling-wise FPS when compared to the 9700PRO which would also double or triple, but it would be quite around 100FPS.

--